Would You? Optional pasture area

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilmiraclesfarm

Reaction score
The property I keep my horses runs right along side water company property. They actually went through our property. Now the coyotes run that pipe line. Normally they do most of their running right before dark or sometimes into the night. Its about 2 acres of just unused field. Right now I keep the horses in the front field by the roadside and the side driveway.

For the most part the coyotes have never bothered us. We are surrounded by over 500 acres of protective and water company land so the coyotes are not starving for food.

If I was to use 4 strand electric fence would you put your horses on it during the day? I wouldn't even think about it before, but I'm running out of pasture space.

I would. I would just make sure to keep the fence lines mowed really low. We have coyote issues here. My Qh's stay out at night, but my minis are in.

[SIZE=12pt]There was an article on here a couple of weeks ago regarding a similar issue and showed how they actually have the wire set up. I'd look back at it. I seem to remember that based on the height of the wire that your looking at doing it's NOT suffficent. It's better to be safe than sorry. Because just when you think it won't happen, it does....[/SIZE]

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly if you are right next door anyway I'd have to say the coyotes won't be a big issue. They don't respect property lines so if they were going to be an issue they would likely have already demonstrated that. I'd go ahead and use it during the day and just bring the horses in closer for the night. Not all coyote packs are going to try to take on a horse, even a little one. Their natural diet is rodents, rabbits and frogs, that kind of thing so they'd have to be pretty hungry to risk injury trying to take down a horse. JMO

Thank you everyone. Our family has lived on this property for over 200 years. Animals have been on it just as long. We have really never been bothered. The coyotes have been raised with us right there. I couldn't imagine they would be starving with all the wildlife surrounding us but I guess I just love these guys so much I would hate for it to be my fault if any of them ever got hurt.

I would make sure I kept the pasture mowed and the hot wire hot and get a protection animal such as a llama or Donkey or such.

Yes and No.

I would use that property dilligently since you need it, but I would do it with field fencing. Then I would add several or 4 strands of your hot wire to that. May sound like over kill but better to be safe than sorry since you know for a fact you do have a potential situation that can turn deadly.

Here in my back field I actually have double fencing of field fence. The first one surrounds the perimeter and I have left the weeds and wild shrubs grow up on it on purpose. Then, a few feet in front of that is my fence that the horses actually come in direct contact with, plus hot wire.

Good luck to you and stay safe.

Yes and No.
I would use that property dilligently since you need it, but I would do it with field fencing. Then I would add several or 4 strands of your hot wire to that. May sound like over kill but better to be safe than sorry since you know for a fact you do have a potential situation that can turn deadly.

Here in my back field I actually have double fencing of field fence. The first one surrounds the perimeter and I have left the weeds and wild shrubs grow up on it on purpose. Then, a few feet in front of that is my fence that the horses actually come in direct contact with, plus hot wire.

Good luck to you and stay safe.
I would love to put something more permanent up, but becuase the water company took this part over we can't. Were not even supose to leave anything on it. Vehicles or Woodchip piles. The water company is required to have access to it when they need to. Thats why I figured the electric fence. Its not permanent and can easily be taken down.

I wouldn't take any chances with coyotes. In my area, they regularly take down deer, sheep and any dogs or cats that are left out at night. We live in a nieghborhood that is next to a wild field area and they come right into your yard. they have plenty of other wild animals to eat but our pets seem to be easier targots. They also arn't scared of people. I've also heard that they dug right under a hot fence to get to a friends sheep. They attack in packs, eat what they want and they semi bury the rest for eating later. They can also jump seven feet high. A terrible way to die for any pet. I would sure put any pets up at night.

Hmmm, this is a tough one. I would only turn the horses out during the day and when you are home, coyotes can be active during the day, and would probibly hunt if they are hungry enough, and then bring the horses closer to the house/barn during the evening, and then put them up at night if thats what you do.

Best of luck.

-Dan

I agree with the others, I would want to use it. But also suggest that you plan the fence accordingly. On top of that I would seriously consider finding a good livestock guardian dog. We don't have any livestock guardian dogs right now but our neighbor has a sheep farm with three Pyres and one Anatolian. The dogs patrol our property as much as they do their own. It definitely adds to my comfort level.

Thank you everyone for your imput. I really took it all into consideration and the well being of my horses.

I decided I think I will fence it in, but the horses will only be out on it for a few hours a day and thats it. A guard dog really wouldn't work where I am. Currently there are 7 dogs that live on the property. lol 2 being my mothers, 2 being my Aunts and my cousin has 2 and the other has 1. Not to mention my 2 dogs that sometimes come with me. lol So there are alot of dogs! We joke about putting a sign over the driveway. Mas Mountain & Dog Sanctuary.

I would love to put something more permanent up, but becuase the water company took this part over we can't. Were not even supose to leave anything on it. Vehicles or Woodchip piles. The water company is required to have access to it when they need to. Thats why I figured the electric fence. Its not permanent and can easily be taken down.

This changes my opinion completely. Because the water company can have access to it any time they need to, this means they will be in there with the horses and will be disrupting your fence most likely without your knowledge. Funny how this just came up because last week the power people came into Sonny's field to tend to their power pole. I had no idea they were out there and they left the gate open (ajar) to the main road. Good thing Sonny didn't even notice or he could have easily nudged it open and escaped and got run over. Good thing Amy was on duty because boy did they ever hear it from me and I also filed a complaint with the office and then padlocked the gate. They told me at the office they didn't have to notify me but the next time they would "try" first but they do reserve the right to have access to their pole at all time. (Which cannot be removed).

So now in your case you have a double whammy going on: Coyotes and water people. Call me over protective or paranoid, but I think this is an omen or something, so I'm going to say no, I don't think under both these circumstances I'd be using it.
default_no.gif

Latest posts

Back