Wormer question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mominis

Reaction score
Hi guys.

I spent my morning measuring out feed and getting my ziplocks all ready to take to the barn tomorrow for our boy's arrival tomorrow night (God willing). He will be getting the same ration and same type that he was getting at Taylor's to begin with, just plain rolled oats plus good hay. Three days after he's been here, provided his stools are moist but solid and he is settling in okay, I plan to start him on Strongid. Obviously, I'll have to worm him first. He was last wormed on January 23 with Ivermectin.

I would like to get your thoughts on worming him. First, how do you feel about worming him three days after he gets here, provided that he seems to be settling in fine? Second, as he was wormed with Ivermectin in January, do you think I should worm with Praziquantel on the 9th or do another Ivermectin? And finally, since Zimectrin Gold has both Ivermectin and Praziquantel, is that safe to give to minis? That may be a nice compromise. I'm on the fence about it and I'd like to see what you guys think. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Praziquantel kills Tapeworms only, so it can only be used as well as, not instead of, Ivermectin.

Since there has been a recent health scare on Zimecterin Gold, I would hold off on using it (even though I have not had any personal problem, I think it is wise to listen to these things)

If you can get Praziquantel separately this is the way I always do it, it is safe to give the two wormers together.

I would also do the five day Fenbendazole (Panacur) course...again, this is an "as well as" thing.

Since he is now quite overdue for worming, I would be inclined to give him the Ivermectin dose alone, this month, then do everything in eight weeks time.

I would do the same as Jane. I'm curious, though. I used Zimectrin gold on my guys last month; what's the problem with it?

Honestly. I worm any horse (granted it is healthy) as soon as it is off the trailer. Any horse that is sold or being sent off the property for any length of time is wormed before they get on the trailer and as soon as they come home again.

I haven't heard anything on Zimectrin Gold either, are you able to fill us in Jane?

I'm also curious about the Zimectrin Gold scare and would be interested in hearing more about what the issue is.

I like to use the Panacur Powerpack also, but I have always done it in the fall. It never even crossed my mind. I think I'm going to play it safe and go with Zimectrin, just regular on the 8th, the day before he starts his Strongid. Then when the vet comes next month to boost his flu/rhino and check his teeth, I'll talk to him about doing the Powerpack after that. Good suggestion. Thanks.

OK, this is off another Forum but, apparently, people are having a problem with what sounds like an allergic reaction, in Zimecterin Gold.

I have researched the chemicals, and the base, used in it and can only surmise that they must either have produced a "bad batch" or that the chemicals in the wormer were not correctly mixed.

I am, however, alarmed enough to not buy it for a little while.

I tend not to buy "ready mixed" wormers unless they are on really cheap offer, but I understand there is difficulty getting Praziquantel on it's own, in the States??

From what I've seen, yes. It is difficult to get Praziquantel by itself here. When I was researching it, I immediately found the Zimectrin Gold. So, to be honest, as a loyal user of Zimectrin with no problems ever, I would have used Zimectrin Gold without a second thought, had you not said anything about problems in it's use. I'm really glad that you mentioned this.

I wonder if we've had similar issues with it in the States. I think I'm going to check around about it today and see if I can find anything. Once again, thank you for your input, it is greatly appreciated.

Oh, Gee I wormed everything with Zimectrin Gold last week. They all seem fine.

Wow, rabbitsfizz, I am SO glad that you mentioned the problems with Zimectrin Gold. I did some research and I found that there is an issue with it and it isn't limited to a bad batch of wormer. It isn't the active ingredients that is causing the problem, it seems it is one of the inactive ingredients doing it.

Many people have reported chemical burns in the mouth from using the product. Some people, who didn't see visible signs of chemical burns, still had reactions in their horses from signs of neurological issues to ulcers and colic-like symptoms. When scoped, there were signs of burns in the throat and even deeper.

We will certainly not be using Zimectrin Gold! Your mentioning this was such a great thing. I would never have suspected a problem, as I've never had issues with Merial products before. Thanks heaps!

Here are some quotes from other forums that I have found discussing this topic:

"Its a chemical burn and they have had enough complaints that they not only changed the packaging but they pay for all the Vet bills and even for full courses of GastroGuard. They have an entire department that exists just to collect information on the burns and pay out the claims. They know and they have known for a long time.

Its not the active ingredient--its something in the carrying agent. Nobody should have to assume the risk of a bad carrying agent if there are other products with the same active ingredients that do not cause the burns.

Once again, get the word "reaction and allergic" out of your minds. Vaccines have reactions. Foods cause allergic reactions. ZG burns the mouth in certain cases. I am not "allergic" to fire or acid but its going to burn me anyway. I am not super senstive to battery acid but its going to burn anyway.

There have been no reported burns from Equimax. The makers of ZG have had more then enough time to figure out why their product burns.

Mix ZG with plain water at a rate of 1:20 and very dilute ZG had a ph high enough to burn. Higher then 12. There is no reason to sell a product designed to be put in the mouth that reacts badly with water. I didn't have the nerve to even put a little solution on my arm to see if it burned.

