Who would win the fight?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JumpinJackFarm

Reaction score
Well we had a visitor yesterday morning. A Bobcat
default_no.gif
he walked right up our driveway... spotted our cat and was eyeing our cat .... our cat was eying him too and he looked as though he was going to pounce on the Bobcat
default_unsure.png
(he is a very aggressive Feral cat that I just recently won trust of)

We also have a racoon that comes and eats the feral cats food.... I kinda have the feeling that is why the Bobcat showed up because of the food chain that we might be creating...

Feral Cat...Cat Food...Racoon(s).... Bobcat

If? the Bobcat and Racoon come across each other ... who is more likely to win the fight?

I don't even think I"ll venture a guess, its not always the larger animal that wins...

Part that worries me is the Racoon eating out of the cats dish.....they can definately carry rabies and its a LONG story but, myself and many others (vet, my family etc) had to go through the entire rabies vaccination process and it definately was a pain in the rear and VERY VERY expensive...
default_sad.png

I don't even think I"ll venture a guess, its not always the larger animal that wins...

Part that worries me is the Racoon eating out of the cats dish.....they can definately carry rabies and its a LONG story but, myself and many others (vet, my family etc) had to go through the entire rabies vaccination process and it definately was a pain in the rear and VERY VERY expensive...
default_sad.png
Raccoons also carry canine distemper, and are horrible about killing chickens and ducks and have been known to kill cats over food.

That is a battle I would not want to see or hear.....yikes

The racoons here (Washington) are HUGE !!! Years ago one got trapped in a shed of mine and it was NASTY .... it snarled and growled like a Bear !!! (I'll try to get a picture of our visiting racoon)

To me it would be a toss up .... it might come down to who really is more hungry?

I am very aware of Racoons caring diseases but what am I to do?

I suppose I could put signs up around the property stating "do not enter if sick"

I have started locking the cat up in the barn at night ... so we have eliminated the cat food being out at night.

It is kinda strange but the cat and the racoon seem very cozy together .... remember the cat was wild once before ... they maybe? shared the same hole before
default_wink.png

[SIZE=14pt]I'm going to need a picture of that sign once it's posted...lol[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]It's funny how nasty racoons can be, but yet they are soooo darn cute with their little black fingers and bandit faces.
default_wub.png
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]That's scary about the bobcat!!!
default_new_shocked.gif
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]Shannon
default_smile.png
[/SIZE]

I know how big they are I live in WA
default_biggrin.png
and our bobcats are pretty small...hence the reason I would not want to witness that kind of fight.
default_wink.png

My sister has a rogue coon and he has now killed several of her chickens and one duck......and it isn't to eat them just for the fun of killing. When I was younger we had a coon family that visited and got along ok with our cat . I also know of other people who had no problems for a long time and then one day the coon killed the cat so it does happen.

My sister has been trying to trap the coon so he can be dealt with.

I wouldn't worry much about the bobcat it is probably looking for food and if it doesn't find any it will move on, they are actually very fun to watch and usually are so shy that you never see them. We had one come down and catch ducks on our pond one especially bad winter it was fun to watch him he was a beautiful cat. They weren't our ducks they were mallards who lived on our pond
default_wink.png

Bobcats are huge here... single racoon.. bobcat will win.. 4 or more racoons.. well,, depends on how hungary the racoons are.

I would say they would not fight at all..maybe some growling and get away from me stuff...but I don't think they'd fight...there is no advantage for either to fight.

Having a pet racoon for many years, they are very mean, very quick and can weigh well over 50 lbs (at least mine did and he was not fat). I don't know much about bobcats though..

I would keep food put up period!

Last edited by a moderator:
I talked to the hunters who live with me and they say the bobcat. Though if the coon had buddies he would stand a better chance. They dont think they would fight under normal circumstances unless someone is sick.

I would say they would not fight at all..maybe some growling and get away from me stuff...but I don't think they'd fight...there is no advantage for either to fight.

Having a pet racoon for many years, they are very mean, very quick and can weigh well over 50 lbs (at least mine did and he was not fat). I don't know much about bobcats though..

I wouldn't keep food put up period!
Bobcats range between 15 and 30 lbs and stand 14-15 inches tall. They aren't very big of "big cats" ...... the problem is up here they share range with lynx which look similar but are MUCH bigger
default_wink.png
I've seen plenty of 40-45 lb coons up here.

We do have HUGE racoons here ,,,,, they are not like Ellie Mae's on the "Beverly Hillbillies"
default_no.gif

This Bobcat was long legged and fairly tall and on the thin side ... absolutely gorgeous and perfect in everyway ... I sure wish I got a pic of it
default_yes.gif
sure had plenty of time to snap a great picture

but wouldn't you know it !!! Battery low and disk filled up :DOH!

He slowly walked away and into the brush while I was fiddling with the camera
default_sad.png

Latest posts

Back