Who makes the BEST vacuum cleaner

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I myself grew up with and like Electrolux. My mom's lasted for over 20 years and we always had pets in the house.

Hi there,

I'm sort of a geek when it comes to vacuum cleaners and do a lot of research.

It is sometimes hard to find this information, but you want to compare airflow in CFM or "air watts" (not motor amps!) which are scientific measurements of vacuum performance.

If you have carpeting and don't mind A) a vacuum that is heavy and B) attachments that are not on board, the newer G series Kirbys are great cleaners and will run circles around Dysons as demonstrated here:

http://www.greatvacs.com/KirbyDysonReview.shtml

Greatvacs has good information.

When you look at the numbers, Dysons really don't have that great of performance, only moving around 60 CFM of airflow. Plus you are getting plastic! Kirbys are up over 100 CFM and are aircraft quality aluminum.

The key with a Kirby is to buy used of course. They are way overpriced new. Get a newer G series model that has the tech drive that makes them super easy to push around. Check your local craigslist or ebay. People buy them new for $1200 and then move to a place with hardwood floors and turn around and sell them for $300 with almost no use at all. Or slimey salespeople sell them to Grandmas who find out they are too heavy to haul up the stairs.

But if you want a new, quality lighter vacuum. I'd recommend that you check out Riccar. Their 8 pound models outperform Orecks.

Daryl

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay maybe I'll spring for a Dyson LOL. I have a couple of older vacuums that do a decent job - we too have hard floors except for the bedrooms, and lots of rugs in the living area. We also have a Roomba - the I Robot vacuum, which has a small holding capacity (has to be emptied out often) but slides right under furniture and into places that are hard to reach. I don't like it for an "only" vacuum, but I love it for touch up and hard to get to places.

Jan

WOW....never heard of the Dyson, but it sounds like I should check it out and learn more about it, especially the pet version.

We've always had an Oreck though and now have two. The first one is 13 years old and still going strong. They are expensive but come with a service plan and we have a store and service center nearby and get them tuned up and checked every year. We also bought the Oreck shampoo machine which also works great. We have white carpet in our living room and dining room and master bedroom and with all our kids, dogs, cats and everything they all track in constantly I fight a losing battle here but have liked the job the Oreck machines do.

I've had a Kirby and we've had an Oreck

and I was never fully satisfied with either.

As I mentioned before I'm quite happy with our Dyson

especially because it doesn't bulk at sucking up shavings that we track in.

If you haven't tried a Dyson you really should
default_yes.gif
. I have a "thing" for good vacuums. My last one was an Oreck that I had serviced and cleaned every year. I thought there could be nothing better until my husband brought home a Dyson Animal
default_wub.png
, I had a yad sale a few weeks later and sold my Oreck. Sanny you really need to try one
default_smile.png

Well, the most FUN thing (if vacuuming is fun) about a Dyson is to vacuum with your old one. Do what you think is an excellent job. Then vacuum with the DYSON.
default_new_shocked.gif
OMG! :
default_new_shocked.gif
I couldn't believe it......and I am a person that vacuums everyday......when I am home.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did that, I went through with my old vacuum while hubby put the Dyson together and did what I thought was a great job, went slow, got into every corner. I then went back over it with the new one, OMG, I was sooo grossed out with what I saw in that canister :DOH! .

Amazing isn't it?
default_new_shocked.gif

BTW........LOVE your signature line.....I'm stealing that one........LOL!

To be ignorant of one's ignorance is the malady of the ignorant.

Latest posts

Back