Looking at starting a daily wormer and would like feedback / advice

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sanny

Reaction score
Are they worth it? Do you see a noticeable difference??

I worm our horses every 8 weeks and rotate brands. I'm finding out a lot of people that show and a lot of trainers also feed a daily wormer. Why is that?

Here are some I am considering. The first one is interesting, but I've never heard of it before. It combines a coat conditioner along with it and it is cheaper than the others

NU-image Guardian which combines daily wormer (pyrantel tartrate which appears to be the main ingredient in all the daily wormers) and coat conditioner-basically it is the Nu-Image stuff for horses coat with wormer added in. Per dose, this one is actually the cheapest, so I am wondering why and if anyone has used it and has any feedback.

Strongid C 25 lb bucket $47.95

Strongid C 2X (extra concentrated, so you feed a lot less per dose) 10 lb pail $35.95 50 lb bag $151.95

Equi Aid CW (also extra concentrated) 10 lb pail $31.95 or 50 lb bag $136.95 which makes this one the most expensive by far. Why?

Is it better??

Strongyle Wormer 25 lbs. $35.95. Never heard of this one, looks generic.

I'm a little confused and would like more information from those of you that have used any of these.

Sanny theres an article in this months THE HORSE magazine regarding a study with daily wormers. They found that the horses worms came back full force because they got immunity to the daily wormer. My old vet in Illinois really discouraged us from using one because he felt that anytime you give something low dose everyday the parasites get immune to it. But then i have heard people that have had great results?

I used to feed mine the StrongidC, later the double strength when it came out. I used it in conjuntion with pastes four times a year (currently paste 6 times). That was my program for 4 or 5 years. I wanted the colic insurance. I stopped using it after I had fecals run (after a colic BTW) and felt the parasite load was way too heavy for the money I was putting into the daily wormer. I went back to rotating pastes every-other-month on my vets recommendation.

Mary, my string of quarter horses were on Strongid C daily wormer way back when it first hit the market and seemed to be all the rage. It seemed like the way to go at the time.

In the first place, to do it "right" so to speak, all the horses were first de-wormed by tube worming by the vet, you know, the old fashioned way. Then, that very next day was started on it. At the time, it was costing me $50. per month per horse.

Now then, I had fecals checked periodically and there were in fact different worms always present. How could that be? So at the end of I think it was about the 9th or 10th month I said this is just too stupid, and way too costly and went from there to the paste wormers and then twice a year double dosed strongid and also never had my horses tubed again. I think that stuff is a real waste.

Latest posts

Back