Worried about my mini please help ** pics **

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silverstar

Reaction score
My mini is two in May. He had his teeth rasped at the end of November last year. He had a slight bump on the bottom jaw and the dentist said it was most likely a tooth bump. I felt it today and its huge!!! I have taken pics but ive never had a youngster before but what ive seen of tooth bumps this looks too big and in the wrong place. he shows no pain and no problems eating.

Any ideas?? Im just worried it could be an abcess but though he would show pain if this was the case?? Sorry pics not brill it was going dark.

trailer120.jpg

trailer117.jpg

Not wishing to worry you, but if this 'lump' is inbetween his jaw bones and nearer to his neck than his mouth, it could be strangles. Do you know if there has been an outbreak of strangles in your area. Check with your vet just in case.

There was a thread on here not long ago about strangles, if you can find it you will read some good advice on there.

But you do need to find out what the lump is.

Good luck!

Anna

Dont think its strangles thank god. I have had a pony with strangles and its not the same. . Sorry the pics are not that good. Its a hard lump nearer to his mouth and cant be moved with manipulation. Will ring vet tomorrow but it was the emergency service when i got to the farm so will have to call them tomorrow.

[SIZE=14pt]First, you need to get your vet to look at that bump! If I were to guess, I'd say it's an abcess from a tooth trying to push out a retained cap! Have your vet check his teeth again![/SIZE]

Bill

If it's hard and unmovable and not painful I would bet just a plain tooth bump. That's what your pictures look like. Some horses get none and some get humongous tooth bumps.

When I see big ones like that I have a good equine dentist or a vet good with dentistry (not all vets are) look at it to be sure he is shedding his caps on schedule.

Please let us know how this goes.

Charlotte

Thanks everyone, will defo get the vet tomorrow. My last horse got kicked in teh same spot and broke his jaw
default_sad.png
Dont think this is the same as its grown over the last few months but im parranoid!!!

Not all abcesses move or are soft. My precious Little Prince had a swollen face in a matter of hours and then an abcess burst while we were examining him. The abcess stayed hard as a rock and extremely firm and huge because it was not centralized. The tissue of his cheek acted like a sponge to the abcess. There was no central area to drain. It was caused by a small scratch on the inside of his mouth from a baby tooth that had some sharp edges. The vet felt possible a small piece of hay got in the scratch and created the swelling and abcess. He said the extreme facial swelling that happened (from ear through muzzle on one whole side of his face) can show in a matter of hours.

Well the vet came out today. He doesnt think its a tooth bump but thinks it could be a tooth growing the wrong way, sideways instead of upwards. He's to have an xray to see if we can see whats going on.

Has anyone any experience of a tooth growing the wrong way????

We had one weanling with a tooth that was turned 180 degrees. We had to have it pulled due to the fact it was beginning to affect her chewing. We had it out and she has developed just fine. Our vet said it is not unheard of to have turned teeth. I would imagine teeth could also grow other directions. I am glad to hear you and your vet are on top of it! I am sure you will have a good outcome
default_smile.png
Keep us posted.

Peggy

Wow! That's crazy! I've never had tooth problems. But your post is a good lesson to learn from and what to watch for.
default_rolleyes.gif

Latest posts

Back