World Show Funding Re-Instated

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Please email or call the BOD members and let them know your feelings about the Ohio State Fair World show (contact all board members and not just your area representative). The conference call is to be on December 2nd to make a decision on the issue.

Like most people I was shocked at the amount of money that the ASPC/AMHR was forking over to support this state fair. I personally agree with many that the show should not receive funding and/or special treatment since the Congress is out National Show for ALL divisions of Shetlands and the AMHR Nationals is the National show for our miniatures. I exhibit at other state fairs that offer payback and offer great exposure for our small equine while their entire fair is going on (the ASPC/AMHR show at the Ohio State Fair is held the week BEFORE the fair actually opens). The State fair I go to uses two judges so it is double points. It would seem to me that the OSF could hire an additional judge (or two) to keep the points up. If the fair did not have the money to hire additional judges that is when ASPC/AMHR members could donate $ or get donations to cover the cost. I think that the trouble with the multiple judges would be that the money would have to be dispersed under each judge. Maybe more book-keeping for the State Fair. At any rate, there are options for the fair to continue having a very nice show.

Let the Board Of Directors know your opinion on this issue.

There are not enough shows with shetland classes as it is and to take away one that so beautifully promotes ASPC/AMHR is a huge step backwards.
The ASPC/AMHR Show in Michigan has dozens of Pony classes, and most classes have 0 - that's right Z E R O entries. At best they have 1 or 2. the miniature classes always have entries, and many with 6+ horses. So should they get money from ASPC because they hold the show and have pony classes?

The Midland MI County fair has had pony classes for more than 50 years. I know because they had an exhibitor celebrate his 50th year of showing at the fair. So that fair DOES have a 50+ history with pony classes. Plus they have paybacks also.

If the show cannot support itself with the pony entries, then it ends. End of story. Unless of course you want a government bailout
default_rolleyes.gif

default_deadhorse2.gif
default_deadhorse2.gif
default_deadhorse2.gif

Going to refrain so I can behave myself.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, tell me again—I must have missed where it’s been explained previously—if the triple points are so important, then why can’t people get together and raise the money to pay for a couple of extra judges??? 3 judges would still mean 3 sets of points?

And what would make the state fair board kick out the Shetlands? Why have they kicked out other breeds? Lack of entries? Lack of spectators? They will allow the Shetlands to stay and collect large payouts as long as….there is one judge with 3 sets of points and a high brow name for the show? But if the name changed and there were 3 judges with one set of points each they’d pull the plug on the show? Or are you saying that if the show name changed and there were 3 judges with one set of points each (still 3 sets of points in all) the pony people just wouldn’t show, and no entries would mean no more classes and no more payouts? Or they won’t split the money 3 ways and offer 3 sets of payouts to go with the placings of 3 different judges? I wouldn’t think that’s a big problem, but maybe it is?

Or is it just that no one wants to actually work to keep this show working the way you want it to work?

In any case, from what Kay says, it seems that no one--or almost no one-- is objecting to the funding being cut from this show. That’s something anyway—since there’s no opposition to the loss of funding it would seem an easy decision for the board to make on that part of it. That is good to hear!
default_wink.png

boohoo, its not fair, my local fair that has 20 ponies with 20 class's doesn't get $ 8,000......
To be honest, I don't think any one of us expects our local fair or any other show short of Congress and Nationals to get $8000. But that doesn't mean this one show should continue to get that kind of money either. Just because you have 200 ponies and 300 classes and have had this funding "forever" doesn't mean it should continue on "forever" into the future.

The issue on the points Minimor is that Moderns can have only 2 judges per show. Therefore having the triple points allows them to gain more points without having to hit more shows that might have 4 mini/classic judges but they can only be judged by 2.

Perhaps the simple answer here is to change that particular rule?

Oh, thank you--I know the Moderns were allowed fewer judges, but I'd been thinking it was 3--hadn't read that section lately.

It is my understanding that the board made a decision voted on it and it passed,

I am going to have to leave it at, that I feel it is a shame to loose the meaning of this show.

Two points of clarificatoin....

1) my comment about Miniatures were in reference to the WORLD SHOW. There were Miniature classes off and on at various times over the years. In fact, the show was considered the National Show for a few years and then Miniature participation dropped when .... barring tradition, the National show for Miniatures went 1st to Illinois, then Missouri, then to OK as its needs changed.

To clarify, I meant the Miniature classes seem to have been added permanently to the World Show to the show in the late 90s or early 2000s although they didn't have the World title. Their status became the WORLD SHOW for Miniatures SPECIFICALLY in 2003 ... when they started getting the same coverage & treatment.

2) Someone may have already pointed this out, but MODERNS are never allowed to have more than 2 judges ... although this has come up for vote multiple times. Classics, Modern Pleasure & Miniatures may have more judges. The World Show, Congress & the Area shows are the only places Moderns can compete for extra points.

AHR

According to the directors I spoke to the voting will take place in a conference call on the 2nd. Are you saying this has already happened?

