Willie's at the vet..

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_minihorses4ever_

Reaction score
I finally got the call tonight. The call everyone dreads.. The one saying, "Your horse is colicking, he needs to go to the vet." One of the worst feelings I have ever felt..

He had mild colicky symptoms, was breathing hard and sweaty. Blood work is normal, his temperature is fine, and did pass a bit of poop when he got to the vet (YAY!) .She put the tube down his nose, got some stuff out, and did an ultrasound. His small intestine was inflammed, but it was contracting. He is staying the night at the vets for IV and to make sure he doesn't start showing any symptoms again. I put him in his "hotel room", and the first thing he did was check the bucket for food. Yep, that's my boy!
default_smile.png
I was glad to see him a bit happier.

She said she is almost postitive he will be fine, but y'alls prayers would make me feel a lot better.

I've gotten that call also and it is horrible. The good news is it seems like it was caught very early - which seems to be so critical with colic. Want to eat is a GREAT sign. They just don't do that when it's really bad - their bodies know.

Hang in there!
default_pray.gif
:

Sending prayers.
default_pray.gif
: I've been woken out of a sound sleep with a hand shaking my shoulder to hear that message and your stomach just drops to your feet. Not fun.

Leia

[SIZE=12pt]Prayers and best wishes for Willy - sounds like you got it in time.[/SIZE]

Barbie

Oh dear, been there done that and more. My prayers for Willie and you.

Well, I didn't get any calls last night, which is a good sign. I will be calling them soon for a real update, but so far so good I guess. Thanks for everyone's caring words, they really helped me sleep last night. He means the world to me..

I sure hope everything turns out well for you, kiddo...
default_yes.gif
: Sounds like it was definately caught in time, though... I will be thinking good thoughts for your pretty gelding....
default_yes.gif
:

Suzy Hooper

Show Horses by Suzy

Fresno, CA

I hope that Willie is doing ok today. Sending prayers for you both!

Looking in, and hoping for an update.

I hope he'll be just fine!

Liz

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got home from school guys, sorry it took so long. Me and my mom have been texting back and forth all day about it.

He was ok last night, but this morning he had to be tubed again. He was fine, but then our vet found him about an hour ago lying down in his stall. She checked him, everything sounded fine except his heart rate was a bit fast. She said she would expect it to be though, since he is probably stressed. She gave him mineral oil about 30 minutes ago, hoping it would help things. She said he has pooped a few times. She isn't sure if he actually coliced, but he is more "stuck" "back there". She said he could go home tonight, but it it was probably best to keep him there just in case.. He will be staying. She doesn't seem worried though, she has seen this a lot.

He still needs your prayers guys for a good night so he can go home tomarrow morning.. Thanks for everything so far!

Back