Wondering the age group on here...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:saludando: I am 50ish married to a lovely Irish leprauchan for over 38 years, he is 64 (but it's only a number) in his heart and mine we are the same as when we met
default_wub.png
: We have a married son and 2 grandchildren 5 and 8, and a daughter 20 away at university
default_sad.png
We have 6 minis, 3 golden retrievers, 2 cats, a special rooster (The Duke so named because he struts) his harem of 3 chickens, a small flock of sheep including our ram Billy Bob, and about 50 ducks of various types. My hubby does most of the barn chores as I still work fulltime and we go to the shows together.

Yvonne

wow. lots of replies. umm...lets see here. i'm 13, female, and have a wonderful boyfriend named "Charm", the three-month old COLT in my avatar :lol: , jk.

so, i have four minis and one riding horse. the parents pay for board, and bought the big horse for me. i bought two of the minis, and they payed for shipping. mom buys hay, i buy grain, brushes, treats, halters....etc,,,,you know, other spoil-y stuff. so costs are pretty equal. we recently baught a house where we can put them in the back yard, so that saves board, but the big horse will stay at the stable she's in (about a block from the new house). as for actual work: i train and handle them all, cuz dad's too busy too ever help (he's Pat Boone's CEO, so yeah he's a pretty busy dude), and mom helps every day. she mostly helps muck (we do that 50-50), and walks once a day. i can tell she loves them though! but i am with them all day every day, except during school, but then i go to the barn after school and hang out with my four-legged friends. life is good! except, little Charm chewed on my geometry homework last week....sooooo....hehehe. dad gets to see them just several times a week, but that will change once they live in our back yard. 24-7 minis! Dad has really taken a liking to Charm, as the first time he met him, the little precious crawled right in his lap and wanted scratcheys!
default_wub.png
: that's my boy.

so mom and i do work, and we all chip in for costs. its totally worth it. daddy thinks so too.
default_smile.png

o.k. I have to play too! I am 34, live way, way north in N.Y., I am a licenced massage therapist. My husband is 33. We have a son who is 13 and a 3 year old daughter. My son doesn't know whats in the barn, my daughter is obsessed with it!

We have 2 TWH, 1 QH and a Draft X pony, only 3 minis now, 3 mini donkeys, 2 cats, 5 dogs.

My husband is great with the animals, even though they are more mine then his. I grew up lots of animals, he never had any :no: .

The only time he complains is when it is 95 out and he is putting in hay :bgrin , Nikki

This is so fun to read!

Im 16, i live in New Zealand with my mum, dad, sister (18 and off to University next year
default_thumbup.gif
: lol) and my baby brother ( 12) he is autistic and is the absoloute light of my every day
default_wub.png
: I bought my mini Katie myself and pay for pretty much everything exept for feed and vet bills. We have 17 beautiful acres and have lived here for 4 years ( previously city people )

I am in year 11 at Pukekohe High School and I want to train to be a teacher. We have 1 mini (soon to be two) 4 big horses, 2 cows(pregnant) 4 calves, 8 sheep with lambs so about 18 in total, 3 cats, 2 dogs, a rainbow lorikeet and a guinea pig called teacup! :lol:

Thats about all, Helen

Last edited by a moderator:
I am 56 a widow for 14 years and I have 10 mini's two are pets and 8 are purebred Falabella's. I am aiming to be the Falabella breeder here on the West Coast. I do everything myself. my grandkids help out occasionally when they need money. Lol

I turned 65 in July; widowed for nearly 9 years, sole caretaker for 8 minis, one 'big', three dogs-one very large, two tiny! I have 10 acres, but this is the 'high desert', so the horses are penned most of the time, because I don't want to 'strip' the place of grass-here, once it is gone, it will NOT recover, and only weeds will return...surely would be a LOT less work for me, however, if I just turned them outl....(though this year, we've had so much rain, there is actually some grass for occasional grazing!). I am obcessive about cleanliness, so it is a good deal of work-cleaning all those separate pens twice daily-plus trying to keep the place up...I do everything-can't afford to hire help, as I am on a survivor's annuity-but it it TOO TRUE that one learns how to do LOTS of things, and the hard work IS good for you!!