The warning on the label?? Transient reaction in some horses. Yes, thats true, but if you just burned a hole in your horses mouth even if it will heal in time that does not make you feel any better. And thats just the part we can see. My horse needed 4 weeks of GG to heal the "transient reaction" that burned him one end to the other.

If I had just used Equimax that would not have happened at all. There is no excuse for that kind of burn if the stuff can be made safely and cheaper by another company.

I think the company is trying to find out why the burns happen, but they aren't trying hard enough. My join date is when my horse got burned and there were threads here that went back to 2005 on the subject.

I had used the stuff with no problems before too, but if it gets in the wrong place at the wrong time and saliva starts flowing to wash it off it turns into a very caustic base that burns. And until the ZG is all cleared off and the tounge and throat and face swell up too big to swallow, all that solution is being swallowed.

Both active ingredients are used in humans. I suggest anyone who thinks the burns from ZG are just a rare uncontrollable reaction put a tiny tiny dab on the inside of your cheek and then swish a glass of water in your mouth. Oh wait, better not, humans can breathe if their throats swell shut.

And another:

"On Monday, April 28th, I had a vet come to vaccinate my horses. He

also administered a paste wormer, Zimecterin Gold. He used a paste

instead of the gun administered liquid wormer, both produced by Merial,

due to a national recall on the liquid wormer. It is precipitating out

and some horses were getting no dose or 5X the dose. So Merial sent

many cases of Zimecterin Gold. After the vet left I went past my horse

and noticed that his mouth was partially open. Looking closer I saw a

very large swelling inside his mouth on the same side as the wormer was

given. At first I thought it might be an allergic reaction (I've never

used this product). My horse's head was lowered and his eyes closed. He

was very lethargic and had small hemorrhages on his gums, which were

pale. I called the vet and treated my horse with antihistamine and

bute. Some time later I checked on the internet for allergic reactions

to this product and was surprised to see several incidents of not

allergic reactions, but CHEMICAL BURNS from this product. I then

checked my donkey and he did not have swelling but did have a burn on

the inside of his mouth. The other horse was ok. The vet returned and

gave my horse IV dex. He was unaware of the problem. Reactions to the

muzzle and mouth (redness, peeling skin, sloughing skin, rotting odor,

swelling) are the most common but ulcers and colic have also been

observed. When I spoke with the Merial rep, his answer was, 'we know

about that', and he seemed almost disinterested. Even if you have

successfully used the product before, your equine can still react.

Obviously most equines don't react but I don't think the risk is worth

it since there are many other products available."

The strange thing is I went straight to look at the "carrier" that they use (most are lactose base, as most human medicines used to be until lactose intolerance reared it's head) they do not seem to have changed their ingredients, or done anything new in....well, forever!

If you have used it and they are OK, that's great, I am not trying to start a panic, just handing on information.

I do have to say, at this point, that, before I heard all the problems, I had used Quest and had NO problems whatsoever with it.

There are still people on this Forum who use it and do not appear to have any problems...BUT, having seen the evidence for myself, I would never, ever use it again.

And it is not nearly as efficient at getting encysted small strongyles as Panacur Powerpack, anyway!

I have not, I must in all fairness stress this, seen any evidence about Zimecterin, I have only read what Momini has put up, which is not scientific basis, just the (understandable)reaction of people whose horses have had a reaction to it, and I have also heard that some of the affected horses had mouth problems, anyway. Given the way that wormers are absorbed it is not too hard to work out that if you put wormers into the mouth of an animal with sores/bleeding gums/small cuts you are asking for trouble, so , PLEASE do not start a witch hunt on Zimecterin until the company itself has had a chance to look at the facts and made a statement.

I would, however, also suggest not using it until that has happened.

Being a cynic, I do know that nothing motivates a company to look into a problem better than a drop in sales!!

Oh, I certainly don't wish to start a 'witch hunt' on Zimectrin or their products. However, I think it is good to know what the risks are and the problems others have had with use of the product. On the Zimectrin website, they do put this cautionary footnote in regards to Zimectrin Gold:

ZIMECTERIN Gold

Warning: Not for use in humans. Keep this and all drugs out of reach of children. In horses there have been rare reports of swelling and irritation of the mouth, lips and tongue following administration of ZIMECTERIN Gold. These reactions have been transitory in nature. Do not use in other animal species as severe adverse reactions, including fatalities in dogs, may result.

I think I am going to steer clear of it and go with just a regular Ivermectin dose in three days. Then have make sure my vet has no problem with going forward with a Panacur Powerpack. I'm so new to minis, I just don't want to use anything that could be damaging to him.

I've heard stories of mouth burns from Zimectrin Gold for a year or two now. When I first heard some of the stories, word was that the Equimax (same active ingredients but I think different inactive ingredients?) was much safer--that product was not causing the same problems at that time. I don't know if that has changed--I haven't heard that it has, but then I hadn't heard any word on recent problems with the Zimectrin Gold either, perhaps because everyone I know has stopped using it.

