Would like advice

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emily's mom

Reaction score
default_wacko.png
: I have a lead on a 2 year old gelding, I would llike to know if Emily and Max will get along, what are the odds that they will not. He is an only donkey now, they want a full size horse and do not have the room for both. The price is right and we were thinking about a sister for Emily in the falll, would a brother be just as good? I guess what I want to know do you keep boys and girls together in the same field, will they get along. I would appreciate any input, thanks,Cheryl ( Emily's mom)

They will make great companions for one another, a lone donkey always seems like such a sad donkey, they love companionship of the same type. I would try to see if you could buy him on trial, just to make sure he will not be aggressive towards your jenny. Do you know at what age he was gelded. I have never had a problem with any of mine getting along. Most geldings are pretty level headed and will get along just fine with a jenny. I think she would accept a "brother" .
default_wub.png
: It also helps so much if they can "meet" thru a fence for a few days before being put together. I would not suggest putting a gelding in with a jack, if down the road your intentionas are to breed, unless you know both animals VERY WELL, jacks can become quit aggressive at breeding. Also, as far as a guard animal instinct, my jennys are great guardians over the mini horses, they wont let anything come into there pasture and have proved themselves over and over with a "visiting bear". Missy, also on the forum has 5 geldings and all are excellent as guardians, my hinnys are gelded and very good at "protecting" so I really dont think it makes much of a differance. My jack is not a good guardian. :no: but he has his girls to protect him. :bgrin Corinne

Last edited by a moderator:
I think she'll do just fine with a Jack ...

I would go with a Jack personally ... because the guard animal instinct kicks in. I need that where I live
default_rolleyes.gif
:

My Jenny's now get spooked from Squirrels
default_wacko.png
:

And I personally prefer Jacks. Extremely Loving & Loyal
default_wub.png
:

My Jenny's are too....but it is different with Jacks
default_yes.gif
:

[SIZE=12pt]**Hay get both :aktion033: [/SIZE]

**Opppsss...just posted on Angelica's screen name....it's Teri from JJFarm

Last edited by a moderator:
when we had our gelding he was best friends with our first jennet... we got more jennets, all got along fine. he also had mini mares in with him. we have since sold him but i wouldn't hesitate to try it for your little girl. just introduce them through the fence for the first few days, we do that with EVERYONE new and it has worked quite well... also when you do let them out together, be with them at first to make sure they don't tussle
default_wub.png
:

Maybe we just have a super natured jack, but Cee Cee stays in with our 3 jennys 24/7 365....

We kept him apart for a year (we did not think jacks and jennys would get along). The people we bought him from had him in a separate field so we figured it was because he was mean to the others. He always seemed so sad though. So we put them all in together and they got along super. I wish we had attempted it sooner, but live and learn. He had a mule friend in with him but they never really hit it off. Now we don't even take him out when the jennys foal...they just turn and look at him and he keeps his distance. It is like they are his little "family".

So I would say try it. It might just work out super!

Yesterday we took a road trip, 3 hours to the valley, to meet Max. He seems really friendly to people, the family that has him has small children. Max does boss their sheep, and they made that very clear. 3 hours back home, then decide to get him. He is dark brown, Emily is mousy gray. If he is too bossy he will live with Cherokee, the quarter horse, so all hopefully will turn out. They, my#2 son and husband, left 2 hours ago, to bring him home. I'm never allowed to go to pick up critters, cause I'd bring others home as well. The familly raises sheep, and they are bottle feeding 2 of them, and the man offered them yesterday......I'll be happy with just Max
default_yes.gif
: I do not know how to post pics, but when they all get home I'll have #1 son post some.

:new_rofl: :new_rofl: You sound like me!! I am banned from going to the animal shelter. Last time I went to get just one kitten, I ended up buying them all (3) because "what if no one else comes in and saves them in time???" I can't just LEAVE the other two there!!! My family about freaked.

We need pics when #1 son can get them up
default_smile.png
))))

Well we did it, Max moved in Sunday afternoon after an uncomfortable 3 hour truck ride home. We put Emily in the barn and put him in her pen. Later once he was settled we brought her out to the fence on a lead. They sniffed each other. After a couple of hours we put them in together he chased her around and she kicked at him. He just took it, and turned his butt toward her. She still sleeps in the barn so she went to bed early. The next day she went in her pen with him. They are really getting along very well, I'm surprised. Yesterday we put them both in with Cherokee, the quarter horse in the picture. Max and Cherokee ran and ran and ran. After Cherokee pooped out Emily ran with him. She never runs, I guess she did need a friend. It would appear as though Cherokee needed a friend also. We will eventually put them all in the same field. When I got home from work today there was 2 male peacocks in a cage in my driveway. Not my idea :eek: . My husband seems to think they will be fine loose in the yard, but he doesn't fall in love with all these critters and worry about them, if they do not come home at night. I don't even let my cats out!! Sorry for the length, no pictures I don't know how #1 son lives at girlfriends alot, next time he's home. Any advice on peacocks? My #2 son's friend call us Old MacDonald's farm....we live in a fishing community. :eek:

:aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033: I LOVE It and it sounds just like my house :bgrin I am so glad to hear things are working out
default_yes.gif
: :bgrin :aktion033: A few days back I got a pygmy goat dropped off, 2 weeks ago, I came home with 6 horses, all very thin..4 of which went to new homes immediately, and 2 I am keeping, all of them are bred and ready to foal soon, Candy Kiss (one of the ones I kept) had a beautiful pinto colt just this morning, who looks just like his Mommy, my buckskin is bagging but has a ways to go yet. Then this morning I got a phone call from a friend about some donkeys...now that is a whole nother story, that you will all find out about in a few weeks. :bgrin
default_yes.gif
: I sure couldnt say NO to that one! I would be worrying about the peacocks at night too.It sure is a good thing we dont all live close to one another :eek: :lol: Corinne

Latest posts

Back