Who's making his own blankets & Hoods?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really like the hoods from Supreme Equine Design (SED).

If you cannot find someone making their own, you might check with SED.

Peggy

I am getting the pattern from Suitability for hoods and blankets. I am going to make my hoods from polarflease (sp?). I won't put lycra on my horses ever again. I should get the patterns the end of this month and start on them then. I finally found the trim for around the eyes and the edges. The problem is the only color I can find is black. So, all my blankets and hoods have to go along with the black.

make sure you adjust your patter larger if your making polar fleece..lol I made some by the "size" guide..lol they were a little on the small/snug side..LOL

I have the Suitability pattern for Mini blankets and sheets and they work GREAT! All my horses have polarfleece sheets/blankets for after baths and workouts and they were really easy patterns to follow. You do have to adjust the patterns a little for each horse for a custom fit, but if you are looking to make your own, their patterns are easy to follow. I just ordered the bridle bag pattern they offer so I can make new halter bags in our barn colors for this year. If I have time, I'll see if I can get some pictures of the polarfleece sheets I made on my horses from Suitability so you can see how they turn out.

~Jen~

Suitability Website The website also lists sources for the specialty materials used in horse clothing construction.

Katiean, just curious...why won't you put Lycra on your horses? I have the Suitability pattern and was going to make some hoods and blankets for my horses when I clip them next month. I've never used Lycra hoods but that's all I see.

Photos would be great! I've got to dust off my sewing machine. (Has anyone made the show jackets from Suitability? I have that pattern also and was going to be rather bold and make a cool show jacket for myself.
default_rolleyes.gif
)

I have the Suitability pattern for Mini blankets and sheets and they work GREAT! All my horses have polarfleece sheets/blankets for after baths and workouts and they were really easy patterns to follow. You do have to adjust the patterns a little for each horse for a custom fit, but if you are looking to make your own, their patterns are easy to follow. I just ordered the bridle bag pattern they offer so I can make new halter bags in our barn colors for this year. If I have time, I'll see if I can get some pictures of the polarfleece sheets I made on my horses from Suitability so you can see how they turn out.~Jen~
Are you happy with their patterns??

Are they easy to make?

Thank's guys for your information
default_rolleyes.gif

This is a picture of my very unhappy little one Callie.

This is a new pattern that we are trying. My soon to be mother in law is trying to find a pattern that will work for Sam. It has to fit him perfectly or he destroys them. But its so hard to get a nice pattern fit on a scruffy mini.

Please forgive the mud on her. (Building drainage in the mud is not fun) And the fuzzy pictures she wouldnt hold still.

CallieInClothes018.jpg

CallieInClothes019.jpg

I REALLY want to clip her. But we are suppose to get snow in the next 24-48 hours so clipping is strictly forbidden.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a picture of my very unhappy little one Callie.
This is a new pattern that we are trying. My soon to be mother in law is trying to find a pattern that will work for Sam. It has to fit him perfectly or he destroys them. But its so hard to get a nice pattern fit on a scruffy mini.

Please forgive the mud on her. (Building drainage in the mud is not fun) And the fuzzy pictures she wouldnt hold still.

CallieInClothes018.jpg

CallieInClothes019.jpg

I REALLY want to clip her. But we are suppose to get snow in the next 24-48 hours so clipping is strictly forbidden.

Well that looks a great hood!!!!

The color's fits perfect with the horse!!!

With her little fuzzy ears... sooo cute!

I bought quite a bit of lycra a few years ago to attempt to make some hoods when I was still showing big horses, and honestly, I have NO sewing skill. My mother can sew a little (she can do basics like hemming pants and what not, but no seamstress by any means) but she was worried about what stich to use so that the thread didnt rip when the hood stretched. Well, since then I have been told to use the zigzag stitch. My next worry is how to make the eye and ear holes so that there are no exposed edges rubbing the horse.

If I could make even a pull on hood that would be great, and maybe in time be able to make the zip up ones with a center yoke between the legs (my favorite)

I may just suck it up, because I'm pretty sure I bought around 20 yards of lycra, different funky prints, but I figured they would work just fine, horses dont care if their hood is purple zebra print, and Midas likes to shred hoods anyway I don't know how Domingo will be with his jammies, and I'd prefer to shop in the bargain bin with the cheap ugly patterns than spend $10 a yard for a pretty fabric that will get ruined anyway.

For what its worth, so far I have not been able to find a factory made hood I like for the minis. My favorite was a hood I got for $5 that someone on ebay handmade. Since then I lost her information, but it fit so good on my then awkward yearling, and had the center yoke so it didn't ride up.

I think I need to just suck it up and give it a try, but i'm quite scared about how it will turn out, lol.

Whats the best kind of thread to use?

Suitability Website The website also lists sources for the specialty materials used in horse clothing construction.
Katiean, just curious...why won't you put Lycra on your horses? I have the Suitability pattern and was going to make some hoods and blankets for my horses when I clip them next month. I've never used Lycra hoods but that's all I see.

Photos would be great! I've got to dust off my sewing machine. (Has anyone made the show jackets from Suitability? I have that pattern also and was going to be rather bold and make a cool show jacket for myself.
default_rolleyes.gif
)
I put a lycra hood on one of my mares and it almost put her eye out.

Most machines have a series of stretch stitches from which to choose, as well as the regular stitches.

Plus, with items like this, there is the consideration for use of a serger type machine -- that's what you see along the edges of seams to enclose and stop fraying, etc. As to the smoothness of the side next to the body, you simply put the seam folds to the outside.......areas like this are where the serger plays a huge role in the finished "look". And YES, make those eyeholes larger, but take care with the distance between them. And remember that some horses hate to wear these and will attempt to destory even the most professionally made units. They are normally successful at this
default_wacko.png

I'd suggest that you cut a few strips of the lycra and do some "test" stitching, to see how it looks and works. Remember that some lycra is 4 way stretch, others are not. This will make a difference in the final product as well as the cut and stitch on the fabric. With some items you must cut on the bias, others not.

So, for those thinking of sewing with such fabrics, there's more to it than just cutting and sewing
default_laugh.png
default_wub.png
If you have sewing experience with clothes, you'll probably be fine. Let's just say that the hoodies are not as forgiving as the "non-fitted" wash sheets and blanket liners we can make
default_laugh.png
default_laugh.png

Back