Wooden shafts

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Minimor

Reaction score
As I recall, hickory is the ideal wood to use for shafts, because it will break clean, not splinter.

What about ash? Does it also break clean, or will it splinter? A cart I'm interested in is made of ash, shafts and everything. I hope to never have a wreck that causes the shafts to break, but of course when you're driving a horse anything can go wrong! I know nothing about ash so thought I'd ask about it here.

Around here there are a lot of old and new sleighs, wagons and carts with ash wood shafts; it is what they use. I suppose that hickory is better, from what I have heard, it breaks better...but we don't HAVE hickory trees...never had, so perhaps it is depending on your native trees, what is traditionally considered for shaft-making??

I have had several ash-wood shafted carts, with no problem...one of which had been "wrapped" around a tree, and even then, there was no damage done to the shafts. Bent my axle, and ruined the wheels though.

Now, that all said...if I had the opportunity to buy the same carts, WITH hickory shafts, I would definitely consider them.

That's a good point, Sue, about the availability of hickory. LOL Up here I suspect that most vehicles would be made with oak--oak is what we have, so unless someone imports their parts or the wood to make the parts...

This particular cart I'm interested is made in Ohio and perhaps ash is what they use there. I have no idea how many vehicles actually do get made with hickory shafts--I've never had a wooden vehicle, only metal ones. I've looked at a lot of wooden carts and buggies & admired them, but never paid much attention to what kind of wood was in them. I wasn't buying, so it didn't matter. I know the one fellow that used to build lovely carts here used oak.

That was good that your shafts didn't break Sue, even if the rest of the cart didn't come out so good!
default_laugh.png
Ash shafts must be fairly durable, not snapping easily? I do hope I never find ouit!!

I hope to never have a wreck that causes the shafts to break, but of course when you're driving a horse anything can go wrong!
default_aktion033.gif
:yeah
default_aktion033.gif
Thank you, thank you, thank you for realizing this (you probably already know this, so maybe it's thank you for verbalizing this.) Lots of people need to hear this over and over and over before they get it.

That's a good point, Sue, about the availability of hickory. LOL Up here I suspect that most vehicles would be made with oak--oak is what we have, so unless someone imports their parts or the wood to make the parts...
Like I said in the other thread, any carriage builder worth their weight can get parts. If someone is using oak shafts because it is "available", they aren't worth their weight. Oak would be one of the WORST woods to use. I don't care how beautiful the cart would be, I would consider a vehicle made with oak shafts and wheels to be a coffee table. I sure wouldn't put it to my horse. Yes, you can use oak for other parts, like floorboards and seats, and we do use oak for that, but if a builder used it for any part that might break near the horse, they haven't done enough research.

For anyone reading, this is why you use hickory shafts vs. oak et al. That break is untouched except for cutting away the shaft trim. See how clean that break is? If the shaft has to break, this is what you want, not something that splinters next to your horse.

broken_shaft.jpg

This particular cart I'm interested is made in Ohio and perhaps ash is what they use there.
We get our shafts from Ohio, and they are hickory. That is the traditional wood just for the reason that you listed. Both hickory and ash are hard, but hickory is harder. Ash is quite a bit cheaper. I do seem to recall a recent discussion I had with someone regarding ash for shafts, but I don't remember the context. I'll see if I can get a real answer. Back at you later.

Myrna

I was hoping you'd see this Myrna. I look forward to any info you can come with on ash shafts. Thank you!

It makes me wonder if the reason shafts are wrapped, is to prevent splintered ends from broken shafts to injure the animal. Just seems to make sense. as for how any maker worth their salt would use hickory...I wonder too, at that. Most of the carts I speak of are antique...and it wouldn't of been easy to get hickory here, where they are not native. Seriously, Even though I see your point, I do think it depends on the native woods, and what is traditional...to the area in which you live.

Yes, ash is sometimes used (properly) for shafts. I have not found any logical reason why, other than my previous guesses of that it is a bit cheaper, maybe more readily available in some areas, and still suitable. Hickory is still the best, ash is appropriate, and anything else is illogical.

Myrna

It makes me wonder if the reason shafts are wrapped, is to prevent splintered ends from broken shafts to injure the animal.
Hmm, good question. Personally, I think it is to keep the finish from getting marred by the tugs and the breeching straps. We try to place our shaft trim now so that the leather is touching the shaft trim and not the paint and clear. And the leather will do "wonders" to your pinstriping!
closedeyes.gif
We didn't leave the trim long enough on my blue cart, and the brass buckle on the breeching straps always leaves this "gold" stuff on my shafts that I have to get off. The leather wraps around the trim, but the buckle doesn't.
default_rolleyes.gif
Live and learn.....

Myrna

Latest posts

Back