Will a roan foal show its roan from the beginning?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buckskin gal

Reaction score
Can a person tell from the time a foal is born that it is blue roan, if it is going to be blue roan? How does it differ in looks from a black foal, if any? Never had one but am curious. Thanks, Mary

Last edited by a moderator:
Sometimes you can tell a tbirth but often not. A blue roan often appears pure black at birth-- you don't see the roan until after it is clipped. Sometime a red roan will appear to be a solid sorrel -- but the white hairs will come in later. They are different for sure. But beautiful.

A "true roan" (body is roan, points are dark)....is always born roan... OR, acquires it's roan coloring very early...usually upon first clip or foal shed.
default_yes.gif
:

My roan colt born this year showed his raoning immediately. He looked silver bay but if you divided the hair you could see the lighter colors.

By 1 month you did not have to divid the hair!

The changes in color of a roan horse are amazing, very beautiful IMO

115_1528.jpg

I could see white hairs throughout the rear hair on my filly at birth, and here is a picture now that she has roaned out.........she is bay roan, dam is blue roan, sire is bay pinto....she's about 2 months old here. Her legs are definatly black under neath the baby fuzz.

She is AMHR/ASPC and for sale.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks so very much for the replies. So most of the time a person would see a few white hairs from the time it is born? I would love to see more baby pictures of the roans.

The only Roans I have had have been completely solid at birth- and it depends a lot on the base coat, too.

My Bay Roan I only know is Bay and not Black Roan because she was born solid Bay.

The Grulla Roans looked just plain Black Dun until around three or four and then the coat changes were marked enough to see the roaning but it is still hard- sometimes I only know for sure when they throw a Roan foal!!

The Bay Roan mare did shed to Roan in her first coat- and was a sparkling visual "Blue" Roan by six months.

We had a blue roan foal born this year. This is him as a newborn:

PheobeandJohnnyJumpup022_resize.jpg

and by 2 months he looked like this (was clipped twice):

AmhrshowJuly1crop.jpg

Our blue roan filly had only about 2 white hairs in her flank when she was born, I know, because I was hoping for a roan and checked very carefully! But we decided she was just going to be black, she was that mousy colour that blacks are often born. Until she started to shed!

This year her dam had a bay pinto filly, but she already had lots of white hairs through her flanks at birth, through without parting the hair she looked bay.

I'm not able to upload pictures at the moment or I'd post some befores and afters, but here's one of the bay roan filly at 3 months old.

keepinmemoryz.jpg

Baylee was born solid Bay...not a white hair anywhere, even when parting her hair to look at it close to the skin. Here she is at birth with her Bay Roan dam.

f41d4c61.jpg

Here she is upon her first clipping at 1 mo.

f3bb8fa3.jpg

And again, at 3 months. She now looks like a Black/Blue Roan most of the time...but I know she is bay, as she was born bay & you can see shades of brown on her muzzle during different times of the year.

f351c966.jpg

f351c96a.jpg

This is the only roan I had this year. He was born black, but if you parted the hair you could see the roan color.. Now he is totally roaned at 5 months...

few weeks old

owww003.jpg

3 months WOW, I need to get his 5 month pics. He has changed so much since this pic.

colts013.jpg

Latest posts

Back