I have owned and taken care of horses CONTINUOUSLY for the past 56 years(got 'hooked' at age 2, but didn't wear my non-horsey parents down until I was nine!). I have done all of my own training for many years-first with the 'bigs', then in the 22 years I've had miniatures. Same with showing---though I'm no longer actively doing that. Have done about everything to be done on a stock horse, both in and out of the show ring/arena; my favorite was the REAL THING of working cattle, though I also especially enjoyed barrels and poles, reining, and trail. LOVE driving, both single and pair, but no longer the breed show ring--I like performance, have competed in nearly every 'real' miniature performance area, except jumper(never had a horse with that specific talent.)

Love animals and would have lots of others, but as I get older, am learning that I MUST limit what I take on, as I have neither money nor time. I want to ENJOY my horses, so just MUST allow the time to take proper care of them and still be able to USE them!!

Margo

Well, I'm 31, married for the last 5 years. In addition to a 4 year old daughter, we have 9 dogs, 2 Large horses, and 1 soon to be 2 Shetlands.

My husband likes the big horses, but is not so sure on the little ones. The dogs are his main love, as well as mine. Although of the 9, only 2 are his.

My horses are all at home, we have 3 acres of desert. Although I'd prefer better horse facilities, they're not complaining about being turned out all the time.

My husband is an Aeronautical Engineer for Lockheed Martin Skunkworks, and I'm a writer.

Sorry it took so long to post. I ran out of fingers and toes and kept having to start over. I'm 43 going on 10. Live in Ohio. Have 9 1/2 minis, 5 dogs, too many to count cats. Two grown boys not giving me grandkids! I have a honey named Ron who I have been with 9+ years. Honey Ron carries the water for the horses and will also dump the wheel barrell for me. He absolutely does not do poo!

Fran

well, i have to add my speak to this.....

although i am 35 and married for a long while.... i have to say, i do this alone..

my hubby really doesnt like horse...... he buys hay, thats it!!!!!.. but my passion fo my four legged friends is so strong, that i really dont care what he thinks.. life is too short, if you love it do it.. i think he,s just lucky that its horses i love...

any young women out there, dont be swayed by a man who is non horsey.. if you love em.. it,ll be very hard in the future to keep your horsey ways, if hw doesnt like them.........

BE ... WARNED.......

I am 37 yr old woman, married 12 yrs....no kids....4 minis, 2 dogs, 2 goats, 10 chickens, and 1 cat. My husband and I are both Air Traffic Controllers. He wants absolutely nothing to do with the animals, except the dogs....I do everything and pay for everything. I am wanting to downsize though. We recently bought a sort of "cottage" that is 2 hrs away from our home. We spend almost every weekend there and I just don't have time for all the critters. I currently have 2 minis for sale but am now considering selling all the minis. My original goal was to show alittle, but I work weekends so that's impossible. I will miss them, but it makes no sense for me to have them when I work all week, then leave for the week-end and pay a petsitter to watch them. I will miss them and am still struggling with the idea of selling the other two, my first ones....

Well now, unless I missed someone here, I`M the oldie of the bunch. Medicare age + .
default_yes.gif
:
default_yes.gif
:

I have a Hubby, 5 kids, 18 YES 18 grandkids and 1 great granddaughter, she is just a yearling LOL

My husband asked the other day "How long do you want to keep raising minis?" I said, well when I was at a sale last year I met a man that was 83 & he still had a few minis. He siad OH NO, I don`t think so. LOL

I LOVE my little horses and hope I can always keep at least a

"few" around to hug and love.
default_rolleyes.gif
:

I am a very young and happy 45, with 6 minis, 2 cats and a dog. I am a solo operation; had been married for 11 years - ex-hubby said I needed to chose between the horses or him...

Like I said, I am a very happy solo operation... :bgrin :bgrin :aktion033:

Liz R.

