Worming mini horse

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crystalsowner

Reaction score
I need to get info about working my mini. Not only is she a mini but she is also pregnant. I was thinking about holding off on the worming til I could find out if she was pregnant but she rubs her butt on the bars ALOT. So I wanna make sure. What is the best kind of worner to use on maybe pregnant mini mare?

Also do they rub there butt if they are pregnant or do you guys think she could be wormey? I notice her doing it many times a day, and Im not out there most of the day because of the heat here. 115ish.

It's not uncommon for a pregnant mare to press her butt up to a wall or fence to relieve some pressure in the last part of the pregnancy. If she's early pregnant and rubbing, I'd guess either worms or possibly lice.

We keep our pregnant girls on their normal worming cycle. Ivermectin and Strongid are both safe. And then IMMEDIATELY after giving birth, we worm her again with Ivermectin. This helps the foal and seems to reduce the chance of foal scours.

You could start with a fecal exam to see if there is a serious parasite load. The vet may recommend a wormer. Horses will scratch that do not necessarily have parasites. It just feels good. A flashlight in the dark can show up pin worms under the tail.

You might check the end of her tailbone and see if there is a tick, or perhaps just some scaly skin. Try bathing her with a coal tar based shampoo, paying particular attention to the end of the tailbone.

Can you keep her in the shade during the hottest part of the day? This seems to help my horses if I confine them in a shady area during the afternoon.

When it gets 115 here, I also hose mine off a couple of times a day. They pretend like they don't like it sometimes, but it does keep them more comfortable.

Good luck!

Your mare may also have a dirty udder. It causes discomfort and can cause them to rub their butts.

It's not uncommon for a pregnant mare to press her butt up to a wall or fence to relieve some pressure in the last part of the pregnancy. If she's early pregnant and rubbing, I'd guess either worms or possibly lice.

We keep our pregnant girls on their normal worming cycle. Ivermectin and Strongid are both safe. And then IMMEDIATELY after giving birth, we worm her again with Ivermectin. This helps the foal and seems to reduce the chance of foal scours.
I just got her a few days ago. And when and if shes pregnant is unknown. Thank you for the info
default_smile.png

You could start with a fecal exam to see if there is a serious parasite load. The vet may recommend a wormer. Horses will scratch that do not necessarily have parasites. It just feels good. A flashlight in the dark can show up pin worms under the tail.

You might check the end of her tailbone and see if there is a tick, or perhaps just some scaly skin. Try bathing her with a coal tar based shampoo, paying particular attention to the end of the tailbone.

Can you keep her in the shade during the hottest part of the day? This seems to help my horses if I confine them in a shady area during the afternoon.

When it gets 115 here, I also hose mine off a couple of times a day. They pretend like they don't like it sometimes, but it does keep them more comfortable.

Good luck!
She is a really good weight actually a bit on the fat side [if not pregnant] so I dont think shes have an overload of worms, but i suppose you never know. I will try the flshlight trick. Will also check her tailbone.

She is in shade all day long, all time time except when I turn her out for a few hours, which I did for the first time today.

Your mare may also have a dirty udder. It causes discomfort and can cause them to rub their butts.
Will see if i can wash her just in case.
default_smile.png
Thank you.

If I were you, I would definitely de-worm her and then again at least a month before she foals. I have read up on this a lot on several forums. From what I have read, it is crucial to keep on top of the worm issues. Type in an internet search for types of worms and areas that will plague your horses the most. There is a lot of info on this. I also am careful to watch them closely the day after I de-worm them to see how they are responding.

Our pregnant mare also rubbed a lot. She was very uncomfortable in the udder area and was trying to scratch that area. I cleaned it with a warm gentle soap and water to remove a waxy dirt build up that gets in the crack areas of the skin. You may see dark dirt flakes come off on your rag. It really did help her discomfort to clean up in the folds of her udder area. After she foaled, she did quit rubbing her tail. I de-wormed her as soon as I could safely do so after she foaled and was moving her bowels well.

Just wanted to say, pregnant or not, NEVER, EVER use Quest (or that type of wormer) on your minis! Too easy to overdose and even a small overdose can be and has proven to be FATAL!!!

If not pressure from the foal, worms, or lice, often horses will rub if they have dirty bums, udders, or sheaths.

Latest posts

Back