World Show Funding Re-Instated

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to bump this up,because I feel it is so important. Folks we have a problem. And we have to clean it up. There is so much eybrow raising stuff going on in ASPC/AMHR that it is scarey.

But this business stuff about reinstating the World Show is something else.

What they will try to do is throw us a bone and try to buy us off by saying," okay we get our World Show so you get alittle money too." I say Don't take the bait. The cost is too high. In both dollars and integrity.

Please send your ideas and proposals to your director before the spring meeting. It will do no good to flood the office with phone calls as that is not how this registry works. Its your directors you have to talk to.

Again the budget etc had already PASSED at convention so 2009 was already approved. All this was brought up AFTER it was voted to approve it.

I feel sure there will be no budget for the world show when this comes up for vote in fall 2009. That really does not bother me as I do believe people will step up. I at least hope we can all step up and cover the youth things that are done at this show.

So my question to all of those opposed is once funding for this show is cut will you all still be dissatisfied??

Trace to me anything that promotes small equine is a good thing. We show with many other breeds even though we are not in the fair. I get more people asking me about my horses at this show then any other show I show at. IMO this show has many more spectators then many other shows. Most of the shows we all do are just mostly all of us breeders, trainers and owners. This show gets people who have not been exposed as much to minis and ponies.

this also includes miniatures at the show but it is more known for its ASPC portion. There are just a few shows that bring in 150 ponies and that was in an off year.

I think its much better to look at ways to make more shows like this one vs downgrading this one to a regular one point one judge show. And yes I feel strongly it should only include fair shows the have both minis and ponies. Yep I have my flame suit on for that one
default_smile.png

Once again - keep the show, but lets adjust it to the rating it is, it is rated C - why should it garner 3 points for one judge like an Area show?

The budget can be taken away, and by the outpouring, will probably, which means the OSF show will have to get creative like everyone else.

The youth prizes, will have to be picked up by sponsors, same as above, the OSF show will have to get creative.

And just to note - I am all for promoting small equine, but we need to do this in an educated, wise way.

I am just taking a stab at this, but not sure where you are getting the whole C rated thing, the miniature part may be C rated, but the Classic and Modern I don't beleive are C rated. If that was the case there would only be 4 modern class's to have a C rated show. And the ASPR is A rated as that is the only available rating they have at this time. At the very least without going and looking at the class list the modern would be A rated, and Classic would be B rated, but again that is without looking. If I have time I will fully investigate it and let you know what each one is rated. A C rating for Classics is only 12 class's, I am pretty sure they are offering more than a C rated show, like I said the minis may very well be C rated.

Please send your ideas and proposals to your director before the spring meeting.

I DID email my director as soon as this was first posted and the conf call was mentioned. My director didn't even has the courtesy to let me know they even received my email much less explain to me how they were going to vote. I don't know about other directors, but my area has been like this since I've been a member of AMHR. Somethings will not change...and yes I did vote for the directors I wanted.

So then the OSF gets the same amount of points as a Area show but does not have to have the same amount of required classes as other area shows?

The simple answer here is being avoided by the BOD. Simply change the rule about how many judges Moderns can show under. That would solve this whole issue.

Of course then the OSF would have to work and fundraise to pay for more judges just like every other local show in the country. The OSF would have to do what it takes to make sure they have the draw for exhibitors and come up with a show committee to do so. It is not impossible just ask any of our struggling local clubs that manage to do it year after year with lots of hard work.

Allow them to show under as many judges as the minis and then we have no need to give them money, title or status or extra points.

They can be treated like any other show out there and I am sure those that support the show would continue to go.

Last edited by a moderator:
As I suspected there is nothing at this show that is C rated. The modern show is AAA, which is the highest rating for a show to have, the classic is A rated again the highest rating for a show, ASPR is A rated as that is all they have, and I am not finished with the mini part of the class list. As I see it on the registry list they only have an A or B rating for the minis per the forms that are on the website. I will check it to be sure and will report back. So hopefully we can let it rest that it is a C rated show as this is just not so...

If someone could PM me the class list from the OSF - that would put my suspicions to rest. I have this information second hand, so I would like to put it to rest.

Thanks!

Do we get to find out how the directors voted at this conference call meeting? Will it be posted in the Journal?

I have reviewed the ASPR/ASPC class list offered for the OSF - it is a minimal list of required classes to garner an A rating. So the rating is there and I am letting everyone know - what I heard is erroneous - this is at least an A rated show for ponies.

This show also offers Area 2 another futurity opportunity - This is directed by the Taylor Pony farm. This is new information not given to us.

But still - the points awarded are not addressed correctly and the budget is way too much.

I also still suggest that if they want to keep the 'World' title, then bring the class list up to a top rating for classes and make it more a national level show. This is one of the top shows for Saddlebreds and other gaited horses/ponies.

According to the class list requirements it is AAA rated for Moderns, A rated for Classics (they don't offer more than A rating for classics per the registry). The futurity is ran through the office not Tom Taylor that is a misprint in the Ohio Premium. They have both futurity for minis and shetlands at the World show.

According to the class list requirements it is AAA rated for Moderns, A rated for Classics (they don't offer more than A rating for classics per the registry). The futurity is ran through the office not Tom Taylor that is a misprint in the Ohio Premium. They have both futurity for minis and shetlands at the World show.

I think you misunderstood - it appears Dr. Taylor has been responsible for getting the futurity classes rolling and keeping them on the class list. I don't know who does the accounting.

This does seem to be unearthing more and more information. Was everyone aware there is an extra futurity opportunity for the OSF/World show?

My personal issue with this isn't that it's a C or B or ??? rated show. My personal issue is not that I don't think taking steps to preserve a part of associations history is important. What does concern me is the lack of equality here.

