Woohoo! - ordered new harness ... and hoping to start an area club

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

studiowvw

Reaction score
Now I just have to be patient for a few weeks!

I ordered the Comfy Fit harness in black with sliding backband and deluxe breast collar. I think her current harness is causing some discomfort - too small.

I've made a new, thinner, fleece & felt backpad to replace the thick neoprene one she never liked. Now making a thin leather cover to confine the belly band and the wrap strap, because I think the two straps are pinching her hair if not the skin too by her elbow, poor thing.

She is backing up with a lot more softness, but we had a wild ride on Thursday. I unhitched and went back to working in the round pen, until we established that "walk" means WALK!!!

Wow, she sure can move, uphill, downhill and around the field. The big horses were quite entertained by the spectacle as we whizzed by, and the turkeys started chasing the cart at one point. Those turkeys need to go in the freezer!

It's been a long term dream to have a driving mini, but life and equipment complications keep getting in the way. Just hoping to keep putting in the hours this season so the whole thing becomes more familiar to me. I love my cart.

Last week I went to an area mini clinic in which a show judge gave tips on halter showing, with demos in harnessing, both single and team. There was a beautiful team of pinto minis about 30" - I even got the chance to drive them. I never thought I'd ever drive a team!

The group is hoping to start a club, as other clubs' events are too far away. It would be nice to have events and mutual support in our area (1 or 2 hour drive instead of 2-5+ hours). I am entering a couple of fall fairs that are trying to build their mini classes.

The fairgrounds where we had the clinic had a beautiful track, so I entered their classes just for a chance to drive on that super track
default_smile.png

Sounds like you are doing great!!!!! And having fun at it. I just got my first mini and we have been having a blast going all over the neighborhood.

You sound just like me! I just ordered a new harness, 2 infact. They should be arriving in 2-3 weeks. I still have the nylon ones but can't wait for the new ones! I am attending my very first fair Sept 1. They only have 3 classes that I can go in right now though but should be fun anyways. Mini classes aren't very popular in my area.

Sometimes if the belly band and wrap straps are pinching by the elbow is is because the belly band is too short. A longer one fixed that problem for me--I now use pony size girths on my mini harness

exciting! you won't be disappointed in your harness choice. I love my comfyfit harness, it fits beautifully and looks so well...comfy!

Yes, I am looking forward to the comfy fit - thanks for the comments!

Her whole harness is too small - rather than getting a bigger belly band and britchen, I decided to get the whole thing and gave her measurements to Janie on the phone, as she is wider than the typical B size.

Remember the saddle is only to steer the cart, so the belly band should not be as tight as with a riding saddle. Great to hear you are getting the saddle with sliding backband, backband and overgirth should be able to freely "rotate" around the horse. The tugs hold the shafts away from the horse, the breast collar and traces pull the cart and the britching stops the cart. You keep the cart in balance halfways the tugs. there should be no weight on the horse and with the comfyfit saddle you should not need any extra padding.

Does this still make sense? There is an article from Barb Lee that explains it really well, if you like I can email it. Wrap straps are good for show carts and replace the britching, some people think this "show setup" can be used all the time and that causes a lot of discomfort to the horses.

I think I understand the harness, but would like to read the article by Barb Lee. My email is [email protected]. Thank you.

She has a lot of energy and a good mind, but I think the discomfort of her current setup is intolerable. I've done a couple of sessions without the cart and with the new temporary fixes on the harness, to reinforce walking and relaxation. Thank goodness she is a forgiving horse! I wish I'd realized the straps were pinching her earlier. I thought there was something wrong, but it took a wild ride (ok, it was fun!) to make me figure it out.

Well, with my fingers crossed I hitched up this evening with the two temporary fixes (belly guard and soft back pad). That was after an online few minutes of reminders about walking
default_smile.png

She took off at a fast trot after about 4 steps of walk - I pretended the trot was my idea and stayed soft as I could.

She flew around as fast as she could go, but after several laps and a few changes of direction, she realized things had changed and she was able to slow down. Big improvement over our last two drives: I got about half a lap at a walk, a soft backup and a couple of nice stops. No chomping on the bit or going sideways, and no trying to run away.

Still looking forward to getting the Comfy fit harness in a few weeks - We'll stay on the flat until we get that.

I signed up for a local show this Saturday - halter and our first driving class. After today's success, I think we'll be able to go, but that will depend on how tomorrow's drive goes.

A couple of things I realized (besides "experience is what you get after you've made some mistakes"):

- poor behaviour should be investigated - sorry it took me two sessions to figure out there was something wrong and getting worse

- a forward horse is lots of fun (but more fun when she's happy)

- staying soft when in trouble works better

- half halts work

- I like driving!

Last but not least - if she can't trust the idiot sitting in the cart, who can she trust?
default_smile.png

PS, thanks, Matthijs, for the article! I had read it before, but that was a couple of years ago. thinking about how to put a sliding seat on my cart.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back