Which wheels for my cart ? What about Northern Tool wheels??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

izmepeggy

Reaction score
I'm replacing the wheels on my cart and have been looking at these I was wondering if anybody has these and have you had trouble with either..I like the look of the Kingstons but they look like they would be easier to taco on me..And the ones from CTM do look more substantial but looks can be deceiving..Thank you for any input.
default_smile.png
First one is Kingston. The second from CTM.

C2201.WT_DSC03403.JPG

CTMProducts-Parts-Wheels-20WheelRim.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wish I ould help but to be honest I can't even say if both brands will fit all carts or if there is a difference of some kind. Good luck, hopefully someone will be able to give you some useful info.

I would choose the CTM --I have a CTM cart and the wheels on it are good. I prefer the 24" tires over the 20" ones --they used to sell heavy duty 20" ones and they would be good but I am not sure they are still available. If not, the regular ones are not poor quality so should be a safe bet.

Wish someone would chime in that has used Kingston. I know that a lot of their stuff comes from Mexico which is why their prices are cheaper. However, I bought a cart cover from them and it is good quality even though it is not a form fitting as a brand name cover. It is still water repellant and the good thing in not being form fitting is that I can use it on different carts.

That is why I also posted about Kingston..Sometimes cheaper price means cheaper quality and I want wheels that will last and not taco..If you know what I mean..hehehe..Also I think the price on the CTM website is just for the wheel..I'll have to call them Monday and see..I have to have 20" wheels because it's for a 33in. Mini..I found a nice Graber EE cart that someone put what looks like trailer tires on it..I have my Mini pulling a tire now so it won't be long before I have him working in the cart..

I have the CTM 24" heavy duty wheels, and have had the standard wheels in the past. We've abused our EE cart out on the trail, in the woods, and in pleasure driving in general, including going over tree stumps and off of a double railroad tie wall (not intentionally), yet I've never had a wheel taco. It is possible that they have changed wheels since I bought ours, but the 24" heavy duty wheel on their Accessories page looks like the same wheel.

This is not to speak against the Kingston wheels -- I have no experience with them. I would definitely ask them how wide the hub is and how heavy the spokes are -- and if they can be tightened should they loosen. For good measure, I'd ask the same questions of CTM.

I have been leaning towards the CTM wheels..I'll call them Monday and see if they have the heavy duty wheels in the 20"..Thank you for every bodys input

I have the CTM 24" heavy duty wheels, and have had the standard wheels in the past. We've abused our EE cart out on the trail, in the woods, and in pleasure driving in general, including going over tree stumps and off of a double railroad tie wall (not intentionally), yet I've never had a wheel taco. It is possible that they have changed wheels since I bought ours, but the 24" heavy duty wheel on their Accessories page looks like the same wheel.

This is not to speak against the Kingston wheels -- I have no experience with them. I would definitely ask them how wide the hub is and how heavy the spokes are -- and if they can be tightened should they loosen. For good measure, I'd ask the same questions of CTM.
I know you do a lot of driving so you have put wheels to the test...hehehe..How is Mingus the super boy???
default_wub.png

I have been trying to call CTM and their number is disconnected and no answer on their toll free number..Are they still in business??

I got an email reply to a question a couple weeks ago but haven't tried to order the shaft tips I need. Last fall their phones were not working--the toll free # was going to some college in California I think it was. I did not try to call this time.

Then I found these.. gs cart. found out I have a 3/4 axle so it narrows it down to the wheels I can use..

G&S wheels.jpg

Mingus is doing great (as are Scarlett and Flash), but he and I both are a bit fluffy and need some conditioning. We have a few days of good weather forecast, so I'm hoping to get out and drive.

The folks at CTM are always difficult to reach by phone. It is a small company, and they also run another company in the same space. I haven't been by recently, but I hope all is well.

GS Cart is a good company from what I hear...I'd definitely talk with them.

I did send them an email this morning..I'll see if they email me back a phone number..If not I will go with the GS wheels..They look about the same as the CTM wheels..I just hate it when I want to buy something and can't get hold of anybody..lol..

Since you are in Kentucky and would have to have them sent to you, you might consider the wheels from Fairview Country Sales - Millersburg, OH - 330-359-1501. Merle, Willis and Jr are great folk to deal with. They don't have a website, but do send out catalogs. The wheels and tires come in 20, 24 & 26" sizes.

I have the heavy duty wheels, with no air tires. It did change the ride a bit especially on the ez entry one with the little springs under the seat. Not quite as smooth, but worth it to not have any more flat tires! For that particular cart, I also had to upgrade my axle - a little wider and heavier duty, but again, soooo worth it. My other cart is a sulky style with no axle...

Haven't used the cart (s) much since getting them back - have been doing mostly ground driving babies and working the pairs to other vehicles, LOL. Just enuf to notice the difference in "ride" and to realize athat I still like them since I won't have any more flat tires. I don't expect the metal to waffle - but it probably still could if torqued wrong - they are still essentially bike tire/wheels.

CTM is still in business.But their number has been changed to : 1-503-647-0082. But sadly they don't carry wheels in my size axle..I called G&S but their wheels are Heavy Duty Riveted Wheels.I don't know a thing about riveted wheels..
default_frusty.gif
I will call Fairview and see what I can find out..

Since you are in Kentucky and would have to have them sent to you, you might consider the wheels from Fairview Country Sales - Millersburg, OH - 330-359-1501. Merle, Willis and Jr are great folk to deal with. They don't have a website, but do send out catalogs. The wheels and tires come in 20, 24 & 26" sizes.

I have the heavy duty wheels, with no air tires. It did change the ride a bit especially on the ez entry one with the little springs under the seat. Not quite as smooth, but worth it to not have any more flat tires! For that particular cart, I also had to upgrade my axle - a little wider and heavier duty, but again, soooo worth it. My other cart is a sulky style with no axle...

Haven't used the cart (s) much since getting them back - have been doing mostly ground driving babies and working the pairs to other vehicles, LOL. Just enuf to notice the difference in "ride" and to realize athat I still like them since I won't have any more flat tires. I don't expect the metal to waffle - but it probably still could if torqued wrong - they are still essentially bike tire/wheels.
Thank you Paula for the info..I will give them a call.

I'm confused now..hehe. Fairview has the heavy duty riveted wheels also..But the hub is 5"..Their medium weight is a little over 3"..Would love to have the 5"..Now comes another question..My axles have a slide that you can adjust the width for the hub..Can that be taken off??? My cart is a Graber EE cart..Every time I turn around I have another dilemma..

You can change the bearings on most wheels to fit your axle. You just need to know the width of the hub to match the length of your axle.

You can change the bearings on most wheels to fit your axle. You just need to know the width of the hub to match the length of your axle.
I have thought of that.But then again I would have to hunt bearings with the same diameter for inside the wheel and the axle..Another dilemma...lol..

Latest posts

Back