Winter Drive in the Northwest Update

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

R Whiteman

Reaction score
Here is an update on the winter drive in Brady. We drove the car around the area this morning. There are several ways to drive that form a loop. The first loop is 4.3 miles with a maximum elevation of 55.2 feet. The second loop is the whole area, which is about 7.7 miles .The third loop, is about 5 miles. So you can pick the distance.

I have been contacted by 18 people at this point that have expressed an interest. I have not heard form some that I believed would respond. Maybe some just got the power on and the Email up and running.

Start time will be around 11:00 A.M. We should be able to walk the whole loop in about 3 hours.

The hunting area has a bathroom facility of sorts. It does at least give one a feeling of privacy. There is a sign advising that a permit is needed to use the area. There will be room for the horse trailers to park. I have checked the permits are $10.95 each for the first permit and then $5.48 for additional permits. If you have fishing or hunting license you should already have one or can buy a cheep replacement. . You can borrow one from a friend as they are allowed to be used on different vehicles. The sign advised a $66.00 fine for not having one.

The weather forecast at this time calls for clouds with a few showers. That may change by next week. I would bring a raincoat and dress warm.

Directions to the Staging ( parking) area.

From Seattle take highway 101 (exit 104) off of I-5. Proceed west via 101 then Hwy 8 then Hwy 12 till ya get to Brady exit. This is about 30 miles from I 5. Turn left off the free way on to Brady Loop Rd. Turn left at the T intersection. Turn left onto Foster Rd. The parking area is about 1.25 miles. This is about two and a half hours from Monroe. Two hours from Astoria. One hour from Centralia, 35 min. from Rochester.

My son is working on a web page to assist you with directions and show the different loops. Here is the site.

http://www.panix.com/~awhitema/brady_loop/

We are up to 20 people at this time. I have had several request for info on the parking permits. They can be purchased at any place that sells Washington fishing or hunting licenses.

Unless there is a sudden storm we are set to go. More than twenty-five have resonded. I have not heard from the Astoria or the Rochester area but then there is always hope.

The last report on the weather indicates a chance of showers. I hear there are several people bringing new harness and other parts to look at and try out. I bumped this because there is a link to directions to the staging area.

Dress warm. Please bring a slow vehicle farm sign. Helmets are nice also.

See ya there,

Ron

The last report was better. May be cold also.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, there!

I'm sorry I won't be able to make it!

I do have my wonderful gelding who'd love to show up, but my mare is out due to imminent birth (she's due Feb. 14 and for anyone that saw her in Sept., she hasn't quit growing, so I'm giving her time off til baby's a couple months old).

Also,. we're having a house party that evening, so I have to be here. I really like this trend, though, and hope to make it to other events.

Thanks for including us in the invitations!

Liz M.

I see "scattered showers" over here. I hope that the scatters arrive after the drive.
default_yes.gif
:

The photos from this will be fun. :aktion033:

Hey guys,, I have to train up a driving horse first! But sometime, someplace we will be there!!!!!

please evryone bring cameras, id love to see the drive!!! i wish i could come
default_yes.gif
: but illbe rooting for you all :aktion033:

What fun was had by all. The horses appeared to be enjoying themselves; many with bells on. The weather was perfect, and the route was as well. Trumpeter swans swimming and bald eagles flying...It was a wonderful way to end the year. Thanks to the Sonnybrier crew :aktion033: I'm sure pictures will soon follow. :bgrin

I'm sorry to say that due to being late (of course! LOL) and having my hands full with an initially hot-to-trot horse I didn't get many pictures for once. I was at the back of the pack returning to the trailers and it seemed like by the time the last few of us rolled in everyone from the front was already unhitched, stripped off, and the vehicles covered! :new_shocked: Too bad, there were several new carts I would really have liked to have tried out.

Dorothy Whiteman was kind enough to drive Kody for me a bit at the end so I could watch how his new breastcollar fit and I did get some pictures of that. She actually liked the Hyperbike and Kody sure liked having her scritch his rump! Hehe.

