Who else gets tired....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riverdance

Reaction score
Do not show the true horse?

I am so tired of looking at horses who have had professional shots, they look fantastic. Nice high topline, thin throat latch, long legs, lots of neck... and then you see the horse in real life and wonder if they changed horses on you?

At the World show I have seen photographs of beautiful horses attached to stalls of that horse, then when I look in the stall, I see something totally different then what the picture shows.

Sure makes it hard to buy a horse without going to the farm to see it in person. Years ago I bought several horses (that cost a lot of money) on professional shots. When I went to the farm to pick them up (two day drive one way), the horses looked NOTHING like the pictures and not one was worth keeping. I lost my shirt with those horses.

I am starting a search for a new stallion for sometime in the future and one woman I contacted refused to take any new pictures of her boy. Turns out that she just bought him and was reselling him. (must have been something wrong with him). I told her I would not even consider buying another horse without regular, non professional pictures of a horse that I could not see in person. She lost a possible sale.

Every professional shot is doctored, maybe only their top line, but they are doctored. Some professional photographers can make a donkey look like a really nice miniature horse.

I know that people can make a great looking horse look really bad, but still, I would rather have a home shot and see what the true horse looks like.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do not agree that "every professional shot is doctored". Some are, others are not. I have seen some absolutely fabulous candid shots taken in the ring and then immediately uploaded for all to view at a show and they were not doctored.

I understand, however, the point you are making so, why don't you just ask to be provided some non-professional shots? Almost everyone has either a digital camera or even a camera on their cell phone these days and could take some. If someone refuses, that should tell you something . . .

I'm one who does not doctors a photo, and have no clue how to. None of my professional or advertising ads are doctored either. Just saying, not "all" are.
default_smile.png

I have to admit though, my horses don't always look super pretty and ready to walk in the show ring... Sometimes they look like horses!!
default_laugh.png
default_laugh.png
!!

You are very right about wanting "normal" pictures though, they can really show a different horse.
default_yes.gif

Every professional shot is doctored, maybe only their top line, but they are doctored.
I totally disagree with that. While I am certain that some professional photographers do alter photos, not one professional photo on my website by the photographer who does my farm shoots, alters horses in the pictures. I will not allow it and she does not do it.

Horses that we photograph, are generally conditioned, bathed and groomed so they will look like show horses and perfect for that day. Some, however, are simply pulled in, bathed and trimmed up. What you see is what you get!

However, those same horses in winter coats will indeed look like hairy yaks and not the same as the day they were painstakingly photographed during warmer months. But, a good horse, is a good horse and the quality will shine through. No altering needed.

I understand, however, the point you are making so, why don't you just ask to be provided some non-professional shots? Almost everyone has either a digital camera or even a camera on their cell phone these days and could take some. If someone refuses, that should tell you something . . .
I have asked and have been refuses, so I move on to look at others.

I will not buy a horse anymore on professional shots. For sure not doctored shots. I have learn to tell what shots have been doctored. There is one photographer out there taking pictures of Minis who doctors just about every shot and I am not talking just about the top line.

I've come out of the ring, gone and put my horse away, then gone up to the photo trailer and waited for the photographer to bring the memory chip in. then viewed my photos and had them printed right there in front of me, so I know they are not doctored. Not to say theren't aren't some that do it, but none I've met.

I do agree that some out of the pasture shots are needed when considering a purchase. I personally can't afford a pro at this time, so all of mine are out of the pasture. I would like to have a program though to change some backgrounds, but that will need to wait too. I think there are plenty of professional photgraphers out there that are totally honest, just bring you show horse and they will take the pictures.

So agree, but ones I really have problems with are ones that you can so tell that they are doctored that makes me real hesitant to buy anything from that farm, and those don't even have to be professional photos.

You must take farm shots of your horses. I want ones that show both sides of the horse and I also want leg shots. A video is a huge plus too. People can't buy off professional pics alone I guarantee they will never look like the same horse. I know its winter time and the horses will be fuzzy but if that horse is nice people that have a good eye can look past the fuzz, you just got to take those pictures.

I had Liz M. Do photos of one of my stallions... She did NOT "doctor" any photos and actually didn't even offer!

