My boy loves to jump

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zergling

Reaction score
I discovered by accident that my stallion loves to jump. When my final goat died of old age, I moved him to her old stall which was larger and it gave him free access to his paddock and pastures. Instead of using the goat ramp, which was rather steep, he would just jump out the door and clear the ramp completely. To get in, he'd jump in sideways, skipping the ramp. Worried he'd slip going in sideways, I built a longer, wider ramp. He still wouldn't use it. Left to his own devices, he would run at the ramp sideways and still jump on the damn thing. So I tore that down after a few days.

Its been about three years of him jumping in and out of that door. He's good enough now he doesn't need to run. He can stand in front and jump straight in or drop out. With all the jumping, he's eroded the ground even deeper so I need to build that back up before winter. It's a 23" jump not counting the depression which is probably 6 inches now.

I've put eavestrough up to prevent ice and when there is ice I clear it. I also use the snowblower to clear trails for all of them because they would be up to their ears in snow some years.

I still worry he is going to hurt himself and I've considered building up the whole paddock to make it more level with the door. More safe for him. At the same time, this is definitely helping to keep him healthy. He's in and out dozens of times some days.

What do you think?

2018-05-28 20.45.16.jpg

Attachments

• 2018-09-25 12.25.22.jpg
    2018-09-25 12.25.22.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 5
He is an agile little beastie, isn't he :). I had to read your post twice and look at the picture twice to confirm that that is the entry he jumps through! I probably would try to build it up with gravel and backfill it to make a natural ramp, but I bet that would take a lot of packing and "earthwork".
He is VERY handsome. I had a pony who had a mane the same color and I just loved it. He was a solid bay though.

Thank you. I love how is coat constantly changes color through the seasons. He is hilariously fluffy during the winter.:)

As much as I like him getting his exercise this way, I worry more and more lately that he is going to misstep and hurt himself so I came to the same conclusion of Cayuse. I'll make arrangements for a load of gravel this week and I'm going to build it up at least a foot. It will also improve drainage. We've had a lot of rain, over 100mm this past week and their paddocks are bogs where they come out so the girls will get some as well.

Cayuse, what kind of gravel would you suggest? Class A would be nice and smooth but it WILL turn to muck. One inch crushed stone? Two inch?

Here is a couple of more pics of his coat changes. His coat really does make his butt look big :)
2018-02-14 16.29.29.jpg 2018-04-16 15.09.57 2.jpg 2018-07-12 18.58.38.jpg

Here is a couple of more pics of his coat changes. His coat really does make his butt look big :)
View attachment 39310 View attachment 39311 View attachment 39312
I am seeing more stripes in his coat from the last photo. The reason I am interested is because I have a little mare that is a very rare brindled black roan, and so far have only found 4 other minis with that rare brindling . Do you notice it normally or is it what some folks call roan striping? She has been confirmed a brindle by a geneticist that specializes in brindles. I bred the mare and her markings were unexpected.

I've never really noticed the striping in his coat until you pointed it out. Is this brindle then? Sadly, I don't know much about coats and their genetics. My neighbor has a red roan stallion and subsequently has had a number of roan coated offspring but I've not noticed striping. The pattern of their coats is quite different.

I've only bred him the once and his foal is silver black with dapples. I'm not sure which attributes are from him or the mare. Here is a photo of mare and foal. 2018-08-20 16.47.33.jpg

I've never really noticed the striping in his coat until you pointed it out. Is this brindle then? Sadly, I don't know much about coats and their genetics. My neighbor has a red roan stallion and subsequently has had a number of roan coated offspring but I've not noticed striping. The pattern of their coats is quite different.

I've only bred him the once and his foal is silver black with dapples. I'm not sure which attributes are from him or the mare. Here is a photo of mare and foal. View attachment 39313
He is not as intensely striped as my mare but brindling comes in various degrees, some when only seasonably as questionable. He could be one as he is mature and foal markings can change. It would be great if his breeding was known. I love the roans and how they change with the seasons. I have a full brother that is black roan also and there are faint stripes on him but I don't think he is a true brindle, maybe a carrier.
This is a photo of my mare when she was young and being shown.

Your little guy sounds so spunky and fun to have around!
lullaby3redone.JPG

Thank you. I love how is coat constantly changes color through the seasons. He is hilariously fluffy during the winter.:)

As much as I like him getting his exercise this way, I worry more and more lately that he is going to misstep and hurt himself so I came to the same conclusion of Cayuse. I'll make arrangements for a load of gravel this week and I'm going to build it up at least a foot. It will also improve drainage. We've had a lot of rain, over 100mm this past week and their paddocks are bogs where they come out so the girls will get some as well.

Cayuse, what kind of gravel would you suggest? Class A would be nice and smooth but it WILL turn to muck. One inch crushed stone? Two inch?
I'm no help in the gravel dept. I have no idea what kind of gravel to use! Maybe a mixture of some sort, fine stuff to keep it packed, bigger peices for drainage? We used something like that to fill in spots in our barn driveway and it worked pretty good. I don't remember what it was called though. Road Base, Road Gravel???

Madmax, your mare's coat is stunning! The brindle striping is much more obvious on her. I really wish I knew his lineage. Is there a way to DNA test him as is with humans like Ancestry.com etc? I know there is genetic testing for other things but is there a way to determine lineage? The women that I got him from has long since passed.

He is a very entertaining fellow to have around. I plan to drive with him to help harness some of that energy. He is a little wilful at times and I'm still need training experience so I'm teaching myself the basics while working with my mare who is very calm and eager to please. In the meantime I'm getting his groundwork up to speed.

Thanks Cayuse. I think I know the type you mean. I'm calling the gravel place tomorrow.

So I spoke with my farrier as well as the gravel place and I'm going to use a 3/4 inch gravel for the base and 1/4 round or crusher dust to put on top. I'm going to scoop out a small layer of soil, lay down drainage mat and rent a compactor as well. If I don't, the gravel will eventually sink into the mud and it will need to be done in a year or two again. If I do it this way it should be good for many years as long as I keep the manure off of it. The mat and compactor are small expenses but will make it last.

Unfortunately, some bad weather arrived before I could implement my plan. My gravel and sand showed up the same day we got some really cold weather. A few days ago we had a spot of decent weather and the ground unfroze just enough for me to get his side done.

4-5 inches of 3/4 - 1.5 " gravel over drainage mat with another 4-5 inches of sand on top. Built it up as a ramp so he could get in and out without risk of slipping on ice. He was a happy camper. Immediately dropped and rolled his approval on his new footing.

2018-12-26 15.06.21.jpg 2018-12-26 15.33.55.jpg

Latest posts

Back