Who lives in Idaho?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dawnsminis

Reaction score
We are a long way from actually moving, but are considering Idaho. Tell me everything you can think of about it & which part is prettier....northern or southern? Also, is there a problem with the mountain lions & bears? How do you protect your minis from them in rural areas?

I don't live in Idaho but in Central Oregon however, we do travel through there often during summer vacations. Idaho is a very pretty place. I love northern Idaho near Coeurdalene with all its beautiful lakes and also around the Stanley, Sun Valley, Hailey area (more Central). Stanley is a small town with lots of log homes and businesses and gorgeous mountains in the backdrop. Blackfoot (Eastern) is another of my favorite places when traveling through to Jackson Hole, WY and the Tetons. I like anything that isn't "big city" just because I don't like all the traffic and congestion and prefer the countryside. Couerdalene is probably the busiest of all of those areas but its beauty makes up for it. If you don't have to move for work and like the country, then I don't think you can go wrong anywhere there. Maybe some Idahoans will respond with somemore insight. Welcome to the Northwest if you make your way out here. It is full of nice people. :saludando:
default_smile.png

Edited to add: I meant that if you need to find work while in Idaho then, depending on what type of work, you may need to look at the bigger cities but the smaller cities are my favorite.
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I was born and raised here. We live between the WY and MT borders not far from West Yellowstone. There aren't bears right down here in the valley that we live in but we do have raccoons, and rumors are that there is a mountain lion around but my biggest problem has been neighbor dogs since its mostly farm ground that we are surrounded by. Sometimes we get a few head of deer running by and an occasional moose. Pretty quiet but since the town we live near has become a 4 yr college the town and surrounding area's have become more populated.

Pretty laid back really.

Good Luck in your decision!

I was born and raised here. We live between the WY and MT borders not far from West Yellowstone. There aren't bears right down here in the valley that we live in but we do have raccoons, and rumors are that there is a mountain lion around but my biggest problem has been neighbor dogs since its mostly farm ground that we are surrounded by. Sometimes we get a few head of deer running by and an occasional moose. Pretty quiet but since the town we live near has become a 4 yr college the town and surrounding area's have become more populated.

Pretty laid back really.

Good Luck in your decision!
I love the West Yellowstone area. We have been to the place (name has slipped my mind at the moment) where they house the grizzly bears and the wolves. They have great programs for the kids to learn about the animals and the last time we were there (summer 2005) they took the bears out of their enclosure and my kids got to go in and hide food for the bears in their "home" and then watch the bears come back in and search for it. They had a blast! Of course Yellowstone Park is a favorite of mine too. Definitely bringing back memories.
default_yes.gif
:

Last edited by a moderator:
I live in ID I havent lived her long I think going on about 5 years now. I moved from So Cal and personally I love it here I live about 20 min from Boise. I wouldnt go back to CA for anything.

However I cant give you tons of info as I dont normally get out of my own little area here. We have a very active ADS/CDE club here with horses of all sizes as well as a mini club which is really working on being much more active with playdays and clinics and such.

Up North near the WA border there was a R show and easy access to plenty of great shows in WA. There is always a R show in Blackfoot every year. No A shows at all yet

If you have any questions I would be glad to try and help just email me!
default_yes.gif
:

How bad are the winters? And what about grass in the summer, are most of the farms/pastures irrigated?

Well down here the winters arent bad at all. We have about a week or so it seems in the teens. I keep hearing about the horrible winters they had but.. like I said here it has been years since it has been like that. Snow a bit not tons of it - 4 seasons of course fall is my favorite.. I am sure there are others who have lived here longer that can help you more

Most pastures are irrigated. We also have fescue and nightshade. Here in my area we have low selinium levels so my minis get extra in their salt blocks. Hay is easy to find along with straw for those chilly, cold winter days. And boy do we get those. Snow used to really deep by thanksgiving time, now we are lucky to have a foot by Christmas or total for the year. But it can get really cold, it sometimes gets -20 and has even gotten to -30 my minis get a nice fur coat and do very well, but do have to have water heaters.

Hope this helps?

But it can get really cold, it sometimes gets -20 and has even gotten to -30 my minis get a nice fur coat and do very well, but do have to have water heaters.

Hope this helps?
AND THAT is why I dont live up there and live down here in Nampa our avg temp in Dec and Jan is

in Dec 39 and low is 21

in Jan

high is 37 avg low is 21

so not to bad for this native Ca whimp
default_smile.png

ha ha ha Lisa, too funny! If I had my choice I think I'd go to where its a bit warmer all year. But the summers get a toasty 90-100...... and it seems to always blow or be breezy.

Have you heard the saying if you don't like the weather in Idaho just wait 5 min longer? So true!

Hey but the good part is We ARE ONLY 11 hours drive from Vegas! LOL
default_cheers.gif
:

I live in Northern Idaho in Sagle, I moved from Southern California. Sagle is about 20 mins. from Sandpoint and a little less then an hour from Spokane, Washington. It is absolutely gorgeous country! I have four minis and we have never had a problem with any animals. We live with mountains literally all around us. We have never had any problems with cougars, bears, etc. My minis go out during the day and come in at night for their grain and individual feeding. I admit winters can get pretty cold here sometimes but my minis all get a furry winter coat and stay stalled (with runs) during the night and when it gets a bit cold during the day. Personally I love it here and would never want to move. Hay is easy to find along with straw and everything else you could need. I train for two local mini breeders and we are trying to get a mini club started here close to Sandpoint. Overall its a great place to live and its absolutely gorgeous, without the earthquakes, tornadoes, hurricanes, really hot summers, etc. Good luck and I hope you find the perfect place!!! :bgrin

Well Hello from Southeast Idaho. My husband and I were born and raised here. We have all four seasons here, sometimes all at the same time. If you don't like the weather here just wait five minutes it will change.

We live at the foot of the Rocky Mountains and the scenery if beautiful. I haven't seen any wolves or bears here an occasional moose strolls thru town just to stir things up.

We are within a few hours of Salt Lake City or Boise. A few hours from West Yellowstone and Jackson Wy. Our town is small and quiet but we are not sure how long we are going to hold on to that.

As for snow... well as my husband and son say between an inch and foot depending on which snowdrift you step in. I will tell you we do get snowed in at least once a year.

Come on up! Love to have you!

Tammi

thanks so much for all the replies...we will fly out there & drive around soon.

I live near the northern part just across the border in Washington.

We do get winters but they are actually milder up here than near the West Yellowstone area in the SE of the state. We have temps that normally run around 20-30 in the winter with a typical couple weeks of cold where it will dip into the single digits and a bit below. Wind is minimum up here in the winter. Also our climate is dry so not humid at all like what you are used to. This makes the temperatures not feel so extreme. The prairies are the exception on wind, it seems to blow quite a bit there.

Hay is usually abundant and cost is lower than in many parts of the country, pastures are mostly irrigated. Lots of horsey things to do in Washington and Idaho and Montana are growing as far as minis are concerned. A shows are mostly on the western side of Washington but you can always find an R show. Spokane has quite a large group of mini people and we are a friendly bunch.

I know someone who is moving from the area and will be selling their place probably in the spring. It is all set up for minis and they keep things real nice.

Latest posts

Back