I will say she is a very experienced photographer and does know how to get flattering shots and angles.

Isn't that why you'd pay for a professional? To get the most flattering pictures?

I have bought lots of horses and some have professional photos. Maybe I have a really good eye. I've not been disappointed.

Please don't make blanket negative statements about professional photographers that just aren't true. It would be like saying all horse sellers are dishonest, or all breeders only breed to make money on foals...

I had Liz M. Do photos of one of my stallions... She did NOT "doctor" any photos and actually didn't even offer!

I will say she is a very experienced photographer and does know how to get flattering shots and angles.

Isn't that why you'd pay for a professional? To get the most flattering pictures?

I have bought lots of horses and some have professional photos. Maybe I have a really good eye. I've not been disappointed.

Please don't make blanket negative statements about professional photographers that just aren't true. It would be like saying all horse sellers are dishonest, or all breeders only breed to make money on foals...
Absolutely! If your paying for a "professional" picture then they should be good enough to take it without "doctoring" it. I know as I have some nice shots of my Shetland which I DON'T consider a "good looking" horse and he looks really nice in them. However, if I were to go take his picture he ends up looking like an old "work"horse.

Not all photos (pro or amateur) are doctored but some of them certainly are. My advice is know the breeder/seller and only deal with those you trust.

I was about to say if the photo looks too good to be true, it may be doctored, but our 4 day old photo of Max was only cropped and is otherwise unchanged. He really did look like that. But you should still be cautious until you have more info or pics. We happened to mention to someone awhile back of our interest in a filly (from her photo) and this person happened to be present when the photos were taken and knew they were doctored. That really opened our eyes and cooled our interest.

We did buy a weanling (in 2004) just from her pro photos & a video and have not been disappointed AT ALL.

I also have to agree that not all "professional" photos are doctored. None the photos on my website have been altered. You have to remember that the photos that are taken are what that horse looked like in that split second it was taken. I have taken photos of some of my horses myself and was surprised how good they looked. I just happened to catch that "look" in that particular split second. So, you can have a horse that actually looks "awesome" without the photo having been altered.

Taking an unflattering picture of a horse can also cost you a sale. I have tried to tie horses to the fence or somewhere to get photos and the photos are horrible. Most of the time the horse won't even look at you. They look in the opposite direction or even stand weird. Being by myself it is really hard to get decent photos without having someone else to help. Wish people would visit farms like they used to before the internet. We are just so busy these days, no body seems to have the time to go to a farm and "shop". Back then you actually got to "know" your buyers.

Nort was with a trainer (Becky) and she conditioned him. She had the photo shoot done.

I saw him in person, others saw him in person and he REALLY DID look like that! His body, face or conformation was NOT altered in his pro photos. Not by me or anyone else.

I was there (and other witnesses) were there during Pooka's photo shoot. That was Pooka naturally that day! He was not even conditioned! Just bathed and groomed by my friend Jules. Jules, Parmela and Parm's friend was there that day and they know that the horses at the shoot that day looked like that in real life. Pooka's photos did not get doctored either. Not by me or anyone else.

Liz did not alter them and she didn't offer to do it either.

So NO, not ALL pro photos have the conformation altered!

I wouldn't sell a horse from pro pics. I always go out and take recent ones (if I have not gotten recent ones lately) even if the horse is fat, furry and filthy. I show the horse as it stands.

If someone won't show you recent pics then you're smart to walk away.

But I get tired of people saying ALL pro pics are altered. I know for a fact they are not.

I have had that happen a couple of times. Travel 8 + hours to see a horse that looks nothing like the pictures provided.

In one case it was a height issue and I told the seller that I would be bringing my measuring stick as the horse needed to be the height I was told. She said that she and her husband had measured three different times to be sure.

When I arrived I knew without using the stick the horse was taller than stated. Measured anyway and turned around and drove home, over 8 hours with an empty trailer.

