Which wheels for my cart ? What about Northern Tool wheels??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That wheel is built very much like a bike wheel. its a little narrow in the hub to take much abuse. Its good points are it has threaded spokes that can be adjusted when the wheel becomes loose, and it has solid tires that wont go flat. Northern also sells wheels like the GS wheels with heavier spokes and a wider hub. but the spokes are not adjustable. the wheels on my carts do not have adjustable spokes either and Ive not had any problems with them.

My neighbor just got a set of these, they look just like mine that I got from harbor freight. DR

Northern Tool

Last edited by a moderator:
I had looked at those..The only thing is I have to have a 20 in. wheel and they do have a load capacity of #250...I have seen wheels like these on Mini carts before.

One should keep in mind that 'solid' rubber tires will give a rougher ride that air-filled; this can make quite a difference in the ride on most 'pipe' carts, which have only the small coil springs under the seat as their 'suspension'.

I don't know where they came from,but the tires on my 'genuine' Frontier Trading Co. cart were 2. 25, not 1. 75...and had a 5" hub. Don't recall axle diameter, do remember that I was able to order new bearings from Frontier(what a loss that they are gone....)--and I am still using the 'original' wheels/tires after about @ 17 years, after taking them to a bike shop and having puncture-resistant tubes and 'goop' installed.

Margo

With the driving I'm going to be doing, which is on the road and in a few parades I think they will be fine..I had to find wheels with a 3/4 axle and called around a bit with no success.And I did see a lot of Mini cart wheels being sold with 3in hubs with only #180 capacity..How lucky you are to have a Frontier Cart..It's a shame that a lot of these companys have closed..Mine is a Graber..And as you see someone swapped out the wheels.And I can always put different tires on it..

my cart.jpg

Wow, I never realized there were so many differences between company's wheels, .

Soooo, what did you end up going with or have you?

I couldn't have answered any of your questions (the detailed ones) because I didn't know. All I knew was that even just driving my carts around here on our property (most of it is rough - and the back pasture has tufts of heavy duty grasses as well as low spots/holes where we've pulled out Mimosa and pine trees). Understand that my situation is different than a lot of other folks - I am a very substancial person and even just having one tire drop into a large horse hoof divot in the sandy portion of one of my pastures causes serious pressure changes and torgue on the tires. I envy those of you who have been able to use the same wheels after updating to a heavier tube and goop! All that did was create a huge mess when I had to walk the cart back to the barn - eeeewwwww - when I tried that option. That green "slime" is nasty stuff - especially when you get it on your hands and clothes when removing the tire...

Even when Merle and Willis (Fairview) asked me some questions - I took the phone out to the barn and had to take things apart to anwer their questions. Finally, took the cart to them and just had them "fix it"... One look - "....OHHHH, you have the wrong type of axle. We'd need to change that out first....". Huh. OK, then. Cost? OK, that's do-able so lets change it up...

What does riveted wheels mean? What part of the wheel is actually riveted? The spokes?

Maybe that's why the cart had it's wheels changed out - the previous owner couldn't deal with the "headache" of finding tires that would work/fit the cart, LOLOLOL! Who knows?

Paula I just love your post and pictures...I went ahead and got the wheels from Northern freight..They do have a weight rating of #250..I did call Fairview and theirs were #180 pound rating and they were riveted..I have no idea about them either..While looking around, a lot of companies now give you the option for different axle sizes..And if these don't work out,I'm going to metal wheels...lol..So I think these will do in the mean time..I'll take a picture when I go to the barn..Which reminds me,I 'm late feeding..lol

my feeding is late too and we may lose power... rain doesn't bother me or the ponies, but lightning? No way - since most are tied up outside to metal fence posts ... We've had lightning off and on today with this rain... While I adore the rain (want good hay this year!!), too much at once like Houston got yesterday/last nite - would suck!

Hmm, the size/weight/rivets are interesting. We'll see how long they last and if they were a better purchase overall than others... Errr - I weigh more than that
default_sad.png
. Until this post - I hadn't even thought to check on weight limits on the cart tires/wheels!
default_frusty.gif
No wonder I've been using my forecart with pairs! O - well that might be because it's fun!

Wehre did you find metal wheels that would work with your ez entry cart?

Well,I'm not the lightest either...lol..Oh well..We are more than our weight..You always look like your having fun and really enjoy the pony's..After all,isn't that what life is for???? Here is a picture of my cart with the new wheels..And here is where I found the metal wheels..They are in Canada..And I don't know the price of them..But,they are my next option...I'm saving my pennies...lol..Literally...lol Pattys Pony Place.

