Wicket Measuring Thing

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaVern

Reaction score
Oh, that would simplify my life. Lyn, do you know where I can get one? Are they wide enough on the top for fat horses? Renee

Last edited by a moderator:
Renee, I think they only come in dog sizes but they could be made for minis even fat ones. That would simplify EVERYONES lives!

Lyn

A little long, but this is our experience with a wicket.

In my opinion, a wicket is a very valuable piece of equipment! In 1989, when we were first looking to purchase miniature horses, we were quite naïve and very trusting of what people told us. A breeder we met must have recognized this, because he warned us that not everyone was careful or honest about measuring his or her horses. He had made what he called a “buyer’s hoop”, a wicket made out of aluminum pipe that was exactly 34” tall. He suggested that we take it with us whenever we were going to look at miniature horses.

Our first experience was at a large farm, known for buying, selling and trading minis. (In hindsight, not the best place to start looking!!). The owner told us that all 40+ horses in a particular pasture were 34” and under. He had other things to do, so he showed us a corral where we could herd the ones in which we were interested. We selected about 15 that we wanted more information on, and as we passed them through the gate, we slid the hoop over them. It was immediately obvious if they very over 34". The hoop dangled. Most of them were over 34”!

Our second experience was with a person who also assured us his horses were under 34”. He told us he could put together a really good package for us with a couple of young bred mares and a stallion. After we looked at papers, etc. we went out to the barn to see the horses. As we went past the car, Rod pulled out the “buyer’s hoop”. The man wanted to know what it was; Rod responded that it was just a little measuring thing we were trying out. The man got very angry and shouted, “If you don’t trust me, I don’t want to deal with you.” Diplomat Rod kind of brushed it off with a joke and we went ahead to see (and measure) the horses. The two mares were 35” at age 3!

This simple hoop saved us thousands of dollars and no end of grief. At that time we didn’t need exact heights; all we needed to know was that they were under 34”

We now use a measuring hoop that has a ruler coming down from the center of the top similar to the wickets that have been pictured. It was made 15 years ago by Bill Monteith from Alberta. And it does work for the fat ones too!! Most horses aren’t as wide at the measuring spot as they are a couple of inches back! For the ones that aren’t as trusting of something being stuck over their back, one of us stands on either side of them against their neck so they can’t see the hoop being raised over their back. We have been able to measure all 70+ of our horses with it.

You see folks, this is the sort of tool we need to have at the shows being used by the stewards. Make on 28, 30,32,34, 36, 38 . use the same one for AMHA as AMHR . Someone told me at R nationals that the AMHA stick measures smaller than the AMHR stick and meant that it was more "generous" in the measurement. You cant fudge a wicket. You CAN slightly adjust the sticks that we are currently using even by tipping them slightly. Seems to me that the wickets would be fool proof.

Lyn

I would love to have a wicket to measure with. Takes all the guess work out of it. I have only seen one used once, when we picked up a couple of small geldings in Alberta. I thought then and still so that it was a terrific way to measure. Quick and seems more accurate.

Anyone have a picture of what you are talking about? I just have a miniature horse measure stick with the level bubble on the arm that goes over the horse. I liked the one that they used to measure at the Nor-Cal show that has the bubble on the top of the stick so it leveles a 360* area insted of like mine that levels side to side but doesn't level front to back.

Make your own here's how

http://ezwicket.homestead.com/index.html

Here's a picture of another one to make

newadultwicket.gif

Make on 28, 30,32,34, 36, 38

I suggested this a few months ago. That way the stick MUST touch the ground and be level to make the class.

I have had horses measured in using that type of stick before too, this year at the Area II show they were using a stick of this sort...i like it but if you have a horse that is not use to it it does take a while.

I have a few who do not like the regular stick and normally have to sneak the stick on them to measure. This way they have to bring it in from behind and over them and even my most calm horse spazzes when measured under that stick.

I think I am going to try to build one. I don't think my measurements are always right. I do try to measure both sides. Turn the horse around and measure again. Then I turn to the side and...well, you get the point.

I have had horses measured at a show with one of these and it measured the same as it did at it's next show with a regular stick....

But I would have had a time getting a few of mine who are, um....a tad wired to say the least, under them as quick as it was with the stick.

Make on 28, 30,32,34, 36, 38 . use the same one for AMHA as AMHR .
If you are going to make one wicket for each division so to speak; where the measurement it not a "measurement" so to speak, it's a you're in or not.......you'll have to have more than what has been listed.

You'd have to have 10 of them.......28, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37,38 and for AMHA you'd have to add a 26 too.

