Whose breeding program

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miniwhinny

Reaction score
If you could pick just one breeder/farm who in your eyes has a herd to die for and produces the same who would it be? Someone who even when they post pics makes you go back over and over to catch another glimpse....Remeber you have to pick just ONE ( cus I drool over quite a few ) But...

Hands down for me it's Dona at Kickapoo. I could watch just her avatar all day *grin* :aktion033: :aktion033: :new_shocked: There's other programs I love but to me everything she produces is (I want to burst out in song here)...Simply the best !

As if anyone doesn't know my first answer :bgrin :bgrin :bgrin I admired her horses for years before getting "one" (on up to lots) of my own.

In addition to the obvious answer (ERICA!), there are many breeders who each year consistantly have foals that will catch my attention (Little Kings, Dona, Tibbs, Triple K, Kendra, Nootka, Mountain Meadows / Stacy...). And, the "type" of the horses in this mix is pretty diverse but all very nice each year.

Sorry, I couldn't pick just one especially as my favorite isn't a secret
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
As if anyone doesn't know my first answer :bgrin :bgrin :bgrin I admired her horses for years before getting "one" (on up to lots) of my own.

Sorry, I couldn't pick just one especially as my favorite isn't a secret
default_smile.png
HAHAHAHHA ...well as you now have more of ERICA'S horses at your place than ERICA has at hers...I wonder ?????????? HAHAHAHHAHAHAHA

I love Erica's breeding program, i think because she does allot with the rowdy/buckeroo cross and that is top of my list!

I'm also a fan of Getitias, Doc Taylors, Alpha Farms (i tried so long to get an alpha farm horse, i can finially call one mine!), Mike McCabes, Little Kings, ERL ranch, i think JSW is very outstanding as well.

I almost have to get out an issue of The Journal to go threw all my faverites! Those are just a few, all for different reasons.
default_smile.png

I have to add Snowberry Farms to my list, i soooo admire there horses AND breeding program!

Oh wait, we can only pick JUST ONE! Well then i think i went a little bit over lol. Out of all those, i think i would personally pick Erica's (does Jesse come with that????)
default_wub.png
: :bgrin
default_wink.png
:

No, I don't but that would pretty much be a dream come true. When I got more "serious" about minis, rather than trying to reinvent the wheel, I just decided to go with what I'd admired so long... :bgrin :bgrin :bgrin

BUT, like I said, each year, I know that the people I listed (and others that aren't at the top of my frazzled mind right now) have foals I'd be proud to call my own.

ALSO, I look forward to seeing the foals coming now and years from now from our members as they shape and refine what they admire in miniature horses.

What I have learned from my mentors is that the key to a good breeding program is realizing that not all your horses are amazing no matter who the parents are. The truly good breeders are able to be honest with there herd and have no shame in it. TO me that alone is a rarity.

That said there are a couple of programs that are very consistent to the point of you see a horse and can almost tell who the horse came from.

I love the Limestone horses, Taylors horses are the two that are at the top of my list

OK, I have to pick 2....lol! There are more, but 2 popped into my head right away....

Erica's and Getitia's... :worshippy:

Ericas;SMHC;Mountain Meadows;Tibbs;Little King;Seahorse Farm(Just Found them the heads on their horses are jaw -dropping..
default_wub.png
: )

I would have to say getitia and laura (ten L) I so admire what both of these women have done and you can almost always pick out a horse they have bred because they have their look stamped on them. That only comes with years of dedication.

While I dont want to copy what they have both done I feel my herd is miles ahead and going where I want because of having their horses in my herd. I really think you have to come up with your own crosses and breedings and make your own stamp on what you breed.

There is no way I can pick just one! But the ones that come to mind initially are (in no particular order) WF, ERL, Ten L, and Ericas. :aktion033:

Well, for the consistency in minis AND shetlands (and then of Classic AND Modern!) in general you just can't beat Taylor Pony Farm (the "Michigan's" named horses). They have top quality of just about everything. That comes from a LONG history of having good stock and knowing what you have that crosses the best with something else.

Andrea

Just to clear up what I meant by my earlier statement about going with what I admire -- while we all know I greatly admire Erica's program (and really, WHO wouldnt?), my mares have come from many different farms. But, since I admire Erica's taste in horses / my taste is similar to hers, I do ask myself prior to purchase if this or that looks GOOD enough to be one of hers.

As Lisa says, you can't just go by who the parents are. I agree very much. She's also pointed out in the past that you can't just go by good show records either, and I again agree. Still, it's nice to have those things in your horses and like a lot of us, I am proud of who's their daddy and of their individual show wins.

default_yes.gif
:
default_wub.png
:
default_yes.gif
:

There are SO many breeding programs that produce

outstanding animals. Limestone, Reece's, Little King....

If I can only pick one.... First Knight ANYTHING!

I really LOVE what she is producing.

~Sandy

I could name several also, but if I had to choose just one that most nearly mimics what I would love to be able to do myself, it has to be Tony Greaves of Little America! He has consistently produced minis with wonderful conformation in gorgeous colors that are also tiny and that have gotten better and better for about 50 years or so!!

To me, to do that as well as he has, with the tiny ones is a real feat! :))

I definitely drool over his foals and some of his adults too each year.

Susan O.

Mountain Meadows Miniatures. Stacy has produced champion after champion, from a pretty small herd. When Stacy talks, I listen! She also has a focus on performance horses, which is what I am all about.

I'm going to ditto Limestone. Their Nighthawk horses definitely have a "look" to them. I love that their horses are refined but at the same time have definite substance.

Having said that, I think in addition to Janet's good taste, some credit is owed to Cross Country and the enduring quality of the Redboy line.

And First Knight is another I admire. Their horses have been consistantly beautiful and competitive for over 20 years. Billy Idol is my dream horse and a true accomplishment for those of us that have a special appreciation for the smaller minis.

For us it has to be Mountain Meadows. Every year dad and I check out her site for future combinations from our favorite mares at Stacy's. I have my own little wish list and dad has his.

I just really like Stacy's consistency and style of horse. There is definitely a Mountain Meadows stamp on her horses that is hard to miss. I enjoy learning from her and feel that the quality of horses we are getting from Stacy is top notch!

If you could pick just one breeder/farm who in your eyes has a herd to die for and produces the same who would it be? Someone who even when they post pics makes you go back over and over to catch another glimpse....Remeber you have to pick just ONE ( cus I drool over quite a few ) But...

Hands down for me it's Dona at Kickapoo. I could watch just her avatar all day *grin* :aktion033: :aktion033: :new_shocked: There's other programs I love but to me everything she produces is (I want to burst out in song here)...Simply the best !
How VERY kind of you!
default_wub.png
: I only have a small herd...but am very specific on what I like, and try to breed only what I like to see in my own pasture. It's so nice to hear feedback from others who can affirm that they also like what I'm breeding.
default_yes.gif
:

I, personally, have always loved Janet's program (Limestone), and Erica & Getitia really have it goin' on too.
default_yes.gif
: I also am a fan of Ann Simmon's program (Seahorse). I have always been a "head person"...and she has some of the best! I am very proud to be one of the first people she contacted when she was "thinking" about getting into Miniatures. She wanted 3 of my mares, but someone else bought them before she was ready to purchase. If hindsight were 20/20 & I knew then what I know now....I wish I had held them back, & sold them to Ann, instead. :eek:

Latest posts

Back