How IS your winter recovery going?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Performancemini

Reaction score
Good idea. Fresh (meat?)-err, topic. Well, it's definitely not winter here anymore-but spring is sure playing games yet. Next week is looking good at this point. Supposed to get 50's with a couple 60's and 71 on one day! Yay-that's more like it.

I am still not able to do much outside and with the horses due to my recovering foot/ankle and hand-but I'm getting there. I see patches of white hair from the shedding grey minis. I also see grey minis that look like "black" and white pinto mud horses LOL! They sure like their sunbaths too. Only sometimes it looks like there's a pasture full of horses that have "kicked the bucket" LOL!

What I'm itching for is sunshine and warm enough weather to clean up the barn, sweep. air it out, etc.

We have been asked by one elementary school and the Library to bring minis for an educational visit. We enjoy doing those. Sometimes I get tired of the intenseness of getting ready for shows. The visits are more relaxing. Still have bathes and a minor trim. But that,s about it.

I know my husband is going to have to get into the sheds a dig out manure and hay from winter. Maybe (and I'm sure he can) he can borrow the neighbor's little Bobcat to do them.

How 'bout you all? What's doing?

default_new_rofl.gif

My recovery is going stinky! Literally! Hubby was finally able to get the tractor out of the back of the barn to get the spreader into the front of the barn so I could clean out stalls. Usually after I do nasty stalls like that I'm so sore but this time, nope, no soreness! I think because I have been carrying so much water and shoveling and chipping ice I'm in a pretty good place back legs and arms wise!

Yesterday I curled up in a ball and put my heating blanket on. It was so depressing out. Temp in the 30's rain/sleet. It was yucky. Today similar but I am determined to clean my bed room and dust off my exercise machine!

We are doing well. We went up north for my father in laws funeral so coming hone again was like visiting a sauna.

Due to the baby it's been a shamefully long time since I looked in on my pony, but I know she's in good hands and we are having a blast getting plans together for her new home.

No garden this year. I just don't have the time anymore. Baby boy is high maintenance, and that's putting it mildly.

Starting to recover slowly here. Haven't dug a bit of ground, no hay planted, hardly any manure spread...

On the bright side, my heifer that needed emergency surgery for a twist post calving is recovering so far and eating good.. my calves that were all sick were seen by the vet for the second time and given some fancy antibiotics and treatment and after hosing and giving probiotics and electrolites are actually getting silly they feel so good. The 40 degree or more temperature changes from day to night was tough on our cows and calves and heifers.

My yard looks like a few bombs went off. Working on it. My best friend who recently retired considers yard work a fun chore and bless her for helping me for so many hours try to find my yard again. She got poison ivy already but is still happy to come back and try again. The number of branches that came down in that ice and wind storm last month is daunting.

"special thanks" goes to those city folks who speed through our road in their big SUVs and toss out their beer cans and Mcdonalds trash for me to enjoy and clean up every spring and for all those special folks that think we are a recycling center for appliances and a place to toss their trash when they don't want to pay for garbage removal.

My three kids have been taking turns being sick for 3 weeks. The doctor says... "Your kids haven't been in for a sick visit since 2011. They are doing better finally. One got asked to the prom.. sigh, shopping for prom dresses not my cup of tea... I will try. I am such a nerd.

My friend planted a bunch of flower bulbs out front. I can't remember when is the last time I enjoyed flowers.

My stable is looking good and dry and my horses are shedding like crazy. Just had the farrier out for spring trims, need to get the dentals done soon.

My list grows longer. Need to worm goats, already did hoof trims. Cool trimming fainting goats, they stand real nice and still (stiff).

Anyway, it is so nice to take off the rubber pants I have lived in all winter and if it gets any warmer I might shed the long underwear. Time to go on a diet, can't hide any more.

Spring is here and summer is coming. I am so enjoying my daily walks with the dogs. I can't ever remember going so long without being able to walk at all. Thought the snow would never leave.

take care folks!

Sharing a photo of 4 swans that decided to visit our pond for 4 days during our hopefully last snow fall. I don't know where they came from or where they went, but they sure were pretty to look at.

Trout fish stocking the stream on Monday.

IMG_0375.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Gosh, shorthorsemom, that is a beautiful sight, swans in the neighborhood!

I hear you with the city folk throwing their trash out. I carry a grocery sack on my walks and pick up trash. And their animals--grrrr! My friend a few miles down the road had a stray dog (the 2nd in 2 weeks) come up. She already has 3 adopted strays. It bit her, so they had to send it off for rabies testing. It was emaciated, and they couldn't take a chance. Luckily, it was negative. Nasty bite, though. Toms have been under the leanto where we store our hay. I hate that smell! I hate when people drop their stray cats off: Oh, there's a nice barn and people in the country always like to have more cats, don't they?!

I am feeling more hopeful, beginning to see some green here. Mesquite are not budded out yet, but I plan to clip my horses when they do.

Desperate for rain here. Coyote packs are moving in from the south, as I believe it is much worse there. The Wildlife Dept killed 40 by helicopter recently about 50 miles south of me. They were killing newborn calves and coming up into yards in the daytime. People were afraid to let their small children out to play alone.

