new here, building shafts

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minister man

Reaction score
Hi There everyone, I am new here, but I have worked draft horses, and draft ponies( I had a team of welsh). I am working with a miniature now. I have been driving him around dragging a stick, with breast harness, but that puts the angle of draft wrong for breast harness and it wants to ride up too high.

So I am going to build a sled style fore cart with shafts, that will simply be a small platform with skis mounted to the bottom for runners.

Anyhow, I am wondering what you use for shafts for your minis? we always used hardwood 2x4 for the draft horses, but I would think that would be a little over kill for a 250 lbs horse. Our little fellow is built like a tiny draft horse, wide and heavy set, about 35 inches tall.

I was expecting that the shafts would need to be a couple feet wide at the back and maybe 18" wide at the front and 50 " long, with a 18" single tree on the cross bar for the traces. Does that sound about right? Do you think that 3/4 " galvanized water pipe would be heavy enough?

thanks

Back