As we have weanlings - 28 under, 28-30, 30-32

yearlings - 30 under, 30-32, 32-34, 34-36

two year olds - 31 under, 31-33, 33-35, 35-37

sr. horses - 28 under, 28-30, 30-32, 32-34, 34-36, 36-38

Erica, we would not need the 10 as you know that the weaners have to be such and such, so you use that wicket for the top height of that class. If they have room to spare or both feet are firmly on both sides of the horse then you know you are in the 28 and under or 28-30 etc. You just bring out the wicket for the top height for the class you think you are in. if you fit then youre in if you dont you go to the next one up and so forth. They can also be made with the bar to go up the slide in incriments but the legs stay on the ground on BOTH sides flat.. It would require that we train our wired horses to get use to it. We try to train them to the sticks now. I have one that absolutely hates it no matter what you do or what side you come from , she is convinced that she will be eaten by it. I really do think it will leave less room for , shall we say, error.

Lyn

.. It would require that we train our wired horses to get use to it. We try to train them to the sticks now. I have one that absolutely hates it no matter what you do or what side you come from , she is convinced that she will be eaten by it. I really do think it will leave less room for , shall we say, error.Lyn
Problem with that is, i can stand my horses here at home and measure them all day long. In the barn isle...out on the blacktop...out in the pasture...out in the roundpen and have someone hold them or me hold them and someone else measure them and they stand perfect. Now, im speaking for my horses temperment here...but they are much differnent horses when they get to a show ground and have someone else measuring them in a different enviroment. My horses would fit in the "tad wired" catigory too .. :

Well here's mine had it a good 20 years and works just as well now as back when they were used at the shows. The hoop itself is exactly 34 tall at the top no matter on what you measure it then there is a slit in the middle to put a ruler through with a screw to hold the measurement in place while you take it of the horse. My ruler in the middle is only for 18 to 35" minis and l would never part with it easy to haul around and horses have never minded as it's wide and very light..l think it must be the same as Meadowwinds as the same person was making them at that time for the shows up here.
default_biggrin.png

hoop004.jpg

Bud Stephenson has been an ASPC/AMHR steward for a long time and has a wicket style measuring stick (LaVern - he's the one measured at the Area VI National Show in 06 in Winona!). From what he told me they were the official stick prior to the one currently being used so his is grandfathered in. I personally liked it and he had no problem measuring my spaz with it.

Lyn

the one (wicket) I saw and was measured with was at a show and they just had 1 for the minis.......it was able to slide up and down. It measured by 29" yearling as well as my 37" two year old, same stick.

I just didn't get the concept I guess of the post that said we need one for 28,30,32,34,36,38???

I mean if we are going to make it a sort of "class" wicket - either you are in this class or that class, then you need the 31,33,35,37

In my mind I think you would only need 1......but then that's just me.

The show I was at had one that went up to 38, then they had one that went up to 48 or something for the ASPR/ASPC...

I guess I just do not understand why any one would think that the wicket would be something better to measure with? It still all boils down to where the steward puts it on the horse, at the end of the mane hair, end of happy trail, top of the withers--and yes I have had a steward try to measure my horse there too. How the horse is standing, legs together, too far apart, or square. Head up or head down. One foot up, tongue stuck out
default_laugh.png
default_rolleyes.gif

Sorry, but my question is, how will a wicket make it that much different?

Terri, I think it would work better because the 40 inch horses wont fit no matter where they put it because it will only go to 38 and the legs both have to be flat on the ground. I know there were horses at nationals in the ring that would NOT have fit. They would still have to measure everyone at a designated last mane hair, or withers where ever they decided.

Lyn

Oh, man, It just sounds so simple. Heather, do you still have that hoop thing and could I get a pictue of it. Yeah, Lewella I remember that was a cool deal. Do you suppose he would make them again? Mary Ann wanted to check her horse, just for fun and the measurement came on the same as she had measured before,but we also had to top steward in the country there, if I remember right.

But it would be so much easier. And so handy. We gotta get someone to make something affordable, like this. Not just for shows, but for breeders and customers. I could say. "I'll catch them you measure them."

And Wicket isn't it such a neat word. He's Wicket By George. Oh I love it.

yep i saw a class at nationals that i'm pretty sure most of the PONIES (and i'm saying that because they were most definatly ponies..no longer minis) in it were 40"+ most likely. These weren't just oversized horses in the class but horses that were WINNNING.....Kinda sucks that our champions are 40+" and everyone know's it doesn't it now?

With a wicket it would be a whole lot harder to just angle the stick to make it come in shorter like many people do now. the wicket would just dangle on both sides of a tall pony if it was way too tall.

Back