Hard mass on side of mini’s face see pics

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My 11 yr old mini mare has a hard,(feels like bone) mass on left side of face on side of jaw (see attached pics) my Vet can’t get out until Tuesday after holiday weekend
I’m Wondering if anyone else has seen this in their minis?

She is current on teeth floating,and all vaccinations, she’s a rescue over 7 yrs ago and has been healthy and had one tooth pulled two years ago. She has no pain when I touch it, it’s not hot or warm to touch.

She is eating and drinking well and active with other minis running around etc.

Attachments

• A8A0CA15-DBF3-4B8D-85B0-664B2013F91F.jpeg
    A8A0CA15-DBF3-4B8D-85B0-664B2013F91F.jpeg
    65.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 4366A7EE-930B-4F9F-AD3D-75869BD4F3AD.jpeg
    4366A7EE-930B-4F9F-AD3D-75869BD4F3AD.jpeg
    55.9 KB · Views: 13
  • 7571D66A-F2F2-4FE0-BFC1-3C6A1128A686.jpeg
    7571D66A-F2F2-4FE0-BFC1-3C6A1128A686.jpeg
    46.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 60832E87-8551-4E4E-9B33-F50CC5A7D102.jpeg
    60832E87-8551-4E4E-9B33-F50CC5A7D102.jpeg
    44.2 KB · Views: 12
My 11 yr old mini mare has a hard,(feels like bone) mass on left side of face on side of jaw (see attached pics) my Vet can’t get out until Tuesday after holiday weekend
I’m Wondering if anyone else has seen this in their minis?

She is current on teeth floating,and all vaccinations, she’s a rescue over 7 yrs ago and has been healthy and had one tooth pulled two years ago. She has no pain when I touch it, it’s not hot or warm to touch.

She is eating and drinking well and active with other minis running around etc.
She also has no fever, and no nasal discharge.

That looks very much like a wad of hay quidded up in her cheek. You can try fishing with a finger between her cheek and her teeth--just be very careful as doing this can earn you a chomped finger. I will be very surprised if she does not have a bunch of hay stuffed up in there.

It does look like a wad of hay but if not, perhaps a wasp or bee sting? Does she rub her face at that spot?

Thank you all so much! Once I was able
To really dig in and a few sweeps...it was stuck hay! So relieved! I have been on this forum since my first mini many years ago, and You all are just the best! That was a first in 20yrs You learn something everyday, and so grateful!

The only thing is, when they quid the hay in the cheek that way it usually means a problem with the teeth. Hay is not supposed to get wadded up like that. I would recommend that you get an equine dentist to check her mouth.

The only thing is, when they quid the hay in the cheek that way it usually means a problem with the teeth. Hay is not supposed to get wadded up like that. I would recommend that you get an equine dentist to check her mouth.
I’m on it! Thank You!

That looks very much like a wad of hay quidded up in her cheek. You can try fishing with a finger between her cheek and her teeth--just be very careful as doing this can earn you a chomped finger. I will be very surprised if she does not have a bunch of hay stuffed up in there.
Fingers all okay! Thank You!

I’m on it!
They are due for equine dentist, thanks!

Back