It was a wonderful, wonderful drive. The weather was incredible, the drive down full of beautiful scenery, and the actual drive route was heaven. All I could think was "If I had somewhere like this to drive, we'd have no problem conditioning for marathon!" All those giant pastures to train in, road to trot down...man. It was truly a wonderful way to spend the day. After most of the rigs had pulled out Merridy Hance, her husband Peter, Wanda Lusk, Wanda's friend Carol and I spent some time visiting and fitting Camptown harness pieces to our various horses. It was a delightful trip and I even made it all the way up to Bellevue before it got dark. Mt. Rainier was this unbelievable technicolor glory on the way home; it took my breath away.

All in all I haven't had such a good day in a long time. Kody was happy to get out as well and finally relaxed that edginess he's had for the last month or so. That boy hates winter because it means I usually stop driving him and he gets super bored. At least this year I've been driving as much as I can but he still misses going out as much as I do.

So on behalf of Kody and myself, thank you to the Whiteman's for organizing this wonderful gathering!

Leia

P.S.- Gimp, where were you? In the pace truck?

Last edited by a moderator:
P.S.- Gimp, where were you? In the pace truck?

Leia,

So sorry not to have introduced all to you. I did that before we left and sorta didn't do it again. My apologies. Gimp is my sister, Nancy and was sitting beside me behind Levi.

Dorothy

Ah! The nice lady I enjoyed chatting with. :bgrin Thanks, and don't worry about the introductions.

Leia

Ah! The nice lady I enjoyed chatting with. :bgrin Thanks, and don't worry about the introductions.

Leia
Aww gee, thanks, I guess
default_wacko.png
: That "nice lady" title is a bit unnerving, my dear. (Some of us have real issues with growing up
default_wink.png
: )

Next year perhaps we can chat a bit more, eh? Kody looked very happy, BTW :bgrin
default_yes.gif
:

Next time...

And soon, Mingus will join in as a driving horse...we had our first coaching session yesterday,,wiorking on behavior for now, then on to driving training...

Here is just a few to whet your appetites for next year. (Those of you out of the area...what's stopping you from doing the same thing!!
default_yes.gif
: )

This is myself, and my sister :saludando:

NYEride3.jpg

A portion of the group:

NYEride6.jpg

A look back at the parking area:

NYEride13.jpg

Unfortunately RWhiteman was taking the pictures so we have none of him as of yet
default_sad.png

More than twenty-five people arrived at the parking area about one mile from the freeway near Brady . Thirteen carriages or “hitches†hit the road on the first Winter Drive. The weather was perfect and most horses were on the road by noon. We paced ourselves at a modest 4 kph. A pair of eagles circled overhead and greeted us within the first ½ mile and the day got better as we drove down the road passing by old farms and wetlands. I was on the road for just under two hours. From the chatter I heard at the end of the drive everyone seemed to have a great time. I do have pictures and I hope with the help of Gimp they will be posted. I saw other people with cameras and I hope they post theirs also.

I feel lucky to have ended the year sharing a drive with good friends

Happy New Year,

Ron and Dorothy

[SIZE=10pt]Thanks Gimp for sharing photos for us that aren't quite to driving yet!!! [/SIZE]

I must say you have the nicest sister and brother in law! They are kind enough to co-ordinate the show that is the high light of mine and my daughters year!!! We live for this show!!!! It was nice to spend a little time talking to them recently about driving and foals, they are really nice personable people ( with nice horses!!!)

It looks like it was a blast!! *When* I have a driving horse, I plan to join in some of these drives!! Thanks for sharing the pics, too!! :aktion033:

Sigh...it's sad when two things you MUST do occur on the same day!

I was okay until I saw the photos...now I see what I missed and all of the people I've yet to meet in person.

Could someone go through and identify the various people in the photos?

Hopefully we'll have many group drives (including at least one in "costume" as Shirley (Triggy n Blue) and I have discussed...hehe!

Latest posts

Back