Why hot-branding is a bad idea.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teh_hoof

Reaction score
This is why hot-branding isn't a good idea. Especially when you're standing behind the horse:

Oh wow that is horrible. I definately let out a gasp when I saw that. I wonder if he lived? :new_shocked:

Horses-1, stupid people-0. I have an old gelding that came to me with a brand on his hip.....once he shed out the "scar" on his face ended up being the same brand. It was a big 26.....seriously the numbers were 4 inches high! Needless to say while he was a great trail horse I always dealt with trust issues and he hated everything "man-made". My shoer was very sweet.....the first time he lit up the forge to hot shoe Little Joe and Joe ended up in the next county(okay, an exageration but he did drag me clear across the yard and out the gate) he decided hot shoeing was not for Joe and for the next 10 years cold shoed him for me. Now Joe is 34 and a pasture pet. I still can't imagine anyone branding a face like that.....can you imagine a hot brand coming that close to your eye?? And how painful it must have been......I have no sympathy for the guy that got kicked......think I'll go show this video to Joe!

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you know how much it hurts when you just even slightly burn a fingertip on a hot over door. I can't imagine the pain that horse felt. If we did that to a human we'd be in prison...how come it's okay to do it to an animal....oh, please don't get me started on rodeo abuse...better NOT go do a "rodeo abuse" or "horse kill pen abuse" search on that site.

Sweet loving Horsey = 1. Inhumane and now very sore torture assistant = 0.

Oh my bad :eek:
default_wink.png
:

I have a big horse pinto mare that has a brand on her cheek, on the flat spot under the eye, I can't even imagine how bad that must have hurt. :new_shocked:

yeah there is a horse at my barn that has a really sloppy brand on his butt. THREE of them! its like this weird little airplane lookin thing, the same brand right next to it a few inches away, like whoever did it kinda missed and dragged it along him.
default_sad.png
ick. and then the third is closer to his hip, its like a Z. he also has scars on his back fetlocks. he came from some ranch in mexico, but is in a loving home now! he definately has some trust issues though. :no:

My old gelding I used to own had a big brand right on his shoulder. I used to 'kiss it better' all the time. It's inhumane. :no: :no: :no:

That guy deserved everything he got, plus more!

Latest posts

Back