Wow...I thought my horses were bomb proof. I found this post on Youtube and I have to say I am impr

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It does make me want go out and try it as I'm fairly sure both my riding horse and my driving horse would do those things. Even the yearling will step through just about anything...it's amazing how desensitizing playing with one of those big Horse Balls is!
Leia
My riding horse and favorite driving horse have both been put through more than most people can imagine. They would certainly do those things. And my youngest driving boy is getting there.

Everyone knows my driving mare Tippy. She is most memorable for stopping immediantly when I yelled after loosing my reins and nearly toppling out of my chariot when a weld broke at a full gallop in the chariot class at nationals 2007. This year she proved herself again driving in PMC immediantly before her chariot class. She is used to driving in traffic, parades, through sirens, fountains, groups of motorcycles, past people shooting guns, over foot bridges, docks... We have been galloping and had tires blow that sounded like a gun shot and she whoaed instantly when asked, didnt even startle from the boom. I have spent 10 years driving that horse and have so much faith in her. She trusts me infinitely.

My riding horse is similar. I have owned her 24 years. She can be shot off of and ridden over or through anything (as a kid I was crazy- i rode over railroad bridges, through town, down highways, had her groundtie at restaraunts and freinds houses for hours, and even expected my horse to leap off bluffs with long drops to the water). Now in her old age she has become blind but she has faith in her rider regardless of what she cant see.

With years and trust its amazing what a horse will do for you.

I'm not quite sure where I'm seeing the dangerous situations that some people are talking about?? The horses looked very well trained and in the few instances where the horses hesitated, I loved the way the driver handled it. There was zero punishing-just encouraging. As far as the horse being loaded into a 'too small' trailer-he wasn't loaded all the way in and the horse that they did it with is the one they seem to have put the most training into. They seem like smart people-if they thought the horse would spook, pretty sure they wouldn't have done it because the driver would probably end up more hurt than the horse.

As for novice people watching it and trying it at home-that's their problem isn't it? In the video there are multiple times where they put that the horses are TRAINED. If people watch it and can't understand the term, maybe they need to learn the hard way. God bless the poor horses who end up with stupid handlers.

I think I'm getting old and crabby too!
default_shutup.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not quite sure where I'm seeing the dangerous situations that some people are talking about?? The horses looked very well trained and in the few instances where the horses hesitated, I loved the way the driver handled it. There was zero punishing-just encouraging. As far as the horse being loaded into a 'too small' trailer-he wasn't loaded all the way in and the horse that they did it with is the one they seem to have put the most training into. They seem like smart people-if they thought the horse would spook, pretty sure they wouldn't have done it because the driver would probably end up more hurt than the horse.
As for novice people watching it and trying it at home-that's their problem isn't it? In the video there are multiple times where they put that the horses are TRAINED. If people watch it and can't understand the term, maybe they need to learn the hard way. God bless the poor horses who end up with stupid handlers.
I would agree. There are probably a whole lot of videos out there that scream, "Don't try this at home!" I sure would hope that people aren't learning to train their horses from YouTube videos any more than anyone learning how to downhill ski jump from them, but I suppose there are the stupid ones that could use an "I'm Stupid" sign from Bill Engvall (comedian). Again, I really don't think their reason for posting was to educate people on what to do, but more to advertise their training barn. I think it is a WHOLE lot better than the one Polish video of the two idiot ladies putting that horse to the wagon for the first time and practically getting themselves killed! DUH!

Myrna

Back