White line Disease

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

happy appy

Reaction score
Looking for info! White Line disease, advanced. What you did for treatment, outcome, pictures if possible. I have been doing research and have a plan in place for the rescue donkeys but want to know some real life experiences.

When my AQHA stallion got White Line disease what we did at first was cut back the affected hoof wall. Then made a shoe to support the rest of the hoof wall. I was told to flush the affected area with diluted bleach. This helped keep it from getting worse but it didn't help it get better. It improved by leaps and bounds when I quit using the bleach and used Hoof Heal just once a day. The stuff stinks but oh boy does it work. I keep it on hand in case one of the horses gets a touch of thrush. A couple of days application and it's cleared up.

I had horrible white line problems with my boys for some time. Seemed like the more I did and dug and bleached and soaked, the worse it got. My farrier cleaned up the feet and cleaned up the big separation and then he put a compound he mixed up in the space to fill in. The compound eventually grew out but for awhile it looked exactly like the hoof and you could not tell where the space was any more. Until it grew out, it protected more stuff from packing in that space created by the white line disease. for management I put 4-6 inches of pea gravel in a loafing area where my guys spend their evenings. that worked like little brooms to make healthy hard concave feet with no white line disease and no thrush. It has been gone for several years now and my farrier says my guys have fantastic feet. There was a concern posted by somebody about using pea gravel and horses ingesting it. I have a modified goat feeder that catches fines under the rack where I put my hay..... My guys do not eat their food off of the gravel. I have rubber mats under my feed buckets as well. This is what I did for my white line management. Prior to making these changes I was beating my head against the wall trying to buy any product I could think of. What did not work for me... bleach... lysol... pine tar... hooflex...trimming... digging... supplements... you name it .. I probably tried it. I can probably find some photos of the separations.. I will look..

003.JPG

found a photo.. as you can see the hole is deep, I put in the hoof pick at the time to show depth and sent this photo to a farrier to see if I could get help. this is not a current photo (2.5 years ago), my guys have really nice tight white lines and lovely feet now. This foot is not a neglected foot, but one that saw a farrier around every 5 to 6 weeks. Hard to believe but white line disease can sure give you problems and make something that is hard to treat and looks terrible. Hope the photo helps add some information for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
White Lightning Gel and White Lightning solution (mix with white vinegar) is expensive but really works. The gel can be applied to resected areas and packed with cotton. Keeping in a bedded stall and only walked on asphalt helps keep clean and dry. No dirt or mud!

X-rays are instrumental to helping the farrier remove as much hoof as possible.

Here are some before and after trim pictures of her feet. Sorry about the bad pictures, it was -34 F that day. The vet feels it was mainly from poor trims. Every foot was at a different angle and not balanced.

donkey hooves 003.JPG

donkey hooves 010.JPG

I like soaking in copper sulfate. Dilute it in water (10% or so) and have your horse stand in it for about 10 - 15 mins a day. I've also had good luck mixing copper sulfate with crisco and packing into the frog grooves for thrush!

This is really serious stuff. You can manage it, he can recover, but you have to be faithful about the care involved. Beings from Florida the vets and farriers down there will tell you Floridians invented seedy toe.(white line) Its all over the place and yes it has crossed my path too. Its easy for a fungus to work it's way up there and leave your horse with a hollow foot especially if your horse has been a product of neglect in the past nutritionally and by bad hoof trims. An x ray should have been done first before the farrier did his resection. Once opened, you can take a syringe (without the needle) and shoot something good up inside to flush. I used merthoiine. but the white lightning gel is very good too. Then you have to wrap it up and keep it clean. Keep in mind its wide open! . I used vet wrap with duct tape and keep the horse away from mud or anything that could get his feet wet. That's key. Then unwrap and clean it every other day but you have to be religious about it to get anywhere. Also the horse should have been put on Farriers Formula or Biotin and don't forget a good feed program.. I think in this matter your farrier put the cart before the horse so back track. I don't really remember because it was long ago but i think I may have keep it unwrapped while in a stall with clean shavings. Ask your vet about that. Good luck with this.

Actually my farrier was just doing a trim on the new mare and knocked the front of the hoof with the hoof pick. The front just collapsed. She said that it sounded hollow. Once the section crumbled she had to clean it out. There was nothing right behind the wall. It was open space, hollow. She hadn't even started the trim at that point.

Goodness Tina you must have had a heart attack. So sorry.

I battled minor white line spearation (like the posted photo but not quite as bad) for YEARS...added in California Trace Vitamens and all 8 hooves of my Gypsy Horses resolved...it was amazing...I wouldn't believe it if I hadn't tried it...(they were already on vitamen/mineral supplements over the years of various types with no improvement)...I did occasionally use vetericyn & hydrogen peroxide on the feet too...

Sandi

I just did a quicky search for you. Go to youtube! There's lots of new and good info on there.

I did almost have a heart attack Marty! I couldn't believe my eyes. The donkeys came from a very reputable place. I just talked with my farrier again and about some of the points listed. She still wants to try the plan that we have in place first.

Latest posts

Back