winter projects

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diamond c

MHT Supporter
MHT Supporter
Reaction score
Well I decided today that it was time to retire my wagon and build a new on. The one I have/had I built out of some scap leftover ply wood. It was safe and sturdy but I new it would not last forever. My skills are very slight. Really I just wanted to see if I could do it, and would it look like anything. I was just wondering what ,if any, is everyone else doing over the winter till the weather gets suitable to hitch up and ride?

Wellll, now that you mention it, I have already started my project. I am redoing my horse trailer this winter . i sprung a few leaks in the roof, so i tore out the ceiling insulation and sanded and sprayed with Extend (a rust inhibitor) and then sprayed the seams with this stuff that swells up and seals and insulates. Now that that is done i am going to tear out the paneling that is in the living area and put in new paneling. i think just a thin plywood so i can paint it the color i want. then my son said he will help me make the ceiling look nice and put in some electricity and a sink with just a graywater pipe. i hope we can get it done be spring because i can't wait togo camping with my little Charlie again. we had so much fun this fall. Oh, i am also making new curtains for it and bought a new blanket for me. my husband bought me a microwave and a dvd player for Christmas. Can't wait to get it done.!!!!!!!

By the way my trailer is a 1972 and is in pretty good shape. i sanded and painted the outside. used tractor paint and put it on with a roller. not bad for an old lady, huh?

have fun with your project and keep us posted/

Wellll, now that you mention it, I have already started my project. I am redoing my horse trailer this winter . i sprung a few leaks in the roof, so i tore out the ceiling insulation and sanded and sprayed with Extend (a rust inhibitor) and then sprayed the seams with this stuff that swells up and seals and insulates. Now that that is done i am going to tear out the paneling that is in the living area and put in new paneling. i think just a thin plywood so i can paint it the color i want. then my son said he will help me make the ceiling look nice and put in some electricity and a sink with just a graywater pipe. i hope we can get it done be spring because i can't wait togo camping with my little Charlie again. we had so much fun this fall. Oh, i am also making new curtains for it and bought a new blanket for me. my husband bought me a microwave and a dvd player for Christmas. Can't wait to get it done.!!!!!!!

By the way my trailer is a 1972 and is in pretty good shape. i sanded and painted the outside. used tractor paint and put it on with a roller. not bad for an old lady, huh?

have fun with your project and keep us posted/
And if you need any other parts message me and I will send you a link to all horse trailer parts.I re-did the living quarters of a trailer a few years back with the panels they put in motor homes..I had so much fun doing my trailer.Then I sold it because my one big horse wouldn't load in it..I would give my right arm for it back because it is exactly what I need for my minis..

Diamond C , Well again, I live in Melber and always looking for someone to trail drive with. i am about an hour from Calvert City and spend as much time as i can at Wranglers. Camp there too. i would love to meet sometime and trail drive.

Maybe Izmepeggy could join us. Thanks for the tip Izmepeggy, i would love the name or website of the trailer parts place. thanks again.

Yeh I know where Melber is. And Wranglers is only about 30mins for me. I havn't had my boys there yet but its on my list for next year. IF I can get everything together. Anyway bat to everyones winter projects.

Diamond C , Well again, I live in Melber and always looking for someone to trail drive with. i am about an hour from Calvert City and spend as much time as i can at Wranglers. Camp there too. i would love to meet sometime and trail drive.

Maybe Izmepeggy could join us. Thanks for the tip Izmepeggy, i would love the name or website of the trailer parts place. thanks again.
I live just south of Louisville..Right now my truck is possessed.. LOL..Need to send it to the shop..But this spring I may take you up on it!!

Ok I was helping my father-in-law te other day, and we got to talking. I told him of my need for a new wagon and he gave me an old golf cart. I know its not a traditional looking wagon,( normaly I'm very traditional ) but hay neither was the horseless carige. I figure I can pull the moter, steering wheel, and a few other misc. parts and I'll be ready to go. I'm usually not fond of a tie rod steering set up but for now and for free I'll just go with it. Its even got a top on it already to keep the sun off my mostly bald head. Then later on this sumer I can start on a wooden wagon and take my time and do it right.

I bought a round bale cart, 4 wheels, either the front or all wheels can be rigged to turn.

It's very heavy, 16" wheels, hoping to adapt it to a team wagon. I got a set of carriage springs for the seat, it is rigged with brakes, plus a friend has a pile of aluminum diamond sheeting for lightweight decking.

I took off the turntable and the gear, cut a few more pieces off it.

Not quite sure how it will play out...

turning.jpg

Thats a neet ilem. I would like to have one for what it is. I've never seen one before. Anyway I enjoy repurpacing things to make other usefull things out of them. Sometimes it saves you a lot of money. Sometimes it ends up costing me more than if I had just bought it already made. But I enjoy it and I guess you could call it recycling.

Probably end up costing me more
default_smile.png

There was a nice team wagon at an auction, went for about $500, probably should have bought that.

This one's up to about 400 already, but hopefully it will be closer to what my mind's eye wants.

Looks like my winter project is fencing an area of the back acreage for an "arena" and making a carwash, a bridge and some other obstacles for the little horses. The arena should make it easier for me to handle Nevada who is a pill but still a nice horse. If he gets away from me he'll be trapped and not running around the whole yard. That is my theory anyway.

The weather has been so bad here and I'm having to do my bilding out side, so I havn't got much done. I hope to work on it a little this weekend before the temps get back dow in the teens. I'm about to decide that it's not going to be the quick little project that I had hoped for.

yah, mines not making much progress either. what a winter.!!!!! tomorrow is my big day though, my wagon is going to be delivered. it is like a runabout. i am soooo excited. it doesn't have the finish on it yet, but i have a heated tack room so guess what i will be doing. i am sooo excited. i will put pics on tomorrow iff i can.

I am doing all my work outside,but i did make some progress yesterday. Today is suposed to be nice also so I'm going to try to get some stuff done today also. I don't have the knolage or cappabilaty to do pictures, and you realy can't tell I've done anything anyway. when I get don I'll try to get my daughter to help and put some pics of the finnished product on here.

Ok I was helping my father-in-law te other day, and we got to talking. I told him of my need for a new wagon and he gave me an old golf cart. I know its not a traditional looking wagon,( normaly I'm very traditional ) but hay neither was the horseless carige. I figure I can pull the moter, steering wheel, and a few other misc. parts and I'll be ready to go. I'm usually not fond of a tie rod steering set up but for now and for free I'll just go with it. Its even got a top on it already to keep the sun off my mostly bald head. Then later on this sumer I can start on a wooden wagon and take my time and do it right.
I saw this on craigslist and thought of you..It might give you some ideas.. http://tricities.craigslist.org/grd/4275193089.html

Latest posts

Back