Killed our first rattlesnake of the year. I walked within a few inches of it several times, then it rattled. Yikes. It had 12 rattles. I had seen the chickens clustered in the area, but didn't pay attention. Need to be alert now.

The weather is playing yo yo but is so warmer. Mud is every where and just when I think hubby has it smoothed out, it rains again. Plants are still in the window because the ground is too wet and muddy to plant. I'm afraid that when we do get the cool weather plants in the ground like broccoli and coliflower that it will get really hot and kill them. I did go to Lowes and get some flowers, they really cheer me up. The paddocks are still a mess, stalls are good but oh the paddocks are so bad it looks like I'm a neglectful owner. A couple of girls have dreadlocks as I can't seem to keep up with them all, the hair is really flying around here, even my farm help has been brushing, and he never helps with grooming. I got the tack room cleaned and the indoor, shame, I'm not showing as we have an indoor that is now vacant becuase of well so many reasons, but whatever. We are seeding two pastures this weekend, ground has been turned over and horses are crammed into a small drylot but they will survive and love it when the new pastures are ready. Still more to do but I over did it yesterday and now my knee is swollen, Dr. said when that happens to baby it till the swelling goes down. It is the knee I had replaced, stupid me, cuase I knew I was over doing it yesterday when my back started hurting. Oh well, I'll get over it. Have plenty of stuff to do without being on that knee, like volunteer work for Cancer. I'm just so happy the weather is warmer.

Yikes, close call on the snakes Marsha!

We had coyotes move in here and they are not something that is normal for this area.

I think the brutal winter was what brought in the coyotes. They have been killing fawns here. I got a photo of one the other day in broad daylight.

I hate when folks drop off their stray cats here too. I got a rescue organization help me spay and neuter about 40 cats here and we were peaceful... then I noticed a new cat... and then she had kittens outside and they are wild as the dickens. sheesh, all over again. Now I have 4 more to neuter. Like I have that kind of money, its like draining the ocean.

My basset hound was dumped here and he came with a Labrador that I was able to find a home for. We get dumped dogs and cats all the time.

Trout stream fish stocking on Monday. Everybody wants to come to the farm and fish, but nobody wants to help with the stocking. same story every year. We didn't stock first pass this year, they brought around the fish truck when we had 6 inches of snow on the ground.

It is a big production to get the tractor and wagon and the fish buckets across the field quickly and get the fish put in the stream. Last year the only help we had was a guy with stage 4 liver failure and a guy that had just had a triple bypass. Reminds me of that kids story about nobody wanting to help to bake the bread but everybody wanting to eat it...

We try to give back to the community but hate being taken advantage of at the same time.

Anyway... watch those snakes!!!!

We have snakes but none that are poisonous.

Out to feed goats.. nice thread... getting some activity on this back porch after all. smile.

The story of the Little Red Hen, tell me about it!

Paddocks are drying up but still a chore to clean up, but dry enough to be able to burn downed limbs, but rain is predicted tomorrow; oh great news.

But....I saw a butterfly today, a beautiful yellow swallowtail, so spring must be here and we have lots of pollen everywhere. The baby wrens in the nest on my back porch fledged yesterday and the hawks are screaming and soaring and I did see an eagle fly over. Shedding hair everywhere!

got bridle paths trimmed today and worming done on all.farrier comes Tuesday and he will help give 1st shots.My knees(all 3 of the replacements)have been giving me fits for the past 2 weeks-painful every step and even at night in bed.haven't done much since I'm in terrible pain after gettinf barn chorse done in the AM.Lots of sitting.Called ortho guy's office on Monday to get an appointment-got the run around,I'm scheduled to see his assistant on April 16.I'm going in with a NASTY letter about patient after care. IMO he's either greedy or too big for his britches and wants to see how many he can do.He's 1 of the best in this area and waiting time for his surgery is almost 1 year.Got on the internet and self diagnosed.I think it is bursitis of the knees.Got out the DMSO and smeared it on both knees.My thinking-if it's good enough for the horses it's good enough for me.It is working -lots less pain-better movement.Terry-give it a try.Have to get if from equine supplier.Tried my pharmacy-no luck.I feel like dancing-I'm so much better.

I HAVE WATER!!!!! Woo Hooo!!!!!
default_cheeky-smiley-006.gif
Last night I turned it on and it took a few but OH YEAH I have barn water!!! Today will be grooming and hoof trim day. Maybe sweep cob webs just do some spring cleaning. As long as it's warm and I don't have to wear my snow suit I'm super happy!

I just wanted to say I did have 2 good things come from this nasty winter. I got a new hot water heater and a new(reclaimed) kitchen floor! Both in March! Hubby must have been feeling the yuck of winter too! LOL!

Oh Bev, so sorry to hear you are having problems with your replacments. Yes it is my knee that was replaced years ago, and the doctor tells me it's just one of those things? I have bursitis in my hips, what a pain, mostly at night cuase I can't lay on either side. It's heck getting old isn't it, but sure beats the alternative if you know what I mean.

