Worming with safgaurd

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zoey829

Reaction score
I have a few ?'s-

1. I am ordering my worming supplies. I used to do a single dose of safegaurd in mid summer. I read postes before that state you should use safegaurd for 3 days in a row. Is that accuare? Or is that just when you dont know the horses worming schedule.

2.Also, if you dont know the horses worming schedule how do you start off worming them?

3. does jeffers sell the liquid version of safegaurd?

Thanks so much!!!

Hi!

To answer your questions:

1. I use single doses of Safeguard. You can do a purge with it, but I personally, never have.

2. Any new horse coming in here gets a dose of Equimax (ivermectin + praziquantel) no matter what I do or don't know about it's previous worming history.

3. I do believe Jeffers sells liquid Safeguard. It may be in the cattle section of their catalog.

Hope that helps!

If I wasn't 100% sure that a horse I just got was wormed in the past on a correct regular schedule, the first thing I would do is a Panacur Power Pak. Panacur and Safegard are the exact same thing.

To do a power pak you do DOUBLE the normal dose every day for 5 straight days.

You can ONLY do this with PANACUR or SAFEGARD.

They can be power packed once a year if you're in a warm area where the worms are active all the time.

I would think Jeffers would carry the liquid. I know KV Vet does.

Good Luck !

Vickie

Thanks. Is safeguard ok to use in single dose with your normal worming routine? Or should that be given for 5 days in double dose??

Safeguard/Panacur is one of the wormers I use in single dose according to weight.

Our vet tells us to use it 5 days in a row if you are wanting to get rid of all worms in all stages.

We could not find Safe Guard or Panacur in any of the Jefferes catalogues, etc so we had our vet order it in for us. It came under the Safe Guard label

I bought Safeguard from Jeffers and it is in the catologue I got. You can get a tube big enough to deworm 4 large horses, that would do quite a few minis. Or you can get a single dose that is good for 1 large horse or a couple minis. This is in paste form. They also sell liquid but for cattle. I buy ALL my dewormer from Jeffers, a lot cheaper than buying it from my vet.

I would be very cautious if you do not know the history of the horse. You can actually cause in impaction if you do a heavy deworming. We usually give Ivermectin by wt/dose. Then in about 5 days we give another dose. We then do a power pack 10 days later.

My guy gets Safeguard as one of his rotational dewormers.

It is available from Jeffers - Here is the info from their site.................. oops sorry - I just saw you wanted the liquid safeguard- will leave the info on the paste anyway

http://www.jeffersequine.com/ssc/product.a...amp;pf_id=11504

Safe-Guard® Paste

(Intervet)

10% Fenbendazole

For the control of lungworms, stomach and intestinal worms.

3.2 oz calibrated oral syringe deworms 4000 lbs body weight.

290 gm (10.2 oz) tube treats 12,760 lb body weight

(290 gm requires Applicator Gun)

Safe for breeding stock, pregnant cows, stressed cattle, and lactating dairy cattle and horses. 13-day slaughter withdrawal. Apple Flavor.

Perfect for:

General parasite control in rotational deworming

Deworming multiple horses in the same barn

Horses weighing more than 1,250 pounds.

Safe-Guard® and Panacur® are both manufactured by Intervet. Panacur® is distributed by veterinarians and Safe-Guard® is sold over the counter. Feel free to compare the label of both products and if you have any questions, contact us.

The Safe-Guard® POWER-DOSE™ consists of (2) 25 gram tubes (per 1100 lbs) per day for 5 consecutive days.

As a treatment for:

Incoming horses as first step in rotation program

Competition horses 2 to 4 weeks prior to start of show season

As yearly larvicidal dose for all stages of encysted small strongyles

May improve debilitated or thin horses

Your veterinarian may recommend a Power-Dose™ if your horses experience chronic diarrhea or colic

NOTE: Click HERE to see Deworming Rotation Schedule.

Clicking this link will open the Schedule in a new window or tab.

The Jeffers site will remain open in the background.

FREE Western Picture Frame

With the purchase of (6) Safe-Guard Paste Single Dose (I6-S2) AND (6) Prestige V Single Dose (I6-PY). Limit 1 per customer. While supplies last. Expires: 04/11/2008

I6-S2 Safe-Guard® Paste, 1 ds $6.19

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back