How IS your winter recovery going?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah we just got SNOW! It's April 15 and we just got over an inch of SNOW! It has been beautiful outside. In the high 60's low 70's F. I have been cleaning out my flower beds and just cleaning up the yard enjoying the spring warmth. But now we have SNOW!!!!!! AGAIN!!
default_giveup.gif
default_gaah.gif

This is what I'm waking up to! My poor Irises!

2014-04-15_06-34-40_345.jpg

2014-04-15_06-41-20_315.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
CRAZY here. Our grass is long enough to mow AND we are expecting snow tonight (I guess goodbye to our pending apples, plums and peaches).

We were due for 25 degrees overnight. Spent a couple of hours trying to cover everything. Expected to lose the cherries and peach. It's 7:30 and the temp is 36! Yay!! Even if it drops down now below freezing it won't be there long enough to harm anything. Maybe the moon had something to do with it...

After a taste of spring.. It has been raining and BLOWING for two days. My Tibetan Spaniel Bonnie hates the wind. She would crawl up my pant leg if she could. Too much rain, washing rivers everywhere Now tonight it is going down in the teens in temperature tonight. Brrr Glad I didn't take the heated mattress pad off the bed yet. I covered what plants I could. sheesh, thought we were done with this crappy weather. My goats have been hiding in the hut.

One heifer calved yesterday, 3/4 Jersey calf, cute as the dickens and big brown eyes and huge eyelashes chocolate brown with white spots. AWWWWW. too cute. Glad to not be checking her momma tonight.

awww, shucks, now it is snowing. ugh. Need sunshine.

I'm totally confused, yesterday the temp. started dropping fast, I brought in my potted flowers and took mason jars and covered the tiny baby plants that had popped up over the warm weekend. We didn't bring in any fire wood so of course I'm freezing, thank goodness I have a hubby and dogs to keep me warm at night. I've been taking alergy meds for three weeks and still sneezing and eyes running even after the heavy rain, oh and it was sleeting last night.

The winter recovery was going great almost 60cm of snow gone within a few days. Until today.... There was an ice jam and the river let go. The damage is horrible, luckily we are ok. Our property is on higher ground. The damage down below has been devastating to roads, farms and businesses alike. The current is so strong in some places that they can't even send boats across. http://bigcountry969.com/spring-flooding-in-red-bridge-new-brunswick/

983636_10152433633043968_6427586023398587529_n1.jpg

10153443_10203628267010247_213534094_n1.jpg

10259367_10203628251249853_643086592_n1.jpg

Oh my! That is terrible!!

Why O why can't we somehow even out all this moisture. We are desperately dry here. After the cold snap night before last, the area wheat is ruined. Farmers will be plowing it up, and waiting for rain to try another crop.

OMG!!!! That's is horrible! Thank goodness you guys are alright!! I feel bad for the rest of your area!

They had to evacuate about 100 people, but there are still people stranded. The water is slowly starting to go down as of a couple hours ago. I have never seen anything like this, and I have lived here my whole life. A lot of farms ended up underwater, they had to rescue a the livestock. We are currently housing a few horses that were flooded out. Many of the other animals are staying at other local farms until the water resides.

Oh my word alotton... that is really scary. Bless you for helping your neighbors and glad you are ok. wow.. too much rain or too little rain. Seems like there is no balance anywhere.

I thought winter was over.... so planted some cool weather crops... and of course.... we have three nights of below freezing temps.... :p
Will have to go out later today and see if the Veggies lived.

Weather here is bi polar...

I haven't been watching the news so haven't heard about the flooding in NB. What a mess!

Here--It warmed up, then turned cold again--Wednesday MN got 12-15" of snow, that missed us & all we had was the cold. Now it's warming up again and later today/tonight the rain is supposed to start (no fun, not when the temperature is barely above freezing, that's going to be a darn cold rain!) There is a heavy snowfall warning issued for north of here, just 40 miles, or less, from us. To the west just over the border in Saskatchewan they have a freezing rain warning for today. In all honesty, as cold as it is today snow would be preferable to rain.

I already have some sick horses--coughs and snotty noses--and I'm concerned about how they are going to stand up to cold rain tonight.
default_sad.png

Crappy weather almost everywhere it seems.

a few beautiful warm sunny days and now cold again and more rain, it is supposed to be spring I think. I do have some iris blooming and wild lilies here pop up in the grass, they are very hardy.

Happy Easter everyone.

I just read attton post - so sorry and so terrible - I feel for all those in the flood path, people and animals, something is really amiss here with the weather.................

Our temps are rising, slowly, but now the wind is howling. My main project outside at this time is to pick a winter's worth of poop from the corrals, and that isn't happening on a windy day, I have no intentions of aggravating my allergies with poop dust. [That fine stuff is just horrible swirling in the wind.] I could be trimming a couple horses, but no energy to do that today.

Our temps are rising, slowly, but now the wind is howling. My main project outside at this time is to pick a winter's worth of poop from the corrals, and that isn't happening on a windy day, I have no intentions of aggravating my allergies with poop dust. [That fine stuff is just horrible swirling in the wind.] I could be trimming a couple horses, but no energy to do that today.
DUST!!! good heavens, I am so jealous! We are weeks or months yet from any dust except inside the barn. I haven't even begun spring cleanup ... all that stuff from dogs and horses and the chicken house and... Oh my. Our weather has improved but we had so much snow this year that I've still got probably a foot of the stuff in the fields and we won't even take about all those banks that got pushed up when we were clearing driveways and parking areas (and spaces for the horses to move around) . I expect it to be June before some of these piles go (lets hope I'm exaggerating
default_pray.gif
) But... we haven't had to deal with bitter cold for over a month and any snow flurries were wet and more like rain, didn't stay for more than a night, so I won't complain. I feel so bad for the people who keep seeing a recap of the winter or all that flooding. Hang in there every one, remember global warming, not another ice age!

3-6" layer of mostly dry dusty poop on top, 1-4" layer of ice, and then either another layer of poop or ground level. That would be the mare pen. The gelding pen and other group pen are much wetter and deeper; its been longer since they've had a deep cleaning.

Finally a beautiful sunny day reaching around 80 degrees here. Perfect for Easter! Happy Easter everyone and hope you are blessed with decent weather.

We will be repairing fencing at our elderly neighbor lady's house. Hopefully we have a win/win situation going on. Her brother comes from New Mexico to here in Texas a few times a year to bush hog their family place and do maintenance there. He will be in a few days. We are going to put the "the boys" in their pasture. Last week we got the fallen limbs up to make it easier for his bush hogging. She is a really good neighbor. She gives me fresh garden veggies and I give her wheel barrel loads of poop for compost.

Week before last on Sunday I was in shorts and a tank top. Woke up the next morning needing heavy coat, toboggan, and gloves. Glad winter is over and hope we have some spring before getting hit with the inevitable summer heat.

It has rained buckets all day. We were at 6-8 inches of rain at supper time and it has rained hard ever since. Roads and pastures flooded and the stream is way over its banks and into the fields. looks like a raging river. I have no idea how many inches total this will be but it hasn't flooded like this since hurricane agnes. YIKES. So glad we have not had time to plant hay or corn as yet. Those farmers are surely crying with all this flooding. Many will have to replant as the fields are washing something horrible. Wind from weird direction, old house dripping... goats haven't come out of the hut all day. Horses don't seem to mind. I am going batty trying to convince the dogs that it is a good idea to go potty outside. I am ready for a real spring. had frost 2 days ago. ugh. Need to buy some grass hay and nothing is growing.

Ok... done whining... down to barn to finish cows and hay feeding. Hope we keep our power.

Back