What's an acceptable age to start building up a herd?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TeleportingMonkey

Reaction score
As a horse breeder, what is the minimum age you guys would recommend a person start working on building up a breeding herd of registered show horses?

I turn 18 next year, and would be interested in raising and showing quality Miniature Horses within the next 10 years, in BC Canada.

I live on a just-over 200 acre ranch with 'rents, and intend on getting a rent-to-own trailer to build on and take over some of the property as my own after graduation and going to college.

Just own 1 big horse right now (Diamond Skip Safari) and that's all I want for big ones.
There's an AQHA/AQHA breeding/training performance horse ranch about 10 minutes from our house that I would love to do some work at over the next few years, learning how to handle the stallions, take a farrier class, imprinting and basic training on foals, etc.

I spent 2 years breeding and showing pedigree'd show quality rabbits, so I understand the breeding for quality, gelding the ones not worth breeding, evaluating potential buyers, obtaining a herd size able to be afforded yet allow time for proper socializing of offspring produced, record and pedigree keeping, etc.

I'd invest in a really good mare or two, either already with a National show record (or do it yourself) in what you are breeding for (halter, performance, or both) and then breed them to a top notch stallion and add mares down the road as you are able. If you get a stunner of a colt, keep him. Keep the nicest of the fillies.

This is what I've seen the biggest farms do in most breeds.

Stallions are fairly easy to come across... I've seen national grand champion halter horses sell for $20,000 or so.... I'm not sure of your budget but I'd splurge on a stallion if I was really into breeding...

If you are asking is 18 too young for a herd of horses, my answer is yes. I have a daughter that is your age and the last thing I would want for her is to be saddled with a herd of horses. I am of the belief that you don't need a herd of horses to enjoy them or even to be successful in the show ring.

As someone who is 21 just breaking into breeding - 18 isWAY too young. Get your life settled first. Things do not go as planned. I had to move my one stud half way across the state with me (long, sad, story).It was extremely difficult. I know you have breeding experience, but foaling experience is a whole nother ball game.

I work full time as a herdsman. I can do anything a vet can besides surgeries. I've pulled hundreds of calves, including many true breeches.

Foaling scares the heck out of me. For this reason, I own no mares yet.

So to answer your question of is 18 too young to take on the financial, emotional, and physical burden of a herd of horses, the answer is YES.

Well I think to START with one or two, you are plenty mature enough. I don't know your budget, but if you want to spend $5,000 on horses, buy two $2,500 mares instead of nine $500 mares and a $500 colt. You will have better options for quality and not spend as much time or money on upkeep.

Spend the time on one or two horses and build from there. You will learn a lot showing and seeing what is beating you in the ring and get an idea what you like and will most likely find the next horse you want to buy or breed to that way.

It depends. How is that for a non-answer? Do you know where you will be tomorrow (by tomorrow, I mean 2 years, 5 years, 10 years down the road)? Do you have a career path worked out? Are you planning on attending college? Do you have a stable (not stable in terms of a horse stable...I mean 'steady') home for both you and your horse(s) long-term? Are you physically and emotionally ready to deal with all of the ups and downs of breeding horses? Are you financially secure enough so that you can handle the unexpected vet bills when an animal gets seriously sick or hurt?<br /><br />Like I said, it depends.

I agree with just about everything that has been said so far, here. Here is how I see it. If--and only "if"--you have a place to keep your minis and their offspring for a minimum of 5 years and you have a job to support them and yourself--including all vet bills to include worming, farrier work and proper feed and nutrition. Where will they be stalled/penned? Will it be clean? Will you have time for all this stuff while working and possibly going to some sort of schooling--and yes, I think some sort of schooling and/or technical training should be in your plans. If you think that you will be raising mini horses and making money selling them, then I am sorry, but you will be sadly disappointed. Many top notch breeders are either selling at a loss or not even breeding any longer because the market is so poor. You need to be able to feed and keep the horses you raise if you cannot find good homes for them.

All that being said, if you still want to have a couple of babies to start, then you might consider buying a couple of nice mares that are already bred to a nice stallion. Be sure they are registered either in the AMHA or the AMHR--both if possible. That way you can have the possibility of two nice foals. If, at that point, you still want to breed and raise more foals, you can either pay for stud fees or find a nice stallion to purchase at that time. You may just want to stop with the first couple and try showing your horses instead. Showing can be a lot of fun and possibly a little less worrisome.

I am one of the breeders that has chosen to not breed any the last 3 years. We have 50 that we are able to care for until we find some of them good homes. The reality is that the economy is really bad at the moment and raising horses just because you want to be a breeder to make some money is a serious thing of the past. Sorry if that sounds harsh. It is just the facts.

Angie

I think your age is just one of many variables to be considered. Right now the market for good quality minis is terrible. Someone your age who started a few years ago (I keep thinking of Erica Killion of Erica's Tiny Trotters) might have a very different experience than you would, just because of the market. I got into breeding a few years ago when I was close to 60, with a college degree in Animal Science, a good income and a solid business plan. We bought top quality horses from some of the best breeders and we have probably lost well over $100,000. We have yet to sell a single animal. We have buried more foals that we have had live ones, although we are just about even with this years two foals. Our foals have been fantastic, but without the "name" brand to go with them we have had no luck selling.

Before you consider breeding, I would suggest a detailed business plan listing all your expenses (including an estimate for emergencies) and what you intend to make on your "product". Pay attention to what other breeders like you are getting for their animals, not what you are paying!!! And anticipate that there WILL be losses.

Now is there anything better than looking out my window and seeing this year's foals playing in the pasture? Nope, priceless!!

I personally think it depends on how mature you are, and where you are at, in your life. I have known many 18 yr. olds, that were very mature. I think whether to get a herd or not, depends more on other things, than just your age. I'm not sure anyone can for sure say where they will be in 5 or 10 yrs. We can all say where we would want to be, but "things" happen, and there is no way to forsee them at all. I'm in my 40's and I don't have land to even have my one mini on, so I board. I am hoping that someday, we will be able to move, into a place, that I could have two of them. That is all I would want. I pray it happens, but I don't know for sure. You need to just really look at every aspect in your life, then decide and if you decide to, start small, so that if something does happen, you hopefully, wouldn't be in way over your head. I think you sound more mature than a lot of 18 yr. olds, just due to asking this. I don't think many would. I commend you for that.
default_thumbup.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Before you even think about breeding, irrespective of your age, find out if there is any market for what you will be selling, in your area. Do your homework. Not on just what you want but on what you need too. You need a barn, if you are handy you can make the stalls your self, but you need the basic, warm, weatherproof barn. You need somewhere for yourself, as you say. You need to know there is a good, affordable Vet who knows about Minis, near you. And you need to know you can sell the foals- no good thinking you will keep the foals and breed on as you only ever keep the very best, and then, if you already have a stallion, you will not be wanting the colts so.....do your homework.

That applies to any age, I don't think there is a "too young" about it....

Being responsible for a mini or a pair of minis would be a good start. A pair to enjoy and perhaps drive or show, but sometimes the more you have the less enjoyment you glean. The biggest problem right now is that it's a buyer's market, but buyers aren't even buying. Very few people can sell, and you would see more losses than gains. Also, picture it this way, if you start into it fast and furious you may burn out or decide too late that it isn't for you. And then you will not have the ability to sell what you have. It's scary to be stuck. That said, I would start slow and go from there knowing that negative dollar signs are very likely. Even if you never thought of dollars and cents, be prepared for losses.

Latest posts

Back