Who has the most complete line of leather tack?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Black Magic

Reaction score
We have a mare in training, and after ten days of working with her, our trainer has her driving, and today I had the opportunity to drive too. It was our eleven year old son's birthday, and he also had a driving lesson with our mare. He said he will never ever forget his birthday, because it was the day of his first drivng lesson.

However, on to my question. Our trainer, who is a big horse trainer really has her harnesses customized for her horses. Anyway, while she was tacking up our mare, she kept saying, now if this.... did this.. and I have this here, and this harness doesn't... things like that. So anyway, rather then me try and make some of these itemsor have them made, while the mare is still learning, I thought I'd ask you all, if there is someone out there, that makes every sort of big horse draft horse tack for minis as well. I told her, if anyone knew, you all would.

She is a large draft horse trainer, and is finishing a Foxtrotter for Nationals. I think she was curious as to how difficult it would be to train a mini, and she seemed exceptionally happy that our mare was doing so well.

Anyway, we need to order some tack for our "R" mini and I want to give her the best selection possible. She's been such a wonderful find for us, of course, I want to do anything we can to keep the good impression she is getting of minis. (She has no clue that Horsezilla is headed in her direction as soon as I can pick up some tack for her).

TIA

God Bless,

Lynn W

D&S Lutke Harness Shop has great harnesses....also check out the other suppliers on the tack sales list right here on Lil beginnings....click on breeders connect and there will be another place to click on Tack on the left side....good luck....

For a complete line of harness and training items from bits to surcingles to harness parts I love Lisa at Ozark. She has an online catalog at www.minitack.com, but I prefer to thumb through my catalog :bgrin .

I highly recommend getting a leather harness to start with, and do NOT try one from eBay unless you know the vendor. Many of them are very poor quality leather and the makers have never seen or measured a miniature horse. I'd start with the Pleasure Harness with sidecheck option (it comes with a caveson). It also comes with breeching which is mandatory in my book everywhere but the AMHR/AMHA show ring.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ditto what Dr. Pam said(and THANK YOU, Dr. Pam, for the statement about breeching-and I would add, every horse should be trained to breeching from the start!!

I was just about to post just what Dr. Pam said. I can't imagine you'll find any better range of tack than at Ozark, and you surely won't find anyone more helpful than Lisa!

Ditto the breeching- always!!!!

Dump the checkrein
default_yes.gif
:

I agree that Ozark is wonderful. Another option if your trainer wants someone with draft AND mini experience is Chimacum Tack Shack. They are easy to deal with and can usually find anything you want and will have it at a lower price than anyone else. Their website is NOT a complete catalogue, email them to ask for what you want.

The website is www.horsedriver.com

Leia

Just want to say that we were at a show this last weekend and bought a very nice leather shetland show halter w/browband for a great price, $70.00, from PrimeDesign. Pete and Debbie worked with me to make sure the halter fit properly.

They have miniature horses and do know what they are talking about when they are working with someone on their tack needs.

I don't know what else they have as far as leather products but I do know THEIR prices are some of lowest you will find---w/out skimping on quality.

Here is a link to their site. PrimeDesign Tack & Supply

(I sound like a commercial!)

Denisee

Man, how many of those things did they sell?? Mingus got one, Mouse got one, you got one, the only reason I didn't get one was because they didn't have one left! LOL. I shopped at both Prime Design and Chimacum and they alternated who had the lowest price on stuff.

Leia

Latest posts

Back