Ok I'll play now, I am 47 and a widow of almost 2 years. My husband bought my first mini and most of the ones from there on. He also did all of the barn work, stalls, hauling hay, just about everything. I did feed and work horses. Then my daughter decided the minis were ok and started showing a couple of ours. When my husband died, it just left myself and my daughter (shes 21) and she does the biggest part of the work. I do pay all of the bills though. We have since sold the breeding stock and concentrate only on show horses. We specialize in geldings ( did two in the last two days, I now have 16 horses and 7 are geldings). So with 16 horses, we are trying to cut down some. I would love to get down to 8 but not sure who I would be able to part with. But I do still have my first mini.

Hi. I am 39, married to a soon to be 44 year old bloke, 4 boys aged between 2-12, have two minis, a ekky parrot, a dog and three fish. The only other female in the house is tilly, my mini filly - thank gawd for small mercies. Have only been into minis since dec last year. MY dad got me hooked - he was as excited as I am. My husband just gave in - he knew not too bother fighting with me - but now absolutely loves the mini's - especially bobbie. Cheers, Kerrie

I am 16, going to be 17 in a few months.
default_smile.png

Right now, I have 2 horses, and 2 cats and one dog that are solely mine. The dog was supposed to be my father's but he attached himself to me, so my dad said I can claim him. :bgrin

Aside from my animals, we have another dog, and 3 ginuea pigs. I do all of the animal chores, with some help. Although help is rare. Only when I need it. Although, I should say that my parents pay for mostly everything, and they help me with the harder things, like hoof trimming. But as for the cleaning of stalls, and etc..I do that all. But all in all, I am lucky.

default_smile.png

I'm 22, and have 8 B.H and 9 miniatures, 1 dog, and 2 cats. I do a rotation on care of the big horses with Boarders/Staff at my farm. My parents own the farm, Which is the Sole reason I can have so many horses, but I have done and continue to do all the buying/cost of care by myself.(Incl scary vet bills!)

I also 'manage' the farm and am responsible for maint, and general care of the property.

I am able to afford all this while in school full time by being a decent riding instructor with a soild following of devoted students and parents.
default_yes.gif
:
default_wub.png
: I make enough money to support the horses and myself, though now that I am Really moving out into the world, I am selling down my B.H and minis to focus on school, and my own shows.

I have a wonderful man in my life, who is learning the ropes of horses, and who gamly will spend his entire weekend at a horse show just to help me out with a smile on his face for my clients and me!

(He's also now getting weekly riding lessons, and is just a real wonder with my animals,... he really loves them even if the horses kinda intimidate him.
default_wub.png
: )

This thread is very interesting reading, super topic! :aktion033:

I am 42 years old, female, married to my high school sweetheart for 25 years. We have two grown daughters, one son in law and one soon-to-be son in law, and one darling 15 month old grandson with another grandchild on the way (due during foaling season, lol).

We have 28 miniatures, two big horses, two big dogs, and two cats. I do all of the feeding, cleaning stalls and runs etc, grooming, turn-outs, exercising, training, hauling feed bags and shavings. Hubby hauls hay for me, and does fencing, irrigating, and any really heavy work. He's learned over the last several years how to help out at shows, and he is pretty proud of what I've accomplished with the horses. I couldn't do it without him though. I have the utmost respect for those of you that can manage on your own! :aktion033:
default_yes.gif
:

I'm 57, and married for 40 years...5 daughters and 12 grandchildren...I have 2 minis , 2 big horses ,1 pony, 8 dogs, 1 parakeet and 2 guinea pigs...Our horses are kept at my daughters so I guess she does alot more of the work than I do...But i do go work and groom and whatever else needs to be done when I can get there, usually 4 times a week...I really enjoy the minis and hope at some point to get 1 or 2 more...

I am 34, 35 next month, married for 13 years, together for 19, and he is 36. We have a 6 year old daughter who is totally into the horses right now.

We have too many horses, and my husband calls them the " stupid horses"'. WE also have 1 dog, and a few barn cats, with one house cat. Of course they are stupid dogs and cats, too. Oh, I almost forgot one mini donkey gelding. He is the stupid donkey, LOL

great thread

Wow how great, I didn't even know this thread was still getting replies!!! I love reading about each one of you, it's great to learn more about everyone here!!!

Latest posts

Back