Would a pregnant mare breath different then an open

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wishful

Reaction score
I have an older mare that I adopted from the shelter this year. She was a resuce pony(shetland-not mini. sorry if this upsets anyone) she is 17 years old was a couple hundred pounds underwieght. Lately i have had a suspicious feeling she is in foal(just cant shake the feeling) I have been watching her habits closely and have noticed she breathes different then my other horses, kind-a- like she pulls her belly in and up during the inhale(does that make sense) instead of her flanks going in and out. She is a little sway back but not much, would that make her do this? she keeps getting heavier in the BOTTOM of her belly but her flanks are not sagging or falling in. I have a bllod test on the way but was wondering if anyone noticed one of their mares ever doing this.

Sorry to say this, but it sounds to me like your mare could have heaves, a respiratory disease or condition, I don't know which. If that's the case, do what you can to keep any dust around her to a minimum, including dampening her hay to keep any dust in it away from her. She should not be bedded on shavings, but straw, which can of course, be dampened down slightly. If she were a riding horse, this could restrict her activity.

The only time I've seen a preg horse breathe differently from any other is when foaling is eminent. Their breathing becomes labored sometimes. Of course, I don't actually know if your mare has heaves, and I also don't know what effect this could have on a pregnancy. I'd have her vet checked for both heaves & preg.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with the above post.

Added: Have had a mare with this condition carry and foal several foals. Her condition with always controlled and by leaving her outside with run-in as much as possible, she was fine. When it got hot she had more issues, as well as during heavy pollen seasons. You can keep them quite comfy with meds. Talk with your vet as some can be used in beginning of pregnancy and NOT at end, etc., others not at all. But, the condition can be made tolerable for her. At foaling you especially need to keep a watch on her as it does require far more breathing control (or lack thereof). I always keep oxygen on hand, in case (not just for this) and knew to be ready for her if she needed it. Never did. Their lungs will have damaged tissue, normally, so they do have compromised breathing and you need to be extra cautious with respatory infections, or such.

Also, she won't be able to handle extreme exercise that would tax her lungs but, normal activity is usually fine.

Think of asthma and/or emphysemia in people.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jamie,

I agree with the others..... your older mare may have respiritory issues that need to be addressed by a vet.

Our pregnant girls don't change their breathing until they are getting ready to foal.

MA

:lol: NOt sure -- But I know I huffed & puffed more when pregnant than when not.

Just couldn't resist. !!

You might want to have a Vet do a total exam on her. Our girls don't change their breathing

until they are getting ready to foal.

Sounds like she is having a respiritory problem.

Let us know what you find out from the Vet.

Joyce

sounds to me like thumps which could be life threatening and you dont see it until a mare is in foal. Have you seen her chest thumping?? If you do call a vet asap. this can also happen to mares after foaling too as the calcium is stripped from their body increasing their heart beat and breathing.

Kay

I dont know what hypo -calceamia is but will check into it. Is thumps something like milk fever? Her chest doesnt thump or quiver and her heartrate isnt racing. She eats 12 lbs of crused alfalfa and 5 lbs of senior feed a day, plus coastal hay. I will have to take her in to the big hosipital to get same day results or at least results in a couple of days, My vet would have to send off bloodwork and that takes two weeks.

Your little rescue girl is lucky to have landed with someone who is so concerned with her welfare. On her behalf, I thank you! (hugs)

I totally agree with Little Wee and would have a vet out quickly to get her completely checked out. First, to see if she is pg.... and secondly - she is obviously having some type of stress going on to not be able to breathe normally and has to labor like that - heaves, pneumonia, allergies, could be one of a LOT of things....

I am sure she appreciates you caring for her now!!! Poor girl. Keep us updated on what you find out!

Back