Who let the wood ticks out!!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ashley

Reaction score
There is not a bug, rodent, critter anything that I hate worse then ticks. They make me feel nasty and think something is moving on me for days.

I have been working outside alot the last few days getting things done. Trying to find a place for the garden and pulling bushes out of the ground with my truck as they look horrible where they are. I cant figure out why anybody would of planted them there or that kind.

I came in last night with one wood tick making its way up my back. I cant touch these things at all, if I do I freak and send them flying, so thank god for Lori!

This morning there was climbing up the door sill trying to get in the house and one on the window screen, which freaks me out as the screen is broke thanks to Bella so they could easily get in the house.

I think its time to go get flee and tick stuff for the animals............maybe some for myself as well.....

I'm with ya, I HATES dem tickses!!!!!!
default_laugh.png
We havent had them on our place in the 20 years we have been here. They waited at the borders and came across this spring. We are inundated. I'm picking them off the dogs daily ( and they are on preventative, go figure) I have put poison out in the yard and as much of the pasture as I could, they have slowed, TG. Heck, I even bombed the house, just in case. I havent come across where they are, as I dont get them, but the dogs do. Adams flea and tick mist if the best stuff I have ever come across. Might spray your socks when you go out.

Do be carefull when removing ticks, dont pinch them off. Dont use anything to make them back out either. Take some needle nose tweezers, grasp them at the point of entry, twist to remove. If you make them back out, they will regurgitate anything in their belly and since they carry many diseases, you dont want that.

I'm seeing them already too Ashley, its too early for ticks, I hate them too UGH! I found one on one of our shelties the other day. I found the coolest little tool at WalMart that works so well, it pulls the head out and quickly so it won't regurgitate. It looks like a plastic teaspoon with a triangle cut out of it. I can't find where I put it from last year though so used a kitchen utensil that was similar to the tool and worked just as well. I hope its not going to be a bad year for ticks!

I walked down into my woods yesterday thinking I might find a mushroom or two. No mushrooms but picked 6 or 7 ticks off myself afterwards. My place is full of them. About time to get the Sevin Dust out and fill my powder puff (an old sock) for the horses.

Last edited by a moderator:
Donna, do you powder the horses with Sevin to repel ticks, or just use it when there are ticks to be removed? Does it work well?

I absolutely loathe woodticks. Thankfully we don't have many of them here. They are in the general area, but for some reason we've never had a problem with them here in our yard. A bad year would be finding 2 ticks total in a season, whether on us or the animals, but for me even 2 ticks is way too many! Last year we had none; the year before I think I found two on the dog & the year before that I had one and Mom had one. Can do quite well without seeing any again this year!!

I don't know that it repels them but it does kill them. Much easier to get them off then. My big guy had several on him this morning. I'll check him out this afternoon and see if there are more, less, or if they're dead.

Ew, those nasty ticks have been out here for about 3 weeks now. I ran to town and bought my sulpher/salt block a couple of weeks ago for m horses. It really does help with the ticks. Someone on the forum suggested it last year when I was having trouble with ticks on my big horses.

I absolutely lurch when I find a tick I didn't know was there, and it's belly is full. It just makes me sick to think of it.
default_wacko.png
Maybe I need to eat a little of that sulpher block myself.
default_rolleyes.gif

We're definately going to buy some Deep woods Off with the strongest Deet we can get the next time we head in to town.

I use...

Diatomaceous Earth (labeled for use around pets and children)

Natural Defense Carpet Powder

BugOff Garlic

DeFlea Shampoo & Spray

Try Equispot for the horses and they also have it for dogs. We have the deer ticks here and they think I am sirloin, pulled one off my shoulder yesterday. The Equispot works great on the minis, the package has three tubes and one tube will do about five minis. Has a nice citronella smell. Mine are out there with them and never come in with any, luv the stuff.

The other thing you can do is get a bag of pellet insectide, comes in a bag and you sprinkle it all around the perimeter of your house. It has pyrethrins in it and you can get this at your lawn and garden shop. Keeps spiders, ticks, fleas, ants etc from crossing the boundry and coming in. (I worked for an exterminator for a year and this is what they did). It is not really pellet, more like lawn fertilizer, if you know what I mean.

Too funny, I just picked up some Biospot for my dogs today! I'm a bit apprehensive about using the product, however, as it's not as "natural" as I would like it to be and I have heard of some dogs having nasty reactions to it, but I cannot spend another day with my dogs itching like they are. Today I walked a shelter dog for a fundraiser event and ended up removed two ticks from his head and neck, one of which was engored and bigger than my thumbnail. YUCK! I haven't noticed any bugs on the horses, thank goodness, but I think that's because the chickens on the property they are on do a good job of keeping bugs at bay. We haven't even had a problem with lice from the chickens.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back