Got the garden turned over again yesterday, should say hubby did, some plants in the ground and fencing up for peas. I got some worming, grooming done, one stall stipped that had been neglected, shame on me, and finished my mailing for cancer society. Hubby went out and bought us subs for dinner, yeah. We got our stallions hooves trimmed and he was a pain for worming you would have thought I was trying poison him, he is also out of his outdoor paddock so it can be turned over today, for freash planting. Speaking of which, dang pastern seed is getting exspensive. Sun will out all day today but rain tomorrow so out I go.

My fake knees are so much better now that I'm using horse liniment on them.(DMSO) It's working great.I can now get a few things done that don't require my sitting on my behind.Got the heated water buckets out of the pastures,scrubbed them good and put out to air dry.Will put them in the tack room tonight until next winter comes.Put out clean red muck buckets and filled them in pastures and run in sheds.Plan to dig up a few more Iris from a spot where they didn't do well.That small field will get lambs when they are weaned.I love spring-my favorite time of year.New babies of all kinds and things get green and start growing.Now if I can just get my crummy back to feel better I will be ready to take on the world.My mind says I can still do things and my body says"NO WAY BABE-WHAT ARE YOU THINKING CRAZY OLD WOMAN!!"

Its a little early, but we are warm enough, so I drug out the summer water tubs today and filled them with water. I was getting tired of hauling little buckets of water every day. Also got out the water trailer, so I can more easily haul water; can't leave water in it, its still too cold, but I can haul a lot more with it over buckets. Started cleaning corrals and found a layer of snow/ice under the manure, so its going to be a job cleaning the corrals. Pooped out after 4 cartloads, so will do more tomorrow.

I'm doing the happy dance! Spring is here in NE KY. There may be a few more days of cold, but I'm not fazed. We finally got into our new farm, (1 week today) and all the critters are settling in.

I actually got to mow my own pasture today! Knocked down weeds and wild onions. (makes me hungry LOL!) Grass is growing like crazy. Mowed the yard too. We let the minis out in the pasture for the first time yesterday. Like to never got them back in. Today I hand walked them. Will do until they get used to the spring grass or come when called. I'm not chasing them all over 5 acres again!

Now to get the old home ready to sell in between working on the new one. Hope it goes fast! I am so done with that part of my life!

YEAH SPRING!

We are overloaded with water from melting snow and there is more rain on the way. The horse stalls need new roofs because they leak. When I can get to it, fencing for a new pasture is going up. We couldn't cart the manure away from the barn with all the snow so we have a winters worth to move. I look at it as future dirt for my garden.

I raked all day. I have a tractor trailer size load of crap raked up and so much more to rake and my dump cart has a flat. sigh. On the bright side ... it is looking a little better out there.

My mom sent me a message and says she is visiting on April 24th and my brother and my niece and her new baby are coming too. How funny, I didn't invite anybody.. snicker.... YIKES. I have no hope of getting things looking good, I will just settle for not Gross. Don't you just love when the relatives come calling. This was the most brutal winter ever here and we are so far behind and things look positively awful. oh well.

My dear friend came over and brought me some pansies and put them on an old stump out front. Haven't enjoyed flowers in forever. How sweet.

Things are starting to look good in the yard.

The horses are shedding and our farrier is coming this next week. So we are making progress. We got some ivy down off the house today and 3 cable dishes taken to the trash. I wish those companies would pick those things up. Got some stone bricks put around the front flower beds.

I bought seed for my herb garden and raked it out today. Thinking of doing my larger veggies in containers this year and the Guinea coup needs repairs on the attached yard.

Tomorrow it is supposed to rain so will get things caught up in the house. Then will be back to picking up fallen limbs and trimming bushes. We have around the house taken care of so it will be time to pick up out in the fields and walk the fence line to see where it needs repairs. I do see a few small pines that need to be snipped off. There is always loads of stuff to do. Loving the temperatures and the breeze was perfect today.

My place isn't really a mess because I spruce it up pretty good before winter hits. But I really want to put a fresh coat of paint on the barn and inside this summer and I have to overhaul the tack room which got very messy over the winter. I have a planter in the front and back entrance and need to clean them out and add some new bark chips and lay my manure down for my pumpkin patch and that's about it. The horses have finally began to shed. Yay for that.

Saturday it was close to 90 and I got sunburn at the grandsons ball game, yesterday the high was like low 50's and I had to put my flannel shirt and boots back on. Spring in middle Ga. is some weird stuff LOL. Today is 50's with some really bad weather moving through, we're under tornado watch all day.

The snow is just starting to melt here and it's staying about 2-3ºC in the day. The pasture still has about 2 feet of snow and that probably won't be gone until May. No mud, though! We have absolutely no dirt here as we covered everything with gravel or grass. I'm so excited for summer to finally arrive! I have lots of things planned for Breaker and I such as driving lessons, a three-day driving camp, a two-day de-spooking clinic and hopefully go watch my first CDE! Ugh... it's hard to write about warmer times while looking outside at the frozen, snow-covered lake. Oh well, spring will come soon enough.
default_smile.png

Back