Why every mare for sale is bred?!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think that most people, I myself included, prefer to buy bred mares simply because you can get a better price on two horses that way, especially if the foal is of breeding quality. For example, if you had a filly, in a couple of years could bred the filly to your stallion, rather than having to sell her simply because your only stallion is her sire (assuming you bought the mare open). That's how we got our program started by buying reliable BRED Broodmares.

The only way that I would disagree with people selling bred mares is if they don't have the room or means to take care of a bred mare or another foal. I also would never bred a mare under 3 or that I wanted to be in the show ring. I think there are plenty of Open and bred mares out there, you just have to look...I've seen several show stoppers on the saleboard! I also sell most of my mares as bred...which buyers appreciate as they can get a better deal and I don't have to worry about the mare not having enough companions...and what could be better than being able to be with your baby forever. HOWEVER, IT IS IMPORTANT TO NOTE that I never sell my minis by themselves. Meaning, all of my customers have bought more than one horse or already have some minis. I NEVER send a BRED Mare by herself. I never have a problem finding homes for my horses...I've had to tell several people this year that we don't have any minis 4 sale as I sold all of the horses that I needed to. Many people have been disappointed when I told them none of my remaining weanlings were 4 sale. Anyways, my point is a can afford to bred back all of my mares and advertise some 4 sale. I don't like parting with my horses unless I have to anyways.

I also think people are very cautious about buying open mares without having a vet examination simply because they know nothing about the history of the horse, I can't blame them. I wouldn't buy a colt over the internet either without having a vet check him out either.

I think that most people, I myself included, prefer to buy bred mares simply because you can get a better price on two horses that way, especially if the foal is of breeding quality. For example, if you had a filly, in a couple of years could bred the filly to your stallion
No offense YHFF--I understand what you are saying, and know I am taking this quote out of context. But when you look at this reasoning, that the best reason to get a bred mare is to have more mares to breed, and that it's stressed that the foal is breeding and not SHOW quality is exactly what I'm talking about with the "BREED them BREED them BREED them" mentality.

As others have pointed out, in the larger breeds performance geldings and mares are the most valuable horses. If you look at the full-size sales boards, a competitive ready-to-go show horse averages a 0 or two more than most of the breeding stock. I live in QH country, but I used to show an Arab in 4H (and later class A); we had him appraised when I was thinking of retiring him, and I could have bought a pasture full of nice broodmares for what it would have cost to replace him.

Edit: This paragraph is totally off-topic!

We need to stop expecting novelty to carry our breed. They're no longer rare, and their population seems to be growing almost as fast as ours is. I worry that so many people breeding for so many babies, assuming they'll sell because they're "cute", is going to lead to a situation similar to our humane societies'. When the babies grow up and their new owners (who picked them up for $300 in the local paper) realize what it costs to feed, farrier, and vaccinate them, where are they going to go? Look at CMHR and how their numbers are increasing every year.

All right...I got kind of carried away, but prices are really bad in our area (in most it seems), and most of the minis that have died here have died of old age. They're family to me, and I hate to see so many others suffering.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gee, something must be wrong with mine LOL. I have 17 mares of breedable age - if I'm remembering everyone - and only 5 bred for next year. Most of them have been bred off and on, many we bought in foal, and a number of them are for sale. I so agree with the "baby machine" mentality, gets back to the issue discussed in another thread about encouraging an interest in performance rather than reproduction.

I have had lots of horse friends over the years - with full sized horses - and most have one horse, maybe 2-3 and maybe raise a foal or so. Nearly all of us have many many more than that I imagine, myself included. It's certainly easier to take care of a pastureful of minis, and fun to boot - and there are, and should be, big breeders in every breed with the means to promote and improve it. It just may well be detrimental to the industry if we all try to do it.

Jan

I have only once bought a bred mare and my thinking now is I prefer to buy a mare that is not bred so that I can use one of my stallions. If I bought a bred mare again the stallion would way heavily whether I bought the mare or not.

Well I think the reason can be found in many threads currently active on the fourm now - no matter what we like to think this breed at this point is purely a breed being bred to be bred

Most feel like hey why not.. see what they produce, breed them and sell them in foal or as a 3 in one package not cause the first foal was spectacular but so they can get more money or so that buyers feel they are getting a deal

I am not saying I am above any of this .. I had no foals last year and we have 6 breeding age mares and bred 3 this year I dont know if they settled or not- the year before we had 3 foals.

