Winter Driving projects.....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KTS@Sawmill River

Reaction score
I wanted to post these pictures just for Mary(Targetsmom). The mare pictured below is SRF Jubilation, a coming 3 yr. old. She is by our herd sire, SRF Nobility and out of Vermilyea Farms Exotic Exposure, (a.k.a. Sox) who now belongs to Mary. Sox produced some beautiful foals for us and I am so glad that Mary decided to add her to her herd. I have been working with Jubilation for almost a month and she has surpassed all of my expectations. I have had some great luck with 2 yr. olds!

ShelbyCent083.jpg

ShelbyCent109.jpg

I also wanted to share a couple of pictures of my other project. This is SRF Centurian..... He has done very well in the show ring over the years and was retired after Nationals in 06. He has been hanging out since then, and about 2 weeks ago, I decided to see how he would do with driving. He was broke to drive and pinned at Nationals in Country Pleasure, but I figured he wouldnt remember a thing. Well, I was pleasantly suprised when he got back in cart... He remembered everything! He might even see the show ring in 09!!!
default_smile.png

winter08051.jpg

My brother is driving him in the pic. He made the switch to Modern Shetlands a few years ago and helps out from time to time with the minis. I know driving shetlands and minis is different, but I think Wesley enjoyed driving Centurian

winter08089.jpg

I know that there are many others who are working on driving horses this winter..... Lets see some pictures!!!!

I do not have any driving horses right now, but seeing your photos really makes me wish i did !!!

Nice nice nice
default_biggrin.png

Thank you Kristina for posting those photos. I just love that filly and Centurian looks pretty good too. Wesley has him looking very nice!

My current project is SRF Buckshot, purchased from Sawmill River Farm of course. Actually I have a second driving project - Cay Lees Omegas Champagne on Ice, that I worked today but I don't have any photos of her in training. I train very differently (and am still pretty new at this) but my carriage driving trainer seems to think Buckshot is coming along well. Anyone else would probably have him hooked by now, but I am taking it slow. He is only about 30" tall. Recent photo of him being longed because the long line photos didn't come out.

BS_10_08_grdr_3.jpg

Thank you Sawmill River Farm for trusting us with Buckshot and Sox (and Cowboy too - can't forget him)! Please keep your fingers crossed for next year.

I have one horse that I have started. We're taking it slow but I am very happy with what I am seeing. He's been in blinkers for 2 weeks and is starting to not freak out when anything is behind him
default_rolleyes.gif

First photo is way back in august when he had just started(guess he's more of a fall project huh
default_laugh.png
)

http://s218.photobucket.com/albums/cc111/S...nt=HPIM0364.jpg

Next one is nothing special, but its in October. He's now in a bridle, so hes much better in the mouth. I've super excited to see what he can do, and hes got nice movement to boot!

http://s218.photobucket.com/albums/cc111/S...nt=HPIM0516.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
We have one Winter driving project this year but she is not starting for a few more weeks so I don't have any driving pictures. It is our upcoming 3 year old Mare SMHC's Freedom's Absolute Perfecta:

IMG_2132-1.jpg

I can not wait to see how she takes to the harness.... It is so exciting to see the progress of green driving horses.

Kristina, I love SRF Centurian's story. I think most of the Sr. Halter horses should be put under harness for the pure reason that you will never know what you will get with them until they are in the cart. It's so interesting how they can go so long without practicing a skill, like Centurian's case, and still not miss a beat.

Good luck with everyone's projects!!!!
default_smile.png

Last edited:
Beautiful horses! I have a coming three year old that I'd like to start this winter, but so far I've only threatened him.

Kristina your horses are beautiful!! And love everyone else's too.

Here's my girl, just working on ground driving now, taking a few lessons this winter, she's having fun with it and I am too! I'll have to get some of her ground driving, but for now here's a trotting shot.
default_wub.png
SRF Covergirl

IMG_6388.jpg

ETA: Found a better one

IMG_4200.jpg

Rebecca

Last edited by a moderator:
Well here is CH New Hope, She is my brother's Donkey but i'm starting her for him. She's doing OK, i just started working with her. She is Ground Driving, WT but we have some issues, that we need to work out...

DSC_0357.jpg
She is really good looking, i think in our area, we will do really good in our driving shows.

This is CH Rising Sun, My donkey. She is acutally good! i love her, and she is going to be the first one to hitch. we got her a new bit and WOW, did it make a BIG diffrence, She is so good in it! she gose on a lose rein, and is so good. I plan on doing CDEs with her adventally.

DSC_0344.jpg

this picture dose not do her justice, she is so much better then this picture shows.

Kristina your winter driving projects are looking great! That is no suprise though because you do such a nice job with them. Keep up the good work!

NEAT Thread!!

I just started with my mare as my winter project - tech was going to be fall/winter but life seems to keep happening - we've only gotten in the small step of eatting with a bit to get use to it a few times.

BUT now that our first horse show with my stallion (Spoofer) - who was also just broke to cart is over I am going to set aside more time for Katie

sorry no pics but neat thread

Kristina your horses look great!!

I really need to get Doors going!!

[SIZE=12pt]Wow everyone, love the pictures!
default_wub.png
[/SIZE]

I'm hoping to keep driving my gelding Banner through out the winter. So far he's had probably 3 weeks off though due to being sick... & then mud.
default_new_let_it_all_out.gif
... sigh all that conditioning only to be lost...
default_thumbdown.gif
But as soon as it either freezes or dries we are going to get back out there.
default_wink.png

Here's some pictures from late summer, will be getting more once we actually start driving again.
default_rolleyes.gif

328531650.jpg

328431439.jpg

Kristina, your two are looking great!! Love your pants too!

And I might just have a new driving project sometime soon....Hmmm....
default_shutup.gif
default_whistling.gif

Latest posts

Back