Winter Drive in the Northwest Update

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm so jealous!!!!! This is exactly why my husband and I got into driving minis! It looks like you had alot of fun, and I wish we were closer to ya'll!!!!!! Thank you for sharing your photos. :aktion033:

susanne said:
Could someone go through and identify the various people in the photos?
Let's see- the pinto team is KC and Willie driven by Wanda Lusk. The girl in bright orange is Hannah Stormer with her gelding Marco, driving a custom Graber cart. In this picture:

NYEride11.jpg

On the right is Sandra Carr driving Quaker, in the middle the black horse is Indy, driven by Isaac Stormer and one of his sisters, and on the left is Sandra's husband driving Raider, who belonged to the Whiteman's and then the Stormer's and has now found a new home with the Carr's. The others I know but can't remember their names. Sorry! Not pictured is Tammy Osgood, Helen Stroklund, Merridy Hance, me (who showed up after these pictures were taken), Mickey Lofgren, and I'm sure I'm missing some others.

You will find the relationship is somewhat incestuous amongst local drivers here- everyone trades carts and harnesses and horses until you aren't sure who owns what now! :lol:

Hopefully we'll have many group drives (including at least one in "costume" as Shirley (Triggy n Blue) and I have discussed...hehe!
Happ's already does this every year- it's called the Picnic Drive and has a different theme each year.

Leia

Ohhh...me & Mouse woulda been a good addition to this group!

I had a good New Year's Eve, but this would have been a great option, too.

Hoping to make it to some of these!

(laughing at the incestuous comment...how apt, clever girl!)

Liz (Give K a scratch and admiration for me)

Leia,

We have a very specific, rather infamous theme in mind...let's just say it involves a cloud of hair spray, elbow length gloves and layers of chiffon...

Cool beans..............you guys were about 10 miles give or take from my house
default_wink.png
: I know the loop hubby hunts down there :bgrin

I still do not have a cart or fully trained mini and I had commitments to family so spent the weekend up in Bow.

looks like fun was had by all
default_yes.gif
:
default_yes.gif
:

There is a rumor going about that there will be a "conditioning" drive in the future. Same place just at a trot this time. Anyone game?

We are looking for additional sites in the Pacific Northwest to do these kind of activities. They are harder to find than one might think. Things like blind corners, speed limits at 50 mph, too many steep hills, parking all the trucks and trailers, and don't forget the outhouse. The list go on and on. So look around folks, set something up. You can have the chance to be "trail boss" for a day. I really believe if you build it, people will come.

Thanks to all those that came and shared in the fun with us.

Ron

There may be more pictures if we can get the photographer out of retirement mode.

If people don't mind driving south, we have a "linear" park that runs from Vernonia (west of Scappoose, north of Hillsboro) to Banks...It's an old railroad line turned trail, closed to motorized vehicles. The entire distance is 21 miles, but of course it wouldn't be necessary to go the entire distance. Judging from the map, the first 7 to 7 miles south of Vernonia are paved...beyond that, several short segments are gravel. There is no fee for usage.

I'd want tHere are a couple of sites about it:

http://www.oregonstateparks.org/park_145.php

http://www.trailsfromrails.com/banks_vernonia_trail.htm

They're working on a continuation of this trail into Scappoose, but as of now it does not continue all the way through...it's just short segments.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ron, I'd love to do another drive but don't think I'll have Kody in shape for sustained trotting that kind of distance before May or June. Could we maybe have a "slow group" and a "fast group?"
default_unsure.png
: The fast group could do all trot if they wanted to and the slow group could alternate trot and walk as the horses required. It's no fun to be left in the dust if you want to participate but your horse isn't conditioned yet.
default_sad.png
I really liked the format of this last drive, it was great.
default_yes.gif
:

The only place I can think of up here is the Arlington Tree Farm which would be great for hill training. Maybe we could organize a game day somewhere as part of the drive? Oh, how about a poker drive?! Same route, but pick up cards along the way and the best hand wins something?

Leia

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back