Why do Mini's manes and tails grow faster than a big horse ?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minimom1

Reaction score
Is it just me or has anyone noticed the growth difference between a big horse and a

mini as far as the rate that their mane and tail grow ?

Does anyone know why ?

When I got my mini at 6 months old, my BO who only knows big horses laughed at

me when I told him she was a baby because her mane and tail were so long. He thought

they lied to me about her age. He was comparing her to our 6 month old QH's whose tails were not even to their hocks and their manes were only 6 to 8" long.

I don't have an answer but I trimmed both my mini and big horses bridle paths on the same day and the mini's grew twice as fast.
default_new_shocked.gif

Quick question on this subject....is it customary to bang the tail of the show horse, or may you grow them out long and full? Sorry that question is a touch OT, but I'd sure be interested to know.

Quick question on this subject....is it customary to bang the tail of the show horse, or may you grow them out long and full? Sorry that question is a touch OT, but I'd sure be interested to know.

Sorry I can't help you with that one as I have only ever shown Quarter Horses.

Hopefully one of the people on here that show mini's will tell you.

We don't typically bang the tail. We let them grow out, even wrap them to get them longer.

Having seen a lot of minis, a lot of horses, and a lot of draft horses... I have to say that no "type" of horse's hair grows "faster" than any other type of horse.

Many miniature horses (and draft horses) have much wider bases of manes/tails and thus it grows thicker. Thicker hair always has the appearance of growing faster. If their hair grew faster, then their hooves (basically made of hair) would grow faster and you would find you'd have to trim them more frequently. AND if you find you need to trim their hooves more frequently, remember they are not bearing as much weight on those little hooves and thus not wearing them as much.

As to the question about what to do with the bottom of the tail... I would "bang" some of them at fetlock level, particularly if they had super thick tails. Horses without super thick tails, I would usually trim so that it had a natural look to it.

Generally today's "look" in the ring is not to have tails dragging on the ground.

Andrea

I think it depends on the area and what you are showing in. I wouldn't want a performance horse stepping on it's tail while backing or anything. Around here I don't see minis with a foot of tail on the ground, but then again most people show in at least one performance class. I usualy cut the tail at the fetlock in the late spring so by the first show they are just barely not touching the ground but look natural. That being said you really have to know how your horses tails grow so you can judge how early and how much you need to cut.

I have dealt with a large number of breeds over the years but I find ones with the pony genetics...do tend to have thicker and faster growing manes and tails, than say Arabs, TB's and so on.

I also "hob" my horse's tails at the fetlock length, so they don't step on it or drag it in the mud.

Yes, I too think a lot of it depends upon the breed. I know my Morgans would probably have kept up with any minis I know.

Then too, I have had a few minis with manes and tails that just don't seem to grow at all. Coincedence that they have appy in them?? That is a trait in some lines of Appaloosas, Thoroughbreds and Quarterhorses as well.

I always thought that the mane and tail appeared to grow faster than large breeds because the minis are so small. probably grows at the same rate just more noticable in the smaller animal

I don't think their hair really grows any faster than a full size horse, but think how much closer to the ground 2" on a mini brings a tail than 2" on a biggie... That's why I think it may seem the hair grows faster. It doesn't, but 2" is proportionally more on a mini than on a biggie.

Latest posts

Back