Wormer question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Speaking of correct dosage, my vet has always told me that there is a huge margin for error in wormers. In our biggies, he would have us just give the whole tube, despite weight. Obviously, one couldn't do that with a mini. But do you worm exactly on for the weight that they are, or do you sometimes give a bit more? I'm worming Friday, so I'm really interested in the answer so I know how to go forward with it.

I believe most (if not all) wormers go by 100kg. increments. I give a 200kg. dose to all my adults. It's better to give a bit more than a bit less.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know all about wormer rotation, but I am old fashioned. I will only use 1.87% ivermectin. It has an extremely safe track record. If there is any question about when they were last wormed I'm never afraid to give them another 250 lb of ivermectin in my adult minis. This is my opinion. Always for safety I have given them the dose either morning or mid-day, but I have never had a reaction.

I just came home from a vet visit 20 minutes ago, inside the house to warm up now! My vet just gave my lil mare her vaccines for before foaling and worming. Didn't expect he would worm but, it started a long conversation, and he said everythng Rabbitsfizz just wrote. I am pretty well versed in worming but I know everything changes and I wanted information for this particular area. He informed me that two of his clients have had oral burns with Zimecterin Gold, and advised against using it. He also said according to the latest studies they are worried about resistance in equid with more of the classes of wormers, and so on. But he told me to worm my adult minis at 250 lbs which I already do, and it is better to overworm a little than to underworm, which I already knew. With the wide margin of safety with overdosing amounts, and the problems underworming will cause, its better to go over. I already do this, but I don't give advice unless I have a vet to back it up. I had the luxory to weigh my minis on a large floor dog scale, so I know their weights, but the calculations that go with girth circumference are very, very close. As is the formula for miniatures developed by the staff at Kentucky Equine Research.

Wow, the plot thickens!!!

AFAIK all Ivermectin paste wormers are 1.87%, it is only Zimecterin, which is mixed with Praziquantel, that has a lower dosage.

I could not merely give my girls 200kg, as some are over that weight, so I prefer to weigh them each de-worming session. Under worming is the easiest way possible to get a worm burden really quickly, and I was amazed at how much money I saved when I did each horse individually as per weight.

I do always give a bit extra, though, just to be safe.

Well...I'm pretty sure none of mine are over 440 lbs
default_unsure.png

Latest posts

Back