~ Willow isn't any better ~

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maplegum

Reaction score
I'm not sure if you recall my recent post regarding Willow having diarrhea. With all of her symptons, it would have seemed that it was as a result of the new greener grass coming through in the back field. It's autumn here now and the grass has gone crazy. Not long, but certainly very green.

So, I lock both her and Bailey in the yard which is basically a dry lot and feed her only grass hay with a small amount of oaten hay. She is also having speedi-beet.

She was given a course of scouring paste and had natural yogurt all week too. I even tried some corm flour as suggested by someone!

Nothing has worked.
default_no.gif
It's been just over a week now that she has been off the grass. I thought I would have noticed an improvement by now. She's going from having the squirts where you can hear it exiting her body from the other end of the yard, to just sloppy. She has actually had loose stools for a total of about one month, maybe a bit longer.

I wormed her 2 days ago then decided to call the vet and see if he had any suggestions. He wants me to give her a dose of QUEST wormer in 2 weeks time to get the small redworms as this is what he thinks is causing her problems. He told me that in horses under 2, this is very common. I am hesitant to use QUEST so I will use Panacur.

Does this sound like a logical diognosis, considering it was only over the telephone. I told him she has no temperature, is eating well, and seems her usual self. I know that doing a fecal exam will not pick up the encysted strongyles.

Could she have such a worm burden at 8 months old? I'm so fussy too when it comes to worming and collecting poo from the fields. I thought I was doing the right thing.
default_sad.png

Should I introduce her back to the grass now that I'm pretty sure it wasn't the reason behind her diarrhea?

Poor baby girl, just want to make her better.

xox Leonie xox

I have a Willow too, and she also had a bad case of diarrhea. Nothing I gave her seemed to work, until I gave her BioSponge. You can get it on line. It worked wonders and she has been fine since. We had several weeks with the diarrhea before BioSponge.

have you tried psyllium? If they have sand it can cause diarrhea. You can start giving her some bio sponge to help firm her up. I would not give quest! Panacur would be okay. I bet it is sand. If you get a stethoscope and listen to her stomach and if you hear the sound of the ocean that means there is sand in there.

I'm wondering about the speedi-beet. Is it beet pulp? I feed beet pulp, and honestly I think it's one of those things that works both ways. On the one hand I think it can regulate things, but I also think it can act as a laxative.

Personally I wouldn't put her back on the rich green grass until you resolve the diarrhea. Her tummy needs a rest. I would do grass hay only for awhile, as well as try that Bio-Sponge - I need to get some of that stuff!

I'm wondering about the speedi-beet. Is it beet pulp? I feed beet pulp, and honestly I think it's one of those things that works both ways. On the one hand I think it can regulate things, but I also think it can act as a laxative.

Personally I wouldn't put her back on the rich green grass until you resolve the diarrhea. Her tummy needs a rest. I would do grass hay only for awhile, as well as try that Bio-Sponge - I need to get some of that stuff!

I don't know if we have bio-sponge here. Is it a pro-biotic?

Also, we are not in a sandy area, we are in a clay area. I could try some sand clear stuff though. it won't hurt I guess. So you think it might be sand rather than a small redworm infestation?

I'm going to do some research on bio-sponge now.

Yes, speedi-beet is beet pulp. I read that it is easy on their system and doesnt put alot of strain on their digestion. might try cutting it our for now.

Thanks, I'm just so lost.
default_no.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
My mare just got over a bought with loose stool. Hers got very watery and made a mess of her tail and legs. She was great otherwise, not depressed, not loosing weight, no temp. Normal with the runs. She did this in spring. It is my first spring with her, and I think it may just be something horses do sometimes. I kept a close watch, All mine are on probios also. and did all the stuff, worming, sand treatment, but she is very up to date on both so I didnt think that was it. My vet is a big non worrier, so I do a lot of reading, lol and worry myself! My mares loose stool resolved it self I think more than what I did for her. I did however order the Bio sponge and she had one dose before clearing, so I would give that a try.

But dont worry too much if she is ok otherwise, maybe its just her or the season. If she starts to decline otherwise is when I would start to freak! But keep and eye and I bet she will be fine shortly.

Good luck, I like to she her and Bailey.
default_yes.gif

ps....I think beat pulp gave my other mare Silver the runns. She has been near perfect since taking her off it and limiting her mollasas intake.
default_wacko.png

(I am hesitant to use QUEST so I will use Panacur.)

Thats is good to hear
default_wub.png

Please what ever you do, NO QUEST the Vet is Wrong about Quest.

http://equinenet.org/ernet/worms.html

Maybe try

911 Emergency

McIntosh Pro Line • 911 Emergency Crisis Care Paste.

The living gut is a true jungle where only the fittest survive. The gut has a myriad of different microorganisms present; some beneficial, some not. A healthy gut provides an environment where the beneficial microorganisms thrive and multiply in greater numbers while the pathogens struggle. This overbalance of beneficial microorganisms is what determines the relative health and wellness of the gut. By feeding high potency direct-fed microbials, we are attempting to contribute to this overbalance, thus grabbing up all available attachment opportunities and utilizing all available nutrients to reproduce only beneficial microorganisms.

