Who else gets tired....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I understand that Riverdance was upset with the fact that she was interested in a colt (that was for sale) and the seller did not want to send her a few non-pro pictures.. I feel it is Riverdance's right to ask for more (non-pro)pictures if she is interested in purchasing..
That is all fine but then expanding that to the dismissive "fact" that all pro photos were doctored or that toplines cannot be conditioned or that any horse that looks good in said photo must be photoshopped as opposed to being stood up and showing very well with expression - is bound to illicit a response.

People are going to respond to comments like that... and I would hate for a spirited debate to be shut down just because the exchanges got a tiny bit heated or passionate. Both sides should be allowed to politely "blow off steam".

There are a couple horses on your website that are pictured completely cut out from the background and photoshopped onto a flat background... that is much more difficult to tell conformation than one in a natural setting. So you, yourself extensively are using photoshopped images and professional images... so why is it so bad if others do, too?
That confused me a bit, too, disneyhorse.... but I do understand Riverdance wanting to see non-pro photos as well if she was interested in buying a particular horse. It is just the condemnation of pro photos being used or the effects of proper conditioning etc. on show horses that is a bit confusing.
default_unsure.png

I have to agree with Mary Lou, sometimes our thoughts come across differently when they are posted. My son's favorite saying is "Relax, you're making a scene!"
default_wink.png

Riverdance, I can understand your frustration when wanting additional (non-pro) shots of a potential colt. Three years ago, when I was looking for a show colt I inquired about a beautiful buckskin colt. When I asked for more photos they referred me to a link that simply had more pro shots of this colt. I was scared to go off those alone and there was very little conversation about the colt. A few months later, a breeder had an awesome colt with show photos but explained in depth her feelings about the colt. Well, I went to Kentucky and loaded up the horse in a flash. The ironic thing is that my colt was shown by the same trainer as the other colt and I was able to see him at every show. He ended up being a nice colt but I was much happier with the one I ended up with. So, kinda funny how things work out but an honest conversation is a real plus and also a drive/flight to see the horse is a must.
default_smile.png

For the record: My Liz photos weren't photoshopped. Heck, they weren't even cropped. All the photos, had the handler, leads and props in every frame. I didn't care but felt as an aspiring photographer, I would never take those gorgeous photos without my photographer's stamp being on every single shot.

I'm happy to report that my horse photos, pro and ammy, reflect the real horses. Not so much as they are rigjt now in their winter outfits, though
default_wink.png

The only doctoring I do is to remove manure, people, dogs, fence posts, etc. Clean up the back and foreground. We have a dog that loves photo shoots because he knows he'll get to eat the bait! He's always in the picture. As far as making the horse look better? I am not that talented. Its easier to start with a nice horse that's well groomed than to spend hours with one photo on photoshop.

I understand that Riverdance was upset with the fact that she was interested in a colt (that was for sale) and the seller did not want to send her a few non-pro pictures.. I feel it is Riverdance's right to ask for more (non-pro)pictures if she is interested in purchasing..

Everyone.. you must understand that when people post here, it can come across as totally different in what they intended to say.. I see this happen many times..
Things can come across different than they were intended, but it's kind of a different thing when the poster actually writes something specific that is different than what she perhaps intended to say.

In this instance, Riverdance would have gotten much more sympathy if she had stated that she's very frustrated with this one particular seller who will not send additional non-pro photos of the colt. Not only did her initial post state that ALL professional photos are doctored, she actually told us all to look again if we think that toplines at least haven't been altered in the pro photos we look at. Her posts most definitely referred to pro photos in general, because she didn't limit it to just the few she was looking at of one particular colt. So yes, it does pay to read what one has written before hitting the 'post' button--otherwise one ends up posting and saying sorry, I didn't word that right, what I was meaning is this....

Thanks for reposting what ML said as it clarifies the spirit of this thread. I also would not buy a horse with only pro shots as a reference. I have frequently bought horses I do not first see in person. I think most if us with anything going on have. I've been happy with results but while I love the beauty of pro pictures, farm candid shots from all angles are a must or it's no deal. They nake horses every day and it's a buyer's market. Demand what you require and if it's not provided, I'd keep shopping elsewhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am confused... at least HALF of the photos on your website have a professional photographer's stamp on them... Washburn, Liz, Schatzberg...

All but one photo on your "Driving Horses for Sale" page is by a professional photographer... and all but two photos on your "Stallions for Sale" page are by professional photographers... so how are you "the one who takes all of the pictures of your horses" ? I think it's these conflicting blanket statements that is confusing everyone.

No one denies that some photos are touched up. The degree of photoshopping really depends. There are a couple horses on your website that are pictured completely cut out from the background and photoshopped onto a flat background... that is much more difficult to tell conformation than one in a natural setting. So you, yourself extensively are using photoshopped images and professional images... so why is it so bad if others do, too?

Andrea
Look again, those photos are accomplishments that I and my horses and horses I bred have done. NOT horses that are for sale. I have three stallions for sale (and are sold), that have professional shots. They also have photos I took of them, except Windchaser. Windchaser has proven himself as a stud in the amount of money that I have sold his foals for and the several that I kept. Most of his foals look alike, a very consistant stallion, no matter what mare he is bred to. He does not need to have other photos of him at his age. But if someone wanted photos of him today, I would certanly take them.

Also, if you had read ALL of my posts, you would have seen where I said I WISH I COULD AFFORD A PROFESSIONAL PHOTOGRAPHER Still, I would send and have sent other pictures of my horses. Even in the dead of winter where, as I have posted before, one can not see conformation under all that hair. In MN the horses looked like Yaks.

As for photo shopped pictures on my web site, there are just TWO. I had just bought the program and was playing with it. One of them is a driving mare that is not for sale and another is a mare that I sold and it was under the sold horses. (those people came to my home to buy). I have never lied about my horses, or tried to make them something they were not. Many times I have been so honest, I have lost sales.

I am sure that you must have better things to do than go over every page of my web site to try and find something to attack me about.

default_deadhorse2.gif
:BeatDeadHorse
default_frusty.gif
:frusty Once again I will say, next time I will read what I say so that people do not flame me about my frustrations and do not spend so much time looking for something on my web site to try to condemn me. (sure hope you liked the web site).
default_cheekkiss.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Once again I will say, next time I will read what I say so that people do not flame me about my frustrations and do not spend so much time looking for something on my web site to try to condemn me. (sure hope you liked the web site).
I wouldn't sweat it. Who knows, you may get some sales from someone scrutinizing your site.
default_wink.png

Latest posts

Back