Workin' And Waitin'

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't get to work on it at all today, because of the storm that blew in! :eek:

Still nothing new, I've been busy lately. So, how'd ya like the first round of pictures?
default_smile.png

Thank you! I've been working very hard!
default_yes.gif
:

I really like the looks of your building - looks warm, strong and very comfy!! That new little horse will be very lucky to have such a nice home.

One word of advice - make sure you put mats over the cement (I know you already said you were going to do that) It will be just so much better for the legs on that precious gelding/mare that you will be getting.

Looks and sounds like you are having fun getting ready!!

One word of advice - make sure you put mats over the cement (I know you already said you were going to do that)
Yup! I am actually looking for a place to order mats from already, I want my mini to be as comfy as possible and be safe!
default_wub.png
:

I feel your excitement!!!!!! Love your barn! We start building our barn as soon as the weather breaks......fingers crossed for March!!!!!! Then I'll be horse shopping, too!!!!

Oh, turn your horseshoe the other way so your luck doesn't run out!!!! Points down!!!

my grandmother always had two horse shoes over every door... one pointing up and one pointing down. She said, "The one points up to keep the good luck in, the other points down to dribble good luck on anyone who comes in or out."

Your shed looks lovely...
default_yes.gif
:

Thank you! I do love the shed, and I have more good news!! :aktion033: Next week I am going to a nearby farm next week to look at minis! I am SO excited! :bgrin

The work is never ending, I have 1 - 1/2 year old filly and 3 geldings all are different sizes right from 31" to 33" tall. I am in the process of training 1 mini to pull a cart and on his day off I am working on the basic's with another. If I had more land I would buy a few more from the same person I bought 3 from but since it is only me who cleans/feed/and trains I have to stop at 4 should have stopped at 2 but just had to get another then another.

I spent 3000.00 dollars so far on a barn that all my guys just poop and pee in, and more money on security cameras so no one enters my yard again unnoticed - and if they do they had better smile for the cameras. I also built a corral that could hold 2 big horses no problem so I figured it would be plenty of room for 4 / ya right who was I kidding , now this summer we will be building another big area so this summer the old corral has a chance to grow back in with grass - amazing how they chewed it down. With 2 corrals I can have them graze in one area one week and the other area the next. They also have a dry lot as well when it does not rain and will make it so no matter what corral they are in they can always get to the dry lot which is around their barn.

The dry lot is where I keep them for the night / winter and summer , and feed them their hay and water , plus it is where I give them kisses and grooming in as well. It is easier to get a mini and put a haulter on when I need to clean their hooves and groom and when it is time for farrier work to be done. I refuse to play the catch me if you can game. Like I said it is never done there is always something that needs to be done or spend money on, I also have 2 carts one sits 1 person and the other sits 2 people. I have 1000.00 almost saved up and it is already spent - posts and fencing so I will be putting my 18 year old son and myself to work once the ground unthaws, sure hope a pole pounder works better than a sledge hammer I used last summer. Forgot to mention my barn has 2 stalls in it that are both big enough for 2 minis in each .

But just before winter I took apart 1 stall and left the other and thats where I groom my guys and work on them so I am out of the smow / wind or rain . It is hard to do them without 1 bugging the other, my smallest guy loves to grab the lead rope of the 1 haultered up and takes him for a walk - same small one that loves running off with my shovel and stands inside my sled with the poopoo. They are sosos funny - I hope when you do get your mini that you remember to have fun and enjoy the joy they bring. Every minute is a lasting memory.

This is going to be an amazing journey for you.

I have just got my little colt home and I'm loving him dearly.

Enjoy the ride, and don't rush into picking a mini until you find the 'right one' (and trust me, you will know when you have seen the right one) :aktion033:

Keep us posted on your progress, and have fun looking around for your new friend!

