Windswept

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't have any credentials
default_unsure.png
but what I know about horses that have been diagnosed with Windswept legs is all of of them were fine in time. As long as the tendon contracture or laxity is not so severe that the hoof is not on the ground, the foals ( my only experience has been with foals) all straightened up and were fine without any help..well one foal was put on a supplement.

There are to my knowledge 3 reasons for this; genetic environmental and/or nutritional. I think malposition in the uterus...or mares exposed to plants and toxins are the main causes. I have seen foals photos posted here on LB that you would think they'd be crippled the rest of their lives, then a few weeks later there are new photos of a beautiful swan with dead straight legs. Nothing but time and mother nature involved.

I have read that some have to wear splints and in extreme severe cases surgical procedures are done. The first and best thing to do with any foal is to have a well visit from the Vet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Debbie, I'd like to know what environmental issues will cause this....This is something new to me, and since I've never seen it want to know more!!! Does anyone have photos?

environmentally things known to be a possible cause for ALD are zinc toxicity or copper deficiency. Some plants like Locoweed, Sudan grass and other plants are suspect as well. Google it, there are many articles and photos showing what it is. When it comes to horses it's always good to learn all you can!!!

I've had a couple of foals over the years that were windswept at birth. I related it to how they were laying in utero. It corrected on it's own and within a few weeks of birth, you would never know there had been any problem.

Back