However that said the longer I am in this breed the less inclined I am to breed. I am able to be honest wiht myself and say yes I have had some nice foals who have been holding there own , some "pet" quality foals but the reality is I have not had any foals so spectacular the breed stopped in its tracks to take notice and thank me.

I am not sure where I will end up going with my herd but I do know this, my herd isnt perfect, my horses have faults, I will never ever have enough ego to say all my foals are top of the line, I dont use show records to defend my breeding,It takes more then a show record or a pretty color - I realize in trying to get that one special horse I am part of the problem I realize that even after 10 + years I dont have the knowledge and ability some of the top consistent breeders do and I realize sometimes it really takes alot of luck added to that knowledge.

It is something I have been thinking alot about for a while now I dont know the answer for me so how can I know the answer for the breed but as long as we are thinking about it(as a breed) that is something and a start in the right direction.

I'm one of those who does NOT breed every mare, every year. In past several years I have bred 0-2, out of a herd of 30 broodmares. I own some who are 7-8 year old maidens, just because I haven't decided to breed them "yet". Having bred other maidens of this age with NO problems and great foals produced, I anticipate no problems if I ever breed them. Have several mares in late teens, all fine and breedable. A couple were actually bred last year and will foal "soon". :bgrin Yeah, late foals -- another "no, no" -- but, I have no problem selling any I want to sell and am fully prepared to keep every single foal, no issues with selling or not. Have turned down offers on a few unbred, older maidens this year. They just are not for sale. Look good, great bloodlines and open....staying right here.
default_yes.gif
: Some will be bred in the Spring.

Guess I definately march to my own drummer and do not worry about it. For me, an open mare is not an unwanted commodity because I understand that not all need to be bred! You know, I have owned 4 full sized mares in my lifetime and NEVER bred one. Oh, I wanted to but, didn't....no acceptable stallion.

I can, however, appreciate that when buying, the bred mare is a good bargain because of either having another to keep or one to sell and offset the purchase price. We can use this method to intro new bloodlines into our breeding programs as well as help establish a herd. Naturally, this is assuming that all are of good breeding quality. And it was not uncommon to find breeders who have put open mares on the sale block whom they were not able to get in foal -- sometimes issues and sometimes not. For ME, a vet inspection is considered for anyone who's farm and animals I am not familiar with. It is not an implication of "wrongdoing" to go this route and I have done so -- and I have had some of mine checked by buyers, no problem. But, if a breeder does have a mare with foaling issues/conceiving issues, IMO they absolutely need to disclose this and why they know this, etc. It's an honesty concern.

For me, I can buy either way, open or bred.......but, like most of you, I dislike the implication by a buyer that "something is wrong". If they say they will only buy a bred mare, then I normally offer to breed her. That's an option if you have your own stallions. Have even bought mares open, with ability to take her back for a breeding to one of their stallions. If the cross would be good, I'd consider it.

I have not bought a few mares because I did not like the stallion to whom they were bred. That is more of a consideration for me than whether or not she is open. If I feel the cross is not good and other of the stallions foals are not to my liking, I might well not buy the mare -- unless she is soooo exceptional that I can consider the foal a "give away". Most of those mare types are not bred to inferior stallions.

I think our largest concern is "WHY can't you leave a mare open and not be chastised?"
default_wub.png
:

Last edited by a moderator:
Rock River--I'm simply suggesting that to get started creating a herd, the economical way to go is reliable bred mares of good bloodlines, conformation , & history! I myself personal have 8 mares right now, maybe 2 of them are bred...I just let nature take it's course...if a mare doesn't catch it's not a big deal to me...My mares are all broke to drive so I prefer that they don't all get bred :bgrin ...plus my show mares are never bred. I don't just use my horses for breeding, if that''s what you think you definately hav the WRONG impression :new_shocked: . Also if a horse isn't show quality on my farm it isn't bred :aktion033: ! However, I have to admit that half the fun of having minis is awaiting for that precious newborn foal, I only have 1-2 each year and I don't see anything wrong with that.

Back