I definatley don't want to rush into this! I want to be able to find the 'right one' for me, and though I am extremely excited, I am taking my time with this.
default_yes.gif
: I worked on the shed a little bit more yesterday, not enough for photos, though. Next week I have vacation, so I will be working hard and then of course going to look at the minis. Also, I don't think I will actually bring him/her home until early April, because I have to wait until the middle of March to build the paddock. I wish the ground would un-freeze faster!

And also, any recomindations for a certain type of fencing? Can I get by WITHOUT electric fencing????
default_unsure.png
:

We just have wire fencing and it works fine. The wire is pulled nice and tight. We spent much time repairing fencing before Bailey arrived home to make it secure.

There was some 'barbed wire' along the back fence line which we have removed, completely unnecessary. We have BIG horses over the back fence and our wire fences hold up just fine. No electric fences on my property, but then again, we don't have any wild animals around that could enter our yard and harm the Bailey....only kangaroos and koala's!!

We also have a lovely wooden post and rail fence along the front of his yard that my wonderful hubby built. Bailey is just the right height to look out of between the rails as he eats his dinner!! Very cute.

fence.jpg

We just have wire fencing and it works fine. The wire is pulled nice and tight. We spent much time repairing fencing before Bailey arrived home to make it secure.

There was some 'barbed wire' along the back fence line which we have removed, completely unnecessary. We have BIG horses over the back fence and our wire fences hold up just fine. No electric fences on my property, but then again, we don't have any wild animals around that could enter our yard and harm the Bailey....only kangaroos and koala's!!

We also have a lovely wooden post and rail fence along the front of his yard that my wonderful hubby built. Bailey is just the right height to look out of between the rails as he eats his dinner!! Very cute.

fence.jpg

I love that fence! BEAUTIFUL! I'm getting my dad's help, I was thinking of a nice wood one. And other suggestions? Pictures are great, I will be posting my own soon, I hope!
default_yes.gif
:

Ok, that's a pretty paddock fence, let's see some more! :bgrin :aktion033:

Ahh! I didnt get to work on the stall/shed this weekend, because I was driving back and forth between states with my family.
default_wacko.png
: Its been a crazy, bad, unrealistic weekend. This week I WILL work on the project, and I cant forget that I will be seeing some minis!
default_smile.png
Hopefully that will bring my spirits up, im a bit down right now.

We have a really nice wood fence that we just put up this year, and we decided to paint it black
default_wub.png
: After going to Kentucky a few times, and touring some absolutly AMAZING standardbred farms (like OH MY GOD would pay a zillion dollars every day and still couldn't afford it type farms), I just fell in love with black fencing. Unfortunetly I dont have any pics of it painted on this computer, but here's one from last winter:

farmsun.jpg

Before that we had a hodgepodge of electric tape (which had to be electrified- or they'd just walk out!) and hog panels, which worked really well. We had the hog panels from our paddock at the last house, and they where great, we moved them with us, and we use them all the time for just aout everything! They're a great investment, and you can use them over and over- we use them to divide paddocks, keep horses out of areas, and fix problems all the time.

The electric:

farmari.jpg

And we have a paddock that we even put up woven wire over the wooden fence, for the foals and *ahem* certain horses...

jazzyitchsm.jpg

Like our dwarf Jazzy who likes to scratch her withers on the bottom board!!! :new_shocked:

Good luck with your mini- when you find him/her! Our first was raised in a shed (with a hog panel fence!)! Ours was much smaller, but it worked fabulouslly! You'll really love it
default_wub.png
: We all do!

Oh wow I just LOVE your barn!!!I love my fence but wish i built it taller because a certain some one enjoys jumping over it :eek: . Fixed that problem with hot wire though :bgrin . Hear is the only good pic of it I have really, good luck and awsome little barn!!!

royPretty.jpg

Thank you all, wonderful pictures! :aktion033: I'm 99% sure that I'm going with the wooden fence, electric seems a bit of a pain! About how big are hog panels???? I forgot, lol. And another question, anybody know a place where I can purchase stall mats from???? Please keep posting pictures, it really is helpful!
default_yes.gif
:

Latest posts

Back