Who deworms there horses in the winter

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Add me to the 8-week list! I deworm every 8 weeks - year round, and also rotate deworming products.

Liz R.

We worm every 8 weeks year round. We do rotate also. Glad to know we were doing it right!
biggrin.gif

I recently put my guys on a daily dewormer, and will continue to deworm them with 1.87% Ivermectin paste every other month.

This helps keep the worm build-up lower between dewormings and isn't quite a huge shock to the horses system when they get the paste.

Erin

well, I've tried both, and I prefer to keep my working schedule year round. every 6 weeks in the summer and every 8 in the winter... same as my farrier schedule as well. When the farrier comes, you know its time to worm. The few years I skipped winter wormings I felt he had more of a belly and wasn't as soft cotaed. He probably had a small worm load. So now I just do it year round.

I was doing a daily wormer once a month for 7 days and then a quarterly ivermectin......BUT due to my desire to go organic on my farm...combined with worm's becoming resistant....I am now going to treat all my farm animals the same.......I will only worm when actually needed based on testing.......I have sheep and they are well known for parasite problems I just sent samples and have very low worm counts.....so no need to worm....I also am using pasture rotation as well.......oh and the last time I wormed was over 6 months ago.

We worm in the even months changing paste wormers and also using Panacur.

We deworm adult horses every other month and rotate wormers and then we deworm our foals monthly starting at 30 days of age, through 12 months.

Every other month all year.

Panacur then Zimectrin then Strongid and start again.

Robin

When worming foals with the paste wormer...what weight do you use??

I have been using the 100# mark, but wonder if that is what other use....

Quick Question .....

When worming every 8 weeks ...do i use the 250 pound mark or is it broken down?

(my mini's are all around 250 pounds currently).

Also, would i do my APHA 6month old filly every 8 weeks as well?

Leeana

LoveCoco said:
Quick Question .....When worming every 8 weeks ...do i use the 250 pound mark or is it broken down?

(my mini's are all around 250 pounds currently).

Also, would i do my APHA 6month old filly every 8 weeks as well?

Leeana

532545[/snapback]

If they are 250 pds., than try counting the marks that would add up to 250. The wormer should have instructions to tell all this.

Foals alot of people do every month, I do every other month and mine are perfectly clean.

Yes, you need to deworm on an annual schedule to keep up with the hatching eggs in your horse's body. HOWEVER, each area in North America has different needs due to the type of parisite populations.

The smartest thing you can do for your animals is discuss their deworming needs with your local vet. He/she knows what the requirements are for your area and which wormers should be used when. Just rotating dewormers every 'X' weeks might do the trick but I would rather make the quick phone call to be sure.

JMHO

Latest posts

Back