"WHY?????" Don't People Feed their Horses???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
People just make me SICK! While its horrible to see a large horse thin, there is NO excuse for a mini to be, they survive on very little. Stupid people, stupid stupid people! Glad she is happy and sassy now!
aktion033.gif

I'd like to just slap the crap out of these people. I know I am supposed to be working on being a better person but this kind of stuff just drives me crazy. Outrageous! How dare they!
Hey Marty, I'll hold em down for ya
yes.gif

I am sure that many of us can think of a situation where well intentioned people got in over their heads for one reason or another. In some cases we can probably remember several. Last year I saw a group of horses the were ultimately just loaded on trucks and hauled to an auction where most of them went for meat. The owners started with horses for the kids. Then a stallion entered the picture and there was a group of foals, and over a period of about six or seven years there is a sizable herd of horses, the kids have grown up and left or lost interest. Then something happens where there is little or no hay, somebody has a decline in health and there is nobody to take over and then pasture is chewed down and horses go downhill fast when they get hungry. This is a story that gets repeated more than it should. The details change a bit here and there but the outcome is always the same, a bunch of horses end up paying the price for some persons neglect either out of lack of ability or lack of caring.

Marty said:
I'd like to just slap the crap out of these people. I know I am supposed to be working on being a better person but this kind of stuff just drives me crazy. Outrageous! How dare they!

WOW! YOU SAID JUST WHAT I WAS THINKING! Some people are so ignorant that they think horses have no feelings, they are just dumb animals. Afterall, if you leave your car in the garage for a week, you don't have to put gas in it. Why would horse standing in a dry lot for a week need anything?

I got new neighbors who tied their german shephard to a tree near my house. I called the authorities several times because they never fed him or gave him water. He had inadequate shelter from the heat and flies of the summer and from the cold and ice in the winter. Nothing was ever done to correct the situation. I was gone to a show one weekend and when I got home late on a Sunday I noticed the dog was just lying there. When I called to him he just wagged his tail a little. I ran over and he was covered with flies. He was too weak to stand. He had NO water. His tub was bone dry. I took water over but he was too weak to drink. I called the Sheriff who sent out a deputy who called the animal warden, who confiscated the poor guy on the spot and took him to an emergency hospital. It was too late. He died.

I've never gotten over that. I should have done more.

I'm glad you got your girl back. Give her a big hug and kiss for me.

Laura

I wish I hadn't read this and looked at the picture
no.gif
I just makes me sick.

Hopefully there will be happy ending and you can get her back to health.

Pepipony said:
People just make me SICK!    While its horrible to see a large horse thin, there is NO excuse for a mini to be, they survive on very little.  Stupid people, stupid stupid people!       

I couldn't agree more.

I guess those who have said "they get fat on air" (myself included) will have to watch what company we say it in front of. Good horse people, know it means they need good feed for good upkeep, but go easy or they get fat.

Aarrgghhhh... I'm glad she is getting cared for right now, but just looking at the pictures put's me on a SOAP BOX.. so let me apologize in advance for my preachy attitude here... Darn, people that don't care for their animals MAKE ME CRAZY...

Here's my latest beef.... A woman up the street from us has two horses, and lives alone, works full time plus. She needed a farrier, so I hooked her up with ours... who does Olympic team hooves and show barns etc... I had to call him about 50 times to get him to finally come and see our little crew. Anyway, this woman starts making jokes about "all hooves are smelly".. when it was obvious there was thrush... So I offer to do her horses hooves, while she is out of town for a week, and she gets annoyed because my pants got ripped on her barbed wire, and I'd rather have her horses on one of our properties, (with decent fences).. And of course, her horses are scarred up because of bad fences and barbed wire all over the place. And heck, I supplied her with bute, three times when her horse was walking funny... (he's a senior ).

So.. here's the good part... I told her, I didn't want to ride with her, in a new area of town, because of fear of my youngish mare spooking due to new smells, and other animal in the area...

She said to me "What are you concerned about??? Your horses are TOO UGLY for any animal to be interested in... even the little ones!"

Well, sorry about going O.T... but there is JUST NO EXCUSE for anyone not to take care of their horses!

Grrr.....

Thanks for letting me vent..

God Bless,

Lynn W

I thought that everyone might like to see that Frosty is doing better. She is a very sweet mare with huge eyes of a very unusual color, almost grey.(You can see a close up of her eyes on my website-just click on mares) We are so glad she joined our family. She will never go without food, water and love again!!

th_Frosty.jpg

http://acegroup.cc/~judd

no.gif
I can't believe you even had to buy her back! They should have given her back to you when they realized they didn't want her? Grrr..thanks God for you and what a good Thanksgiving for that little girl! God Bless you!

Frosty has come so far, she's a lucky girl to have found you.
smile.gif

Frosty is in good hands now.....that's the important part.

MA

I feel so bad she looks like such a sweet horse ..i think the people that starved her should be starved that is horrible ...If they cant take care of them dont buy them and make them suffer..

I am glad this sweet angel is back home and will be well taken care of ..It'll be a long road but she get the sparkle back in her eye ,she is back where she will be loved and appreciated....I hope these people dont have any other animals .

That is one of my worst fears when I sell a horse. That they'll be mistreated. I'm so glad you've got Frosty back. She looks like a sweetheart and certainly did not deserve what happened to her. My neighbors take marginal to poor care of their animals.....unfortunately just this side of being able to get the Humane service involved. Thank God they have finally gelded their stallion and aren't going to breed anymore. I'm sick of seeing wormy, thin, babies that end up at the auction going for kill prices. Bless you for buying Frosty back!

Oh Donna, bless your sweet heart for buying her back in such deplorable conditions ( or any animal for that matter ). But like so many have said - you have her back now, god bless you! Lori

Last edited by a moderator:
OOH! I get so mad, I want to hurt those people!!!! My animals eat and get medical care before I do. Many people do not see not feeding an animal as an abuse. Some people think only hitting them is abusive. Starvation is more than benign neglect. It is criminal. I want to lock them up and not feed them for weeks at a time. This all makes me crazy!!!!!!!!!!

It's deplorable when someone doesn't feed their animals. The flip side to that is when they overfeed and don't realize that minis are more than just pets! You can't just turn them out on pasture and never look at them.

When we bought our first mini, he was 16 yr old and a lawn ornament. The woman was a "friend" of the breeder and the breeder told me he was way overweight. It turns out that that wasn't all that was wrong. He looked clean and groomed but after we had him at home we found pinworms, lice (found while clipping that long coat -and it was summer), a missing tooth (all I thought to look for was a straight bite!), and a bean in his sheath so large the vet had to break it to get it out! After all that and losing at least 50 pounds, he looked and seemed much happier and is a very good driving and obstacle horse.

If we had known all that was wrong or had sense to look for it, we'd probably have missed a good horse.

god i hate when people take a notion to buy a "pet" and havent got a clue how to mantain it.in a yard were i used to be,there were two young girls whose parents bought them 2 ponies for pets to keep them occupide over the summer, one was a cob by the end of the month the two ponies ribs were starting to show, they used to take them out hammer the heck out of them racing them up and down the field then just put them back into there stables soaking, i used to wait until theyd gone and take them back out and hose down there legs and walk them cool, oneday i got sooo fed upi called the cruelty, when they came out they said there was NOTHING WRONG WITH THEM ! they had no experience with horses at all. i left the next thing i heard was that the parents sold them to a dealer for meat money as the kids were going back to school. I just felt sick, if id have known id have bought them and surrenderd them to the protection. the worlds a great place, its the people in it thats makes it evil....
no.gif

Latest posts

Back