I think what she meant and I said earlier was the budget for the OWS was approved and passed at convention. The disagreements didnt come up until AFTER convention. So now there will be a seperate board vote via conference call Dec 2

There are not enough shows with shetland classes as it is and to take away one that so beautifully promotes ASPC/AMHR is a huge step backwards.

Kay
No one is suggesting that the show would be discontinued!! Far from it. It just would not get the EXCESSIVE amount of national-organization money for what is in essence a "local" show. If those fancy awards for kids, etc. are important, perhaps the Ohio State Fair could work with LOCAL donors to get the funding....after all, it is the OHIO STATE FAIR that benefits via a bigger take at the gate, more people using their vendors, etc.

Yes it has a lot of history...but time marches on. What happened in the past - is the past. If everything in this world was dictated by how things were done in the past - we would still be using a stick & string to start a fire.

And I don't care what people call it. Continue to call it the World show...the Ohio State Fair Show...or even the Pink Pony Party...so what??? A rose, is a rose, is a rose.

So, I for one feel this was a good move to recognize this show for what it truly is...a well-run LOCAL show.

Jean

The point is if you do away with everything that makes this show special people will not attend and then we run the chance of the fair board kicking out us completely and that means we throw away all that payback money from the state of Ohio. I dont think people are reading the entire thread.

I have agreed over and over that the budget should be cut and to get sponsors etc.

So many here are quick to say to heck with tradition and history. I think both are important. If not why do we still celebrate Thanksgiving?? The ponies are a breed STEEPED in tradition, history and I dont think a lot of people understand that.

Even with attendance off this year there were 150 ASPC ponies. That is a big number for a show. Yes there are a couple other ones that come close to that but not many. I know last year miniature entries were much higher then this year. You have to remember that this years show was right when gas hit over 4.00 per gallon

Okay im done I promise not to post on this anymore
default_smile.png

I'd have to say I think the funding should be cut drastically. Smaller clubs are going under due to the lack of having enough money to put shows on (such as ours did). It would have kept our show alive if we had received $2,000 from the AMHR/ASPC. And, we had all kinds of pony classes, very few entries. I personally don't like a 1 judge show. That's the main reason I don't go to the Area shows anymore. If the judge likes your horse, you're in like flyn, but if he/she doesn't....you've spent a lot of money for nothing. At least with 2 or 3 judges I might have a chance.

JMHO

Pam

I'm sure the reinstatement of funds and points is great news to folks who regularly attend the World Show.

Apparently, there also are plans to increase the points awarded at State Fairs across the nation.

Thanks yaddax that is interesting.

The vote was to leave the OSF as is for 2009 because the budget and other details were voted in at Convention. They will revisit this in the March 2009 board meeting.

I do see where there was a good try to put a spin on this as being a good promotional gig for the Shetland breed. Except the World Show is 1-2 weeks before the State Fair and most winning ponies have moved onto Congress, so I am wondering if someone could clarify how this is a promotion for the breed if they are not at the state fair when the actual state fair is going on. I know in MN the 4H kids and others show 1-2 weeks before and then their exhibits stay at the State Fair throughout, but the ponies and miniatures move on after this show.

Also the triple points are staying - this is not an A rated show, this bothers me, I wll admit to this. It is a C (State Fair) rated show. Only the bare minimum required classes are offered, nothing more.

So even if we leave the triple points...not all State Fairs will be equal. For instance the Minnesota State Fair is during Congress. Where would the Shetland people rather be? I would bet Congress.

The budget needs to be addressed again. It certianly is not fair for one area to garner that kind of budget for a C rated show. If they worked to bring it up to an A rated show I might be a bit more inclined to leave things alone, as long as the other areas get $8,000 as well.

(By the way folks do the math, that would mean $64,000.00 of our annual budget to go out to the areas for shows, can we really do this as an organization and stay healthy?)

You got to be kidding me? Or maybe I have it wrong. Did they agreed to give the Ohio State Fair Show or the World Show -What ever it is, all that money and coverage in the Journal?

[SIZE=10pt]I can't believe in these tough time, they would raise our fees and spend that much money so unfairly[/SIZE]. We all are watching every penny we spend and I think the board should be doing the same. It is our money.

I emailed everyone on that list. I don't know if they got it.

I am sure the home office will be getting tons of calls from local clubs and those who help run state fairs all over the country. Everyone should now expect to get their share of the pie. I can not see how it is legally or ethically acceptable to allow one state fair to get dollars and triple points , pictures and status in the Journal and to ignore others?

I have no problem with the OSF continuing on as is. We should allow others in different parts of the country to promote their ponies and minis with the same support from our registry.

I personally hope that if the office gets lots of calls that it will not encourage the board to start passing out money to other State Fairs and Local shows. Sure lighten the requirements to have a rated show. But we cannot afford to try to keep the World Show by trying to give out more money.

This is not the government and we can not bail out everybody.

North Dakota -because- we are so darn tight has a huge surplus. We are one of the few states that do and it is not just oil money. If the fair needs money, we should get ahold our ND representatives to take a look at it and see if the fair goers enjoy the miniature show. All you have to do is go to Bismarck and talk to them or call them up. That is what we pay our ND taxes for.

The problem with our State Fair is that we have to have so many classes.

Latest posts

Back