I would suggest checking out the Equimax & use it instead if you're wanting the ivermectin/praziquantel combination.

If you look, you can find Praziquantel in liquid form. It is not as easy to find, but is more meant to give with a dosing gun.

Sounds like there is an additive causing minor irritation. But at this point no one has heard anything of Equimax?

I tried to find articles on lone last night, and i have a call into OSU today. See what they say. Sometimes it isn't much of anything.

Although I have previously preferred/used a two day, double dosage of pyrantel pamoate("Stongid P", others) for deworming that will include tapeworm removal, I fairly recently decided to try the ivermectin/praziquatel combo. When I read the ingredient list of "Zimecterin Gold" VS "Equimax", I chose "Equimax", and have used it a couple of time now with no issues. Reason I chose it? The percentages of the two active ingredients made more sense to me. The ivermection percentage of "Equimax" matches that of all of the 'straight' ivermectin paste dewormers I've found,which seemed to me to make more logical sense that the LOWER ivermectin percentage of "Zimecterin Gold" and the praziquantel percentage of "Equimax" (almost twice that of that in the "Zimecterin Gold"!) also just seemed more reasonable to me. Additionally, "Equimax" is usually less expensive, AND, a tube is good for a somewhat higher number of lbs. of weight, when dosing. JMHO.

Margo

Geez! I am so glad for getting this information! I will worm again end of May and that is my schedule for Zimecterin Gold. Not no more!

On the forums that I quoted, they also were discussing Equimax as an alternative to Zimectrin Gold. I didn't see any negative comments about it. I may give that a try on down the line, but as a precursor to starting my daily Strongid, I'm going with a regular Ivermectin.

Maybe I'm overly cautious. My husband is laughing at me because I went and bought carrots to welcome our new boy home when he arrives and I bought shredded. He asked me why on earth I bought shredded and I told him that, with the large horses I used to insist that carrots be cut length-wise and thin to avoid choke. With a mini, I have no idea about choke risks and I thought I'd play it safe. He just shook his head and laughed at me.
default_laugh.png
lol

But, I would rather err to the conservative in any case. I've never had any problems with Merial's Zimectrin regular. I'm pretty sure that's what I'm going to buy, provided TSC isn't too high in price on it.
default_smile.png

Maybe I'm overly cautious. My husband is laughing at me because I went and bought carrots to welcome our new boy home when he arrives and I bought shredded. He asked me why on earth I bought shredded and I told him that, with the large horses I used to insist that carrots be cut length-wise and thin to avoid choke. With a mini, I have no idea about choke risks and I thought I'd play it safe. He just shook his head and laughed at me.
default_laugh.png
lol
He can quit laughing. Mine won't or don't know how to eat big carrots. They really don't know about "biting" anything that's in my hand. Someone wanted to give them regular carrots at a show and I had to break them into pieces. So I buy those little baby carrots for them. They're happy and so am I (no risk of getting a finger chewed off).

Mine never have a problem with carrots, I give them whole and they chomp down on them and it is something to keep them quiet, too.

I agree about Equimax, the dosage of Ivermectin in Zimecterin has never made sense to me.

BTW, FWIW, the same warning about the side effects is in most Ivermectin based wormers as well.

I would advise checking to make sure the Praziquantel is the same stuff as the tubed one.

It most probably is, but the % could be different, and that is quite important.

About a month ago, we had our vet do a fecal on two thoroughbreds we have here. They are looking terrible, and have been on the same pasture as our other horses, and eating the same hay. No one else looks bad. They were de-wormed one month exactly before the fecal was taken. The fecal showed they were completely full of strongyles. He said there was a lot of controversy about ivomec,. Especially in cattle now. It seems the wormer has neen around for so many years, there is an immunity. He recommended we worm with panacur power pak. We won't be using any ivermectin based wormers again, as we feel it is just throwing away our money. My recommendation to you is have a fecal done, and if the worms are showing up, have your veterinarian recommend another de-wormer.

Fenbendazole (Panacur) has the highest resistance in horses known!

It is not really suitable as a single wormer as it leaves so much untouched.

If you did the power pack every single time it might....might be OK, but it is not something I would do.

Ivermectin resistance in cattle (which is actually a very low resistance) has been known for ages.

It has no correlation to resistance in horses as they are two separate species and worms that can exist in one species will die in another.

I would suggest de-worming thoroughly with Panacur, wait ten days, de-worm with Ivermectin (after WEIGHING the horses!) and then do another faecal check.

It is far more likely that you have been consistently under worming your horses than that they have a resistance to Ivermectin.

Ivermectin has the lowest known resistance in horses and, unless there is a new survey on the market that I have not yet found (possible) has no known resistance in Equids.....yet!

So, no, sorry, I do not agree with your Vet, you will be putting your horses at far greater risk using something as mild as Fenbendazole, with it's 87% resistance level, than by using Ivermectin at the correct dosage.

Latest posts

Back