Wild mini stallion

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MindyLee

Reaction score
So I got a free stallion, double reg and looks like a great looking boy. He was given to me and I gave him to a good friend for a herd sire for her appalossa program. I brought him home to do some handling with him for the next 3 months.

PROBLEM IS...

I think after he sold from his breeders, something happened to him. He is wild as the dickens, scared of people, and is a really really bad kicker. I think he was ran through the auction yards and then to the person who gave him to me. I had to reinforce my stall and thats where he his to remain as he's WAY to strong for me to handle. He dose have a kind eye and looks like he really wants the attention, however lost all trust in people.

What are some good ways to work with him on his trust and to calm him down? I want to be able to groom him, pet him, and lead him with no issues in 3 months. I have to trim his feet and clean his peepee before he goes back also. (and nope, he wont be gelded as thats not my decision as Im not his owner.) HOWEVER, if he cant be handled, his owner will get rid of him, (back to me) and only then could he be gelded.
default_smile.png
because I would! lol

His name is Underwoods Tiago and he is a silver dapple blanket appy.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know your horsemanship skills but depending on how consistent and skilled you are and the severity of the stallions "issues" it could take a month to years to make him handleable.

I'm guessing since you are asking this general of a question you are seeking help... So if there is a skilled horse trainer in your area I'd suggest asking them to come work with the both of you a few times to point you in the right direction.

I have ro agree with disneyhorse--enlist the assistance of a trainer, someone who can handle this horse. If you have to keep him in the stall all the time he is likely to get worse, not better, because without exercise he will start feeling very fresh.

Any training I would do on such a horse would involve ample turnout time so that he can run off excess energy as he pleases. Then quiet handling in the stall, just petting him, giving him a few treats, brushing him, talking to him. Same thing outside assuming I could catch him there--and in most cases where there is a will there is a way, even with the hardest to catch horses. Kicking--I would have to see and judge the horse's exact behavior before I could say how I would deal with that. Depends if it is defensive, only when approached, or if he is out and out aggressive, going out of his way to try and kick a person.

Quite frankly I think that three months will not be

enough time for you to get this horse where you want him, particularly if he will be going to an owner who is not a real capable horse handler. If he has true aggression issues he will be likely to get worse again if his handler is not experienced enough to deal with his testing her/him.

UPDATE!

Well just in over a weeks time, I have had a HUGE break throught! Im no horse whisper, nor have any ideal how to tame/break a horse BUT I think this boy is doing great with some trust issues with me.

Ive been working with a whip/w bag and spooky noises and other stuff like yelling/singing waving my arms and moving quickly. Tossing stuff in the air and anything that might be noisy/spooky on the out side of his stall. After he got really confy with it and stopped flintching, I got in the stall and been doing it all over again. Ive found out he caught on and is a great responder to getting over from being spooked from objects/noises.

Ive moved on to getting him to tuch my hand and gets a cookie. After a couple of days of this, he now eats grain from my hand. Still spooky of me but only me as a person. No objests like whip, bags, buckets, or wood. Yesterday I found out I can pet him, BUT not with my hand but whith the whip or a piece of 2x4. He lets me scratch him all over with these but watchs my hand like a hawk. So I now have came to the conclusion of its not any type of objects he's scared or spooked by, it humans. So today I walked up to him with-in 5 ft and rubbed him all over with the whip and reached out and with the tips of my fingers, I scratched his butt for just a moment, and he let me! I was sooo happy!

Im gonna continue with tuching him with objects and trying to let me tuch him, But also know to be very careful in doing so. He has in the past striked and cow kicked me. During this past week he has not offered to do any of this, so this is a plus for me.

I may not be doing things a pro way but what I am doing is working and seems like he might just be coming around on some trust issues. Hes defently had something happen to him, and Im only gonna guess it was'nt nice. But me being so nice to him, Im really happy with the little progress he has made!

Thanks for letting me brag as Im pretty proud of being able to tuch his butt!
default_smile.png

Wow great job.

I would say someone did hurt him. It sound like with thier hands. Poor boy

Great progress. I think it will take time but you are doing great with him.

"hugs" you are doing wonderful with him.

I am so glad he found you to help him.

You are going great, good for you! Could I add if you are not already doing this, to talk to him whenever you are around him, not just when you are working with him; in fact sing any kind of soft sweet song, this is still used by some thoroughbred barns to create a calm atmosphere instead of playing the radio loudly as some stables do.

Back