Very trying
default_new_shocked.gif
default_no.gif

I agree that many are doctored, but not all. The good news is that we as the general buying public are becoming wiser about this issue and more savvy oursevles with our own computer. So what I advise every person that contacts me about a horse for sale is to take the pictures I send them (I always make sure the DPI is high enough) and enlarge it to 400% and LOOK VERY CLOSELY at it. If a picture has been doctored, I don't care how good someone is at it, if you make the picture large enough and look at it closely (I personally go around the entire outline of the horse) you can see if something has been altered. Could someone still fool me? Maybe, but not very likely. But even if I feel the pro pictures haven't been doctored to change conformation (I don't mind the removal of a lead or something in the background) I still must have just general conformation shots - both sides, legs, head, bite and preferably a video. Folks, take a video and stop it at every frame...talk about getting to see the true horse!
default_new_shocked.gif

It's a shame people are getting negative over pro pics. I've gone to a bit of expense to get nice pro shots of my horses and can promise that the horse was not altered in them.

I use a pro because their skill with a camera tends to catch the horse better then the average person will, and let's face it, it's very easy to make a stunning horse look like a donkey if you catch him at the wrong angle!
default_wink.png

But also my pro shots tend to be taken at shows so my horses are well conditioned, cliped and presented to the best of my abilities. If someone views that same horse in the paddock a season later it may not look the same, but that has nothing to do with doctoring photos.

I think a balance needs to be struck. My last purchase I was able to view many pro shots from show days as well as a natural paddock image. I then viewed the horse in person, I think this last step is the most important as it is the only way you will truely see what you are buying.

Folks, take a video and stop it at every frame...talk about getting to see the true horse!
default_new_shocked.gif
I have to laugh at this one because that is exactly what I did with the video Parmela (StarRidgeAcres) sent me of Toffee! Not to see if it had been doctored, mind you, but to really see the horse's movement! Another one bought sight unseen we are thrilled with. How could I forget Toffee?

Last edited by a moderator:
I am afraid I agree.

I do not think the intention here was to suggest that every professional picture is automatically doctored, but to be very aware of the fact that some, maybe even a lot of them, are.

I have opened Mini World and fallen around laughing!

Anyone know the picture on the back of Mad Magazine- where you would fold it up to get the "true" picture?

Well, if you do not mind folding your magazine you can have hours of fun putting the necks back where they should be and seeing the "real " horse.

People- it is FRAUD to do this if the animal is being offered for sale or being campaigned at stud- it is false representation.

It is also laughable.

And it wastes peoples valuable time.

Of course we want to show our horses as well as we can, we all do, there is no harm in that, or in clipping, grooming, and generally showing the animal off to every advantage- BUT a good producer can take that animal form you, out of the field, and turn it back into the lovely animal you photographed last year- so, no harm done. When you alter an image there is nothing you can do to make the horse live up to it.

It is like having a professional "glamour" picture (gosh I hope that means to you what it does to me!) with soft lighting and loads of make up, and digital enhancement.

It is not the real you.

I've always taken pictures of my own horses. Sure, they're not professional, flattering, or show ready but they show my horses how they are. Side shots, front, and hind.

If I did have a stallion then I would personally only take pictures of those four sides. Heck, I'd be able to show monthly pictures, or even seasonally. I'm one of those people who is OCD about taking pictures to see how my horses have improved or haven't.

I myself have looked for stallions in the future and have found this to be difficult. I personally don't want to see pictures of the stallion in show. I want to see videos and conformation pictures. I wish more people did this so then I'd be able to see what I want or don't want. AND, no stretched necks! We need natural head sets!

I think it's silly to buy a horse without seeing it in person weather you have true photos or not, a video, whatever....it's just a bad idea. If I am considering buying even a 5 thousand dollar horse I would much rather spend the 300-400 dollars on a plane ticket to go see the horse in person before committing. It's the only way to be sure you won't be disappointed and the only way to be sure you can see everything....

If you are buying a horse for 1000 dollars, well I can understand not wanting to spend half the amount on a plane ticket to go see it...... but at that lower price you shouldn't be expecting anything that's going to go out and be a national champion.

I can certainly understand wanting "true" photos in addition to pro photos, but personally I don't deem that a reasonable substitute to seeing the horse in person.

I'm another who disagrees that all pro photos are doctored. While many are, the blanket statement is simply not true.

Latest posts

Back