Unlike typical "probiotic pastes", 911 Emergency provides a broad-spectrum complex of beneficial direct-fed microbial and yeast cultures in a unique, bioenergetic base of fermentation products and specially engineered yeast extract rich in glucomannans (GM) and mannanoligosacharides (MOS). With its global replenishment of the full array of ingredients needed by healthy colonies, 911 Emergency produces much faster results for animals of all ages. We guarantee that 911 Emergency is the fastest microbial support system in the marketplace for the immediate care of all classes of animals.

911 Emergency designed for the immediate treatment of the symptoms of, scours, gut ache, stress, heat exhaustion, dehydration, exposure to mouldy hay or forage. For the prevention and treatment of diarrhea, and conditions associated with digestive upset. First aid during colic episode prior to professional diagnosis and treatment. 911 Emergency is a must to have on hand for those Emergency situations.

Use 911 Emergency then call your local veterinarian.

http://www.mcintoshproline.com/equine/index.html

click products and 911 is the first one there.

Having sand is not just from sandy soil. It is dirt in there gut and they can get it from any soil or from dust hay. Younger one will pick up more dirt sometimes. I had one filly that I had to put her on psyllium for a month! (per the vet). We have clay soil too. I didn't believe it till I saw the x rays. Some retain dirt more than others.

You can order bio sponge through "Platinum Performance" They have a web site.

That emergency care paste stuff sounds really good. I am going to have to look for that to have it on hand.

I don't think it is worms since you worm her regularly. I would probably not give the psyllium and the bio sponge at the same time. maybe wait an hour or so. The bio sponge you can give about 3 times a day.

Ohhhh - I just figured that it was only from sandy soil. I'm going to stop on my way home from work and buy some psyllium. How much do I feed her and how often?

I should give some to Bailey too right?

Would having sand in her tummy bloat her? She's been bloated for quite some time too.

Aghhhhh, hope I can help my baby.

What I have is pure psyllium i bought from the vet and it's in these little pellets. It came with a little scoop cup and I gave just enough to cover the bottom of the little cup, once a day. It was about a tea spoon full if it were powdered. the vet said do not wet it or it will get gummy and they won't like the feel. Mine all seem to like it. They get it for 5 days every month. (except for that one time when I had to give it for so long.)

She may be bloated from the fresh grass. Did you change hay recently? My problem started in the fall also.

I don't have any advice Leonie but I wanted to say that I hope poor Willow gets to feeling better really soon
default_yes.gif

Have you tried probios paste? I've heard others say not to use it but to use yogurt because you don't know how long the paste sat on the shelf BUT my paste has an expiration date, so I figure it's the better option?

I hope she is doing better soon!!!

Jill, this is a list of things I have tried.

* scouring paste, which I believe is a probiotic

* natural yogurt 60 mls a day

* hay only diet with a small feed of speedi-beet and chaff (chopped hay)

* corn flour

* no grass for over one week now

* wormed her with an all wormer that also treats tape worms

Tonight I have bought a bag of pysllium husks and gave both her and Bailey the recommended dosage of 100grams each. They don't like the stuff at all. It's been mixed into their dinner so hopefully they will get through it. I've been told to use this for 5 days running. I'm not even sure if she has a belly full of sand, but it can't hurt to see if this works.

I'll be worming with panacur 5 day treatment in 2 weeks time.

I've been around and picked up the poo today, which I do on a daily basis anyway. Her poo seems a little more solid, but still not great.

I let them both into the back field for a 10 minute graze and to stretch their legs. They both raced around with so much energy so I guess she feels ok.

Will keep everyone posted, looking forward to seeing if this pysllium makes a difference. (if she eats it!!)

xox Leonie xox

Leonie,

I use the generic Metamucil from walmart. It is orange flavor and Melody loves it
default_yes.gif
It is pretty cheap too if you get the generic brand
default_wink.png

What was the specific drug in the dewormer you used 2 weeks ago?

The bloated belly and the diarrhea would suggest to me that your vet is right and there is a worm problem.

The bloated belly could be a hay belly if the hay she is getting is poor quality/low protein, but if that were the case I wouldn't really expect her to have diarrhea with it--the opposite would be more likely.

My experience with the loose poops with the younger stock has always been the new grass in spring and when it's starting to die out in the fall something in the grass seems to change. We've bought some pretty wormy minis over the years with bloated bellies but none have had the runs to go with that..l swear by bio sponge best thing since sliced bread..
default_biggrin.png

What was the specific drug in the dewormer you used 2 weeks ago?

The bloated belly and the diarrhea would suggest to me that your vet is right and there is a worm problem.

The bloated belly could be a hay belly if the hay she is getting is poor quality/low protein, but if that were the case I wouldn't really expect her to have diarrhea with it--the opposite would be more likely.

The wormer is called EQUIMAX. It's and all wormer. Active ingredients are ABERMECTIN & PRAZIQUANTEL. I use the rotation program they suggest.

I found worms in the poo from both horses. They seemed to be large redworms, bloodworms. About one worm in every 2 poo piles.

Well, I do have some good news!!!!
default_biggrin.png
No diarrhea last night!! NONE. Nice firm poo, not in individual balls, but heaps more solid!!! I can't tell you how great that was to see!!!

She has now had 2 doses of pysllium. Hates it, but eats it.

She has such a large barrel on her though, she always seems bloated.

Long ago someone said she fed her horse macaroon cookies and that sometimes did the trick. I didn't see it mentioned, and I have never tried it, but wanted to toss it into the mix for you.

Good luck!! It's terrible when a horse isn't 100%.
default_sad.png

Latest posts

Back