Wondering how many people are DNAing mares

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CAbshear

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have been a silent member for some time...I usually don't post much because I work full time and have quite a few minis so my free time isn't enough to post much. But I have just had some surgery and can't work or do much of anything so I thouht I would take advantage and post some. I was wondering if anyone is finding that the new DNA rules are adding additional expense to breeding. Don't get me wrong I think that it's a good idea to keep the lines true..but it is also additional expense. I wonder how the big farms do this with all of the horses that they have. I just had to DNA four last year. Some of the big farms have $ but some don't. Does anyone have any thoughts and how are you managing the costs?

Cass

I am a small farm - 5 mares - and only a couple a babies each year.

I have one new breeding stallion (already DNA'd and AMHA/AMHR) and 2 colts who are possible breeding stallions. One is registered AMHA/AMHR and DNA'd/PQ'd the other is none of the above yet - just bought him as a weanling (last year) and he may end up to be just a pet and a gelding to boot

All my mares have DNA on file - all are AMHA/AMHR registered.

I DNA all my foals and now I also Parent Qualify them. I also normally enter them in the AMHR futurity and local club futurity.

One of my geldings is AMHA/AMHR DNA'd and PQ'd - the other outgrew his AMHA papers and is a pet for driving - he is AMHR registered. I did not have him DNA'd.

I think DNA is a good requirement - wish I could do the COLOR DNA tests but don't have the xtra funds for that.

Yes, it is expensive - I don't see it as a choice on the mares, if I want to produce registered babies -- and for the babies - I see it as a selling point that they are already DNA'd and Parent Qualified.

I figure it is a necessary expense like de-worming, vaccinations, etc..

JJay

PS we have a dozen minis all total

I'm not a big breeder, but all of my breeding age mares are DNA'd. I've not done them all at once, but as I could. To me, it's well worth knowing the parentage on any given foal and I like the fact that all of my foals are eligible for Parent Qualification.

I'm confused...I don't understand how DNA and PQ work, can someone please explain. Is this only with AMHA, or does AMHR do it too?

Thanks, Erin

I was actually glad when AMHA required the DNA testing. It helps keep people honest. I don`t like the added expense but to me, it is worth it. If you want to parent qualify a foal, both sire and dam must already be DNA tested. Thefaols DNA is then matched up to verify that the foal is truly from the parents listed on the registration papers.

I'm confused...I don't understand how DNA and PQ work, can someone please explain. Is this only with AMHA, or does AMHR do it too?

Thanks, Erin
Erin,

My understanding is this....All mares born afer 1996 must be DNA'd before their foals may be registered. This is an AMHA requirement. Then if your mare and stud are both DNA'd you can PQ your foal which requires you to DNA your foal. If you PQ your foal then you get very pretty blue registration papers. I really like them. All the DNA testing costs $41 or $42 per horse.

Cass

Not just mares but stallions here are all DNA'd and the ones we could, we PQ'd as well..as Becky said we did a few at a time... but still at $41 a pop..yikes..we did 30 last year and this year so far and a few left to go. I don't mind,
default_wacko.png
: it's a part of doing business, and too, there is no question about parentage.

thanks!

My gelding is an A sized horse and he is PQ. Right now I'm beginning to breed for B horses, but may try A's as well in the future.

Erin

We're at the point where all 40 head are DNA'd and any foals born now are PQ'd. lt is and was a big expense and we also have to consider the M.O. exchange bumps the cost higher for us to begin with. All foals born here have been PQ'd for the last few years. l won't if spending over 2 thou buy unless they are typed. l know it's not fool proof but it's a step and each step leads somewhere. l just think it's to bad that so much underhanded stuff took place with paperwork and now we all have to pay for those jerks..

We're at the point where all 40 head are DNA'd and any foals born now are PQ'd. lt is and was a big expense and we also have to consider the M.O. exchange bumps the cost higher for us to begin with. All foals born here have been PQ'd for the last few years. l won't if spending over 2 thou buy unless they are typed. l know it's not fool proof but it's a step and each step leads somewhere. l just think it's to bad that so much underhanded stuff took place with paperwork and now we all have to pay for those jerks..
This makes me ask another question... Would you be more willing to purchase a mare if she was DNA'd or do you think that should be the responsibility of the breeder?

Latest posts

Back