When so many long standing shows are struggling why is it this one deserves financial assistance? I find the thought of offering some "bonus" incentive points to fair shows intriguing. I can see both sides to it but yes fair shows (All fair shows) expose likely 10x more people to miniatures or Shetlands than strictly breed shows so to offer some sort of incentive is worth at least exploring. However that should be the shows bonus, not it's Hail Mary.

One of the issues I see with this show is the lack of judges. I did a look to see what the rule book says about judges for Modern and found this on page 59:

N. ASPC Modern Shetlands are limited to a maximum of two (2) Judges over a weekend, or two (2) day period. ASPC Modern Pleasure Shetlands are allowed a maximum of four (4) judges over a weekend or two (2) day period.

Now I could be wrong but I think that says they can have 2 judges correct? If so why can't the Ohio State Fair (find it silly to call a show you don't have to qualify for, the "World" show) pay for another judge. Even our small fair shows know that they simply can not offer only one judge and expect people to show up. If I'm wrong then why don't the association change the rule. I'm sure there is reasoning but I'm lost to why Classics can have 4 judges, AMHR have 6 judges and Moderns have a maximum of 2. That is not a criticism just an honest ponder.

There is a rich and old heritage to the Moderns only being allowed 2 judges per show.

There needs to be a equality to that statement too. There is a long held theory that it is harder to judge Moderns and it takes a good eye and much experience.

But one that might need to be re-evaluated seeing as we have more judges that are Modern R's now.

Regarding it being titled the "World" show is up for debate. But I think you should run over to the OSF website. This was sent to me so I could see the class list. I still stick to an A rating as I don't see a full class list listed yet, Foundations are not listed for example, so I don't see where it gets a higher rating.

But what I do want noted is that the AMHR/ASPC/ASPR are not the only breeds there. I am still not convinced we are getting our bang for our buck in the promotional arena, as this is not held during the actual Ohio State Fair, it is held before, and winning ponies do not stick around for the fair, they move onto their nex respective show.

Anyways here is the link:

http://www.ohiostatefair.com/osf/downloadb...landdivison.pdf

At this time Foundation Class's are optional, meaning you can have them as optional Classic class's. An A rated Classic show is 27 required class's + 6 Approved Optional Class's. An AAA Modern Show is 33 Required Class's, the Modern Performance is 4 required + 8 Approved Optional Performance class's. The Ohio World Show offers these class's, it may be the minimum that they are offering but it is not thier fault that this is the minimum needed to offer an AAA Modern show and A classic show. C rated show for moderns is any 4 approved class's(Halter or Performance) All this information can be found on the Shetlandminiature.com website under show manager.

If this really bothers you, then you should make a proposal and make sure it is turned in next year before July. Be sure to be at the Convention so you can amend the proposal if necessary to make it pass. Any one is able to make a proposal to make a rule change.

Tom Taylor does not do the futurity at this show. It was a misprint. I believe Mr Daulton is in charge as that is where I was told to send the futurity money to enter the classes. This misprint caused a lot of confusion and really needs to be corrected. But heck we are all human and make mistakes

I also find the idea of bonus points at fair shows an interesting concept, but after re-reading all the posts, the comment was that only the aspc fair shows were being considered for bonus points. If I'm out of line, so be it, I'm sure I'll here about it. But here goes. Are we mini people dumb, we appear to be "stepford people" when it comes to the way the association jerks us around! I'm not being bigoted toward Shetlands, but it seems that every time I turn around they are being shoved down our throats. To be a director you have to own shetlands, to host an area show (which in our area are predominantly minis) you have to have hosted a shetland show in the past year etc. etc. Now it comes to light that a long running fair show is getting a huge influx of capitol, plus they can call themselves the "world show" (heck I could call myself Miss America, but it doesn't make it so) and the association will promote it in the journal as such. I find it offensive for those people who actually attend a real world show that has to be qualified for.

I'm reading that the OSF is such a nice show, well it should be with that type of funding. I'm reading that people won't attend without the additional bells and whistles, and there goes our opportunity to promote "our breed".... Nearly every mini breeder I know goes out of their way to "promote their breed" everything from po dunk expos and parades to local shows, we don't sit on our laurals with our hands outstretched waiting for the association to make it attractive enough for us to promote our horses.

Where I live, we have looking into hosting aspc shows, but guess what, it isn't economically feasible, we can't get enough of them to come out to pay their own way, the minis do. So shouldn't the association ask the shetland folks to take a good long look in the mirror, put on their big boy/girl pants and put some effort in themselves to promote their breed?? I can not imagine how a show that has been in existence for 50 years, is not established enough to hold their own without special funding from the association.

Okay,

Here is the deal on the futurity...

The Area 2 Modern futurity classes are at OSF. The Area 2 Classic futurity is held at the Area 2 show where ever it is held that particular year. Tom Taylor is still listed as the contact on the premium, but that is incorrect. It is treated just like an Area futurity and administered by the ASPC/AMHR office. I believe the miniature futurity they are talking about is actually an Area 2 administered futurity that has separate fees etc... from the National futurity. Other clubs offer the same type of program, IMHOA is one of them.

I still haven't heard how the vote went on the big telephone meeting. Would sure like to know how the directors voted.

My big problem with being so generous with that show, or any show is Money.

You guys ,we don't have any more money to give you. The little miniature horse's back is about broken and we can't carry you anymore. I would love to send you lots more money so you can support the Shetland all you want, but time are tuff and I can hardly afford to promote my miniatures., but I never will ask you guys to help me out. If I can't do it myself guess I can't do it.

I feel that times will get better, but right now I just can't see passing out that much money.

Latest posts

Back