100_2086.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup, indeed, that is what life is for!!

I like the looks of your wheels/tires. I have that website - will need to check them out again. Last time I looked (couple of months?), they didn't have any prices and while I loved the pics, I didn't pursue anything in that direction right now...

I seem to keep leaving myself signed in today and you and I are playing forum tag right now, LOL
default_smile.png

When speaking to load rating for a wheel, the number you see is for vertical loading. It does not reflect the wheels ability to handle the worst enemy for the cart wheel, lateral loading. You should be FAR more interested in lateral loading. We have always called the wheel you are contemplating, "the ugly wheel". The one we used to use had a minimum lateral loading capacity of over 700 lbs. Do anything but Sunday drives on smooth surfaces and you will need all of that loading capacity and then some. I have never seen the word "riveted" used with wheels like this. Ours were "welded" not riveted. Lateral strength seems to come from wider and beefier hubs and along with a stronger spoke provides the proper triangulation to better withstand lateral loading. And I may be allowed, the wheel is the heart of the cart, scrimping on the wheel should be avoided. You can get by with cheap elsewhere in the cart, but the wheel should be the best you can afford.

Bb

Who has had a wheel taco at a combined driving event years ago. The driver flipped the cart upright and not knowing there was a hub failure got back in and drove pell mell for 12 seconds to place second in the event. Curious wheel that would regain it's shape after folding under the cart and continue on. No not really, that's why we cherish this wheel so much. Sorry and no this particular wheel will not work for your application. You are on the right track, just take time to choose the best.

The removal of links to other website makes LB nearly worthless as a place to find equine resources. Some of these companies would likely advertise with LB if business comes to them from forum members, but having links removed will almost guarantee that they never will. This is a major reason why many no longer visit this site.

Peggy, I would greatly appreciate if you would PM your links to me (or email them to [email protected]). I like to know and share all available resources, whether they advertise here or not.

susanne this was a long standing rule I'm trying to ease up on. Feel free to post links to pertinent items, other than links to strictly Miniature Horse and Pony tack vendors who are not members of Small Horse Connect. I hope that's clear if not please let me know. I'm happy to help anyone understand the rules.

When speaking to load rating for a wheel, the number you see is for vertical loading. It does not reflect the wheels ability to handle the worst enemy for the cart wheel, lateral loading. You should be FAR more interested in lateral loading. We have always called the wheel you are contemplating, "the ugly wheel". The one we used to use had a minimum lateral loading capacity of over 700 lbs. Do anything but Sunday drives on smooth surfaces and you will need all of that loading capacity and then some. I have never seen the word "riveted" used with wheels like this. Ours were "welded" not riveted. Lateral strength seems to come from wider and beefier hubs and along with a stronger spoke provides the proper triangulation to better withstand lateral loading. And I may be allowed, the wheel is the heart of the cart, scrimping on the wheel should be avoided. You can get by with cheap elsewhere in the cart, but the wheel should be the best you can afford.

Bb

Who has had a wheel taco at a combined driving event years ago. The driver flipped the cart upright and not knowing there was a hub failure got back in and drove pell mell for 12 seconds to place second in the event. Curious wheel that would regain it's shape after folding under the cart and continue on. No not really, that's why we cherish this wheel so much. Sorry and no this particular wheel will not work for your application. You are on the right track, just take time to choose the best.
I agree..But for now they will do me..It was hard trying to find a wheel for a 3/4 axle..I haven't put him to the cart yet and will likely just do short road rides and ride in our parade this year...If and when these fail I will go to steel wheels..But for now, I just got the ones from Northern tool..I will see how they do..

I apologize for breaking any rules..
Peggy.....I need to apologize to you. I don't think you posted anything wrong. Debby has been trying to ease up on some of this and I just didn't quite understand what she wanted.

It can be quite confusing for us at times, especially with all the changes we have made lately. Sorry
default_wacko.png

So like Debby said.........

Feel free to post links to pertinent items, other than links to strictly Miniature Horse and Pony tack vendors who are not members of Small Horse Connect.

That sounds like a VERY good solution -- and one that will enable people to share important information. Thank you!

Peggy, I also bought wheels from northern tools to put on my wooden pleasure cart. I will keep the wood wheels for shows and cdes, but the arenas where I board now are for riding and jumping horses, and a bit deep for my two minis. I bought the pneumatics with the 2.25" wide tires, so hopefully they will "float" on the sandy-type footing. I also got them an inch or so smaller, so hopefully they will fit nicely on my smaller boy. I tried to put them on today, but did not bring a large enough socket to pull the wooden wheels. When I get them on, I